Matthews vs Dahlin

Matthews vs Dahlin

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
Who's better: two year old first overall pick or brand new first overall pick?
We can do this in two years with Dahlin and the new projected first and I'd expect similar results.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
To be fair this isn't a Buffalo thing, he was this hyped before the lottery. He's more hyped than even Hedman, Doughty, and Jones. And he's WAY ahead of everyone else you mentioned (as a prospect). It's not like the Sabres won the lottery and suddenly we're all pumping him up with unrealistic expectations. This is what the scouts and hockey people have been saying all year. We've been told he is in the conversation as best prospect not named McDavid since Crosby.
We heard the same thing when we drafted Matthews. What a coincidence.

Reactions: Rasmi

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
To be fair this isn't a Buffalo thing, he was this hyped before the lottery. He's more hyped than even Hedman, Doughty, and Jones. And he's WAY ahead of everyone else you mentioned (as a prospect). It's not like the Sabres won the lottery and suddenly we're all pumping him up with unrealistic expectations. This is what the scouts and hockey people have been saying all year. We've been told he is in the conversation as best prospect not named McDavid since Crosby.
With the other person in this poll who has established himself as an elite player in his first 2 years in the league. The others would be Stamkos, Tavares, and Eichel. I haven't seen anyone go on record (at least of importance) saying he is clearly the best Non-McDavid prospect since Crosby.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
The tough thing with this poll is what circumstance are we looking at this?

Is it Matthews at the draft vs Dahlin? Because I take Dahlin

Is it the situation of Matthews right now vs Dahlin? Because I would have to really sit down and look at it... and it would depend on my team. Do I have Eichel or another strong C who is under 25? Because then I probably take Dahlin. Am I a team like Montreal or Chicago? Because then I take Matthews.

This is a close close call. Dahlin May be the biggest unknown in the last 10 years of 1st overalls not because his bust potential - but due to his position and individuality. We haven’t seen a defensive prospect like him likely ever.

It’s the tale of two studs - just a lot of unknown for one but the potential for limitless payoff.

In a pure value vacuum - I probably take Matthews after crying about having to make the decision and staying up all night. But honestly this isn’t a “pretty easily” one way poll.

My fear is Dahlin will come in next season and be held to the Calder standard Matthews was. We all know defensemen rarely win that award - and the class next year will likely be very good. I am projecting 35ish points from Dahlin next season which won’t win the Calder - but I am projecting 50+ points by the third year... can we compare that to Matthews? Defensemen take longer to develop - so this is a question that will take 7+ years to answer.

I was going for Matthews right now vs Dahlin, but both can work. The idea is to try the gauge the value of Dahlin's "unknown" and what people feel about that in conjunction with the very big hype that he is carrying and compare that to what we know about Matthews' performance and projection.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Thats hard but lets say Dahlin turns into Hedman and has potential to be even better. I think thats more important to have than a player like Matthews so i would take Dahlin but its hard. Matthews is a damn good center already and he is a better goalscorer than we predicted.
Matthews was awful in the playoffs this year though, not that it matters that much in this discussion...

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Pretty sure that one would be even more lopsided :dunno:
might be, I'd like to see it anyway. Whether you believe pro or anti Leaf bias, there's definitely an emotional reaction to the Leafs on HF so would be good to see it with that removed

and for the record, that poll should be Eichel in a landslide for the same reason that this one should be Matthews in a landslide - gotta account for the risk

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
might be, I'd like to see it anyway. Whether you believe pro or anti Leaf bias, there's definitely an emotional reaction to the Leafs on HF so would be good to see it with that removed

and for the record, that poll should be Eichel in a landslide for the same reason that this one should be Matthews in a landslide - gotta account for the risk

That poll was a landslide for Dahlin. So it does cast a shadow on any leaf based paranoia.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
didn't see that edited in to the "my mistake" post above, the one originally posted was about draft day prospects

you'll also see earlier in this thread that I said I thought the results here were shiny new toy syndrome + how Dahlin is framed by the competition in his draft class, not pro/anti Leafs bias

I just acknowledged that people get emotional about polls with the Leafs involved (like you did, point made) so it would be a more objective result if that element were removed

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
didn't see that edited in to the "my mistake" post above, the one originally posted was about draft day prospects

you'll also see earlier in this thread that I said I thought the results here were shiny new toy syndrome + how Dahlin is framed by the competition in his draft class, not pro/anti Leafs bias

I just acknowledged that people get emotional about polls with the Leafs involved (like you did, point made) so it would be a more objective result if that element were removed

Keeping emotion out of polls with the Leafs involved would require at a minimum restricting their fans from posting in them. What you should propose is a Dahlin / Matthews pool, without Sabres or Leafs fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad