Matthews vs Dahlin

Matthews vs Dahlin

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
As difficult as it is to compare defensemen to centers I think Dahlin has higher upside than Matthews does. However, I'm reluctant to pick a prospect over a proven NHL player who projects to be among top-5 in his position soon enough.

I would pick Matthews right now. I probably would pick Dahlin if they were in the same draft.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
As difficult as it is to compare defensemen to centers I think Dahlin has higher upside than Matthews does. However, I'm reluctant to pick a prospect over a proven NHL player who projects to be among top-5 in his position soon enough.

I would pick Matthews right now. I probably would pick Dahlin if they were in the same draft.
That's the point, I want to gauge just how much people are willing to gamble on one of the most hyped D prospects in a long time over a big #1C that could be a dominant player at both ends of the ice for years to come, but at different stages in their development (hence the gambling factor).

Essentially, the title could have be reworded to read "If Matthews was forced to re-enter the NHL draft this year as a 20 year-old, would he go #1 over Dahlin?" but the issue there is that people might have voted depending on their team's need since both are going to be cornerstone pieces on their own.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Matthews, pretty easily. At worst you have a dynamic 40 goal #1 center. He'll learn from his mistakes in the playoffs and be a top ~10 player for the league for the next 5-7 years.

The only prospect I would take over Matthews would be a clear-cut generational prospect like McDavid or Crosby, Dahlin isn't one.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Auston Matthews.

Dahlin will be good, but ill take the big, 40 goal scoring 20 yo centre.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
How in the world is Dahlin winning this poll...my god people overrate prospects on here. The poll with him beating out Victor Hedman was bad enough, but now this? Theres no prospect in the world right now I'd take over a proven 40 goal scoring 20 year old #1 center. Like sure Dahlin could be an amazing #1 dman...but this isn't worth the risk at all. Matthews, AINEC at all.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Dahlin is quickly becoming one of the most overrated prospects in recent memory. Great prospect, but you don't take him over a franchise center like Matthews, like you don't take Dahlin over Eichel. Defenders come with a bunch of risk.

I wouldn't take Dahlin over Eichel or Matthews if they were in the same draft.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
this should be Matthews in a landslide, but I'm sure it will go the other way. Both of these guys fall into the slot below generational upside, one has franchise player downside and the other is a mystery box. Anyone is entitled to their opinion on which has the edge in who would be better if they both hit their absolute ceilings, both would go behind McDavid in the same draft and both were slotted as the #1oa pick in their own drafts for years before the day, the only huge separation between them is risk factor

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
this should be Matthews in a landslide, but I'm sure it will go the other way. Both of these guys fall into the slot below generational upside, one has franchise player downside and the other is a mystery box. Anyone is entitled to their opinion on which has the edge in who would be better if they both hit their absolute ceilings, both would go behind McDavid in the same draft and both were slotted as the #1oa pick in their own drafts for years before the day, the only huge separation between them is risk factor
No way. Day, Sokolov, and Krys were talked about potentially being first overall picks in 2016, same with Veleno, Svechnikov, and Wise in 2018.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No way. Day, Sokolov, and Krys were talked about potentially being first overall picks in 2016, same with Veleno, Svechnikov, and Wise in 2018.
Matthews was viewed as the 1st Overall pick for 2016 since the 2014 U-18's (so almost 2 years before his draft date). Dahlin has been viewed as the favorite for this one since the 2017 WJC.

Reactions: Randy Randerson

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I don't remember Day, Sokolov and Krys being talked about as potential #1oa's, potential top 10's for sure, and obviously that was a long time before draft day. Puljujarvi was the challenger heading into the 2016 draft year, Laine emerged later, Matthews was the favourite all along

Veleno hasn't been talked about like that since the year after he got exceptional status when it was realized that he shouldn't have gotten it, Wise hasn't been in the convo for a long time, Svechnikov had a chance coming into this year but Dahlin has been the front runner since the beginning of last year

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Dahlin is quickly becoming one of the most overrated prospects in recent memory. Great prospect, but you don't take him over a franchise center like Matthews, like you don't take Dahlin over Eichel. Defenders come with a bunch of risk.

I wouldn't take Dahlin over Eichel or Matthews if they were in the same draft

I would seriously consider that. It's riskier to draft D but he has such a high potential. I bet some teams would take him over either of the two C's.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Franchise center vs. franchise defenseman...both are extremely hard to come by. I am going to go with the more proven player in Matthews for this one.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Matthews, pretty easily. At worst you have a dynamic 40 goal #1 center. He'll learn from his mistakes in the playoffs and be a top ~10 player for the league for the next 5-7 years.

The only prospect I would take over Matthews would be a clear-cut generational prospect like McDavid or Crosby, Dahlin isn't one.

Finally some sanity.

Reactions: Kelly

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I would seriously consider that. It's riskier to draft D but he has such a high potential. I bet some teams would take him over either of the two C's.
the biggest differences are the typical time it takes for prospects at each position to start contributing at a really high level and how hard stars at each position are to find outside of high picks. Forwards usually contribute sooner, but don't last as long at peak performance. Star level defensemen are regularly found in later rounds, star level centers are rarely found outside the top 15 picks

I'd go with the center (Matthews or Eichel), then throw lots of picks at defensemen. There's no guarantees, but that's the more probably route of getting both

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Some, but I don't think it would be an overwhelming amount. its likely to be split in thirds. The risk for defenders, combined with the fact it is almost impossible to find franchise centers outside of the top 10 of the draft, and realistically the top 3, whereas elite defenders are found throughout the top 2 rounds. Center's drive play at 5v5 more than any other position.

I also don't see Dahlin having significantly more upside to offset the positional risk. Karlsson and Doughty are rarely significantly more valuable than the top 5 or so centers in the league, which is a pretty realistic projection for Matthews and Eichel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plural

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Matthews. we already know he is a 40g/ppg C. Dahlin hasnt played an NHL game yet.
If Dahlin becomes a 60-70+pt dman and perennial norris candidate, then i'll take Dahlin

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
the biggest differences are the typical time it takes for prospects at each position to start contributing at a really high level and how hard stars at each position are to find outside of high picks. Forwards usually contribute sooner, but don't last as long at peak performance. Star level defensemen are regularly found in later rounds, star level centers are rarely found outside the top 15 picks

I'd go with the center (Matthews or Eichel), then throw lots of picks at defensemen. There's no guarantees, but that's the more probably route of getting both
Some, but I don't think it would be an overwhelming amount. its likely to be split in thirds. The risk for defenders, combined with the fact it is almost impossible to find franchise centers outside of the top 10 of the draft, and realistically the top 3, whereas elite defenders are found throughout the top 2 rounds. Center's drive play at 5v5 more than any other position.

I also don't see Dahlin having significantly more upside to offset the positional risk. Karlsson and Dought are rarely significantly more valuable than the top 5 or so centers in the league, which is a pretty realistic projection for Matthews and Eichel.

Yeah, this makes a lot of sense. Nowdays it's like a lottery win to get a franchise C after the first round. I guess most teams would go with Eichel/Matthews over Dahlin because a) they are less likely to not reach their potential, b) are going to have big impact on the team faster and c) you're more likely to get a franchise level D from the lower picks than a franchise level C.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Yeah, this makes a lot of sense. Nowdays it's like a lottery win to get a franchise C after the first round. I guess most teams would go with Eichel/Matthews over Dahlin because a) they are less likely to not reach their potential, b) are going to have big impact on the team faster and c) you're more likely to get a franchise level D from the lower picks than a franchise level C.
that's the way I see it. And the defenseman/men that you get in the later rounds are definitely not likely to be as good as Dahlin, same for any centers coming from later picks being as good as Matthews/Eichel but I think you're more likely to build a team that's good enough by starting with the center

oddly enough, it seems like there's still a bit of a perception that you need to be big to be that real 1C so there's some guys slipping through the cracks like Point and Aho, but probably just a matter of time before that inefficiency corrects itself

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah, I chose a neutral source I had no control over a couple weeks ago (NHL.com top 20 players at center and d entering the season). I know that isn't perfect, but it's a decent baseline. Here's how it broke down in regards to draft position. I edited out my commentary on it, as its quite long, but if you want to see it, click the arrow next to my name on the quoted post. I edited out most of my commentary.

1: McDavid (1st 2015)
2: Crosby (1st 2005)
3: Malkin (2nd 2004)
4: Matthews (1st 2016)
5: Backstrom (4th 2006)
6: Tavares (1st 2009)
7: Stamkos (1st 2008)
8: Seguin (2nd 2010)
9: Getzlaf (19th 2003)
10: Scheifele (7th 2011)
11: Bergeron (45th 2003)
12: Toews (3rd 2006)
13: Kopitar (11th 2005)
14: Eichel (2nd 2015)
15: Draisaitl (3rd 2014)
16: Johansen (4th 2010)
17: Barkov (2nd 2013)
18: Carter (11th 2003)
19: Kuznetsov (26th 2010)
20: Monahan (6th 2013)

Defenders

1: Karlsson (15th 2008)
2: Burns (20th 2003)
3: Doughty (2nd 2008)
4: Hedman (2nd 2009)
5: Keith (54th 2002)
6: Subban (43rd 2007)
7: Josi (38th 2008)
8: Letang (62nd 2005)
9: Weber (49th 2003)
10: Suter (7th 2003)
11: Ekman-Larsson (6th 2009)
12: Byfuglien (245th 2003, would be undrafted now)
13: Werenski (8th 2015)
14: Pietrangelo (4th 2008)
15: Shattenkirk (14th 2007)
16: Hamilton (9th 2011)
17: McDonagh (12th 2007)
18: Giordano (Undrafted when the draft had 291 picks)
19: Ellis (11th 2009)
20: Cam Fowler (12th 2010)

When you compare the 2 lists you get some interesting things. One, the franchise centers list has a total 5 guys who were drafted outside the top 10. 2 of those players were drafted right at 11, and Kuznetsov was viewed as a top 10 prospect who slipt at the height of fears around Russian players staying. We have all of 2 players over a period that covers 13 drafts (2003-2016) drafted after pick number 20. 11 of the top 20 centers were drafted in the top 3, with a quarter of the list being 1st overall picks. Now, centers get drafted higher on average at the very top, but in general, a bunch of these guys were the first center off the boards in their respective classes (Seguin and Malkin were the first centers off the board in their class). Now, compare the two groups. 5 D on the list were drafted after 45 (where the lowest drafted franchise center was found), 1 guy was undrafted and another was drafted in a round that no longer exists. 7 were found later than the first round, and only 7 were drafted inside the top 10 of the draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: blueberrie

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
Aside from the no-brainer homer pick - I'm going for the elite defenseman simply because kids like Dahlin don't come around often.

"Build from the net out.." It's too bad we've still have a giant question mark in net.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I take the risk and pick Dahlin and his massive upside. Matthews is a much safer pick though and projects to be a top 10 player himself but if Dahlin pans out you’re looking at a generational Dman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad