Matthews vs Dahlin

Matthews vs Dahlin

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
5pts in 6 games, against a better team (who is still playing).

I don't think you know this, nor spelling.

chocker
ADJECTIVE

British
informal
  • 1predicative Tired of or disgusted with something.
    ‘I'm a little chocker with this place’
    Synonyms
  • 2predicative Full.
    ‘the church was chocker with flowers’
I mean he has been in the playoffs every year since he's came into the league, but I doubt he's tired of them already.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
chocker
ADJECTIVE

British
informal
  • 1predicative Tired of or disgusted with something.
    ‘I'm a little chocker with this place’
    Synonyms
  • 2predicative Full.
    ‘the church was chocker with flowers’
I mean he has been in the playoffs every year since he's came into the league, but I doubt he's tired of them already.

Chocker is an HF meme. I guess now Matthews could be part of it .

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Pretty sure matthews got 2p against a team that most in 2nd round.

Both are correct.
After 2 years with very disparate results, you can't say that he is a choker.
If so, then you believe Dubas is a top 3 GM in the league ;)
Whatever happened to small sample sizes?

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
LOL how much of this "generational potential" garbage did we hear about Laine?

Well here we are, and Matthews is better in every aspect of the game and has actually improved more than Laine throughout their young careers.

Gonna be the same story with Dahlin.

Except Laine has more goals. More points. More playoff goals and points.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I'll take the centre who has already started to prove himself convincingly in the NHL over the 18 year old dman who has yet to play a game.

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I love how a Matthews vs Dahlin thread turns into a Matthews vs Laine thread. What's next? Matthews vs Gretzky? Matthews vs Lemieux? Matthews vs Crosby? Matthews vs himself?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
...and one less NHL award, where many people thought AM was better.
Laine has also played 11 more games, and 4 more playoff games..and doesn't have more playoff goals.
If you include the 2017 playoffs Matthews career total during that time is 5 goals, 2 assists for 7 points in 13 playoff games.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Generally its best to start with an elite #1 Center. Having a cup winning defense has more to do with depth so there are a few ways you can build it but at the end of the day you need high end centers.

Also AM is a sure thing at this point and Dahlin still has question marks. It wouldn't surprise me in a few years to see Dahlin be the better choice but for now its AM

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I love how a Matthews vs Dahlin thread turns into a Matthews vs Laine thread. What's next? Matthews vs Gretzky? Matthews vs Lemieux? Matthews vs Crosby? Matthews vs himself?
I love how you are oblivious to the source of the problem and come out portraying it as Matthew's supporters trying to change the narrative. Either you are being disingenuous or did not bother to find out and just threw out a random insinuation. Either way you contributed nothing useful.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Matthews and it's not even close. I don't know how Dahlin got so over rated.

Well he is an elite prospect. Add to that shiny new toy syndrome and Leaf hate and you get a prospect neck and neck with an established #1 C who has not yet reached his potential.

The secret is realising polls on HF are really troll tools and provide almost nothing useful.

I find the best polls tend to include players from less exposed teams where malice and bias are less of a factor. It's not a fluke that comparisons to Leaf players started by fans of other teams are the most common ones. Often started by people who stay up nights thinking of ways to disparage the Leafs.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Well he is an elite prospect. Add to that shiny new toy syndrome and Leaf hate and you get a prospect neck and neck with an established #1 C who has not yet reached his potential.

The secret is realising polls on HF are really troll tools and provide almost nothing useful.

I find the best polls tend to include players from less exposed teams where malice and bias are less of a factor. It's not a fluke that comparisons to Leaf players started by fans of other teams are the most common ones. Often started by people who stay up nights thinking of ways to disparage the Leafs.
So the same way Leafs were posting on here when they got the #1 pick, makes sense.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
So the same way Leafs were posting on here when they got the #1 pick, makes sense.
I don't recall us making too many vs polls. You can credit Western Canadian fans for that. I don't remember too many claims that he was already better than established #1 C's before ever having played a game either.

So no, nothing like that. It was a cute attempt at a pot shot, but sadly it's a fail.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I don't recall us making too many vs polls. You can credit Western Canadian fans for that. I don't remember too many claims that he was already better than established #1 C's before ever having played a game either.

So no, nothing like that. It was a cute attempt at a pot shot, but sadly it's a fail.
Of course you dont, you're a Toronto fan and it doesn't fit your agenda, go back and look. It was even worse.

I have no horse in this race just funny seeing you complain when the same exact thing happened with one of the players in the poll.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Of course you dont, you're a Toronto fan and it doesn't fit your agenda, go back and look. It was even worse.

I have no horse in this race just funny seeing you complain when the same exact thing happened with one of the players in the poll.

I didn't actually complain, I made an observation. Buffalo can sing Dahlin's praises all they want, no sweat off my ass. I was describing a phenomena, you on the other hand are attacking a fan base and laughing at jokes and complaints that aren't there. It's odd but it's nice you can be proud of it.

I'd be happy to admit I am wrong if you can provide a few examples of Leaf fans doing as you claim, but you will be disappointed when you see most of it was started by Oiler fans.

My agenda is the truth, not everyone is prepared to throw their morals and values out the window over a debate about a game.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If anything it was the complete opposite of that. I remember fans of other teams stating how Matthews was no longer this great prospect the moment Toronto won the 1st pick and all of the sudden a lot of other people jumped on the Laine bandwagon.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I love how from the moment it was determined that Dahlin was either going to be on Buffalo, Montreal or Carolina, Most Toronto fans (not the good ones) have labelled Dahlin "A good prospect." and that's it.

Was Matthews just a good prospect in August 2016?

How excited are any of you for Timothy Liljgren. AND THAT'S HIM.

Dahlin would be BOBBY ORR 2.0 if Toronto win him.

Lets not kid ourselves here....Matthews is strong, but hasn't even hit 30 assists. His goals are impressive, 40, 32, but the truly elite players have high assist totals. Even Ovi has over 500 assists and he's a goal scorer.

Dahlin should easily get that next year IMO if he as advertised.

And in his prime, all day long ....as it looks.

The only arguent against Dahlin is "He hasn't event played an NHL GAME" LOL, as if he had the chance too.

Matthews has hit 69 points with a a pretty good first round effort vs Washington and losing in round 1.

Matthews hit 62 pts in his second year, this time getting 7 first round games and choking hard, 1 goal. 2 points. Abysmal, pathetic effort. (OH YEAH HE WENT AGAINST BERGERON!....Yeah, you get in the playoffs your going to play against Bergeron, or Crosby, Or Stamkos, or Kuznetsov, etc you'd use that excuse against any of them)

I mean those Matthews numbers are just a tad better then Ryan O'Reilly f(points wise) or crying out loud, and ROR is better defensively and #1 in faceoffs.

Dahlin is supposed to be legendary and takes pressure of Risto, and if he heklps turn the Sabres around (along with Mittlestadt who at the least should be a W.Nylander you would think) a learned systen, a healthy eichel, maybe Reinhart has found his game going PPG in 2018.....then Dahlin in his prime will be scary... and better.

Dahlin may be on par or better then Matthews by next year.

Never know.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I love how from the moment it was determined that Dahlin was either going to be on Buffalo, Montreal or Carolina, Most Toronto fans (not the good ones) have labelled Dahlin "A good prospect." and that's it.

Was Matthews just a good prospect in August 2016?

How excited are any of you for Timothy Liljgren. AND THAT'S HIM.

Dahlin would be BOBBY ORR 2.0 if Toronto win him.

Lets not kid ourselves here....Matthews is strong, but hasn't even hit 30 assists. His goals are impressive, 40, 32, but the truly elite players have high assist totals. Even Ovi has over 500 assists and he's a goal scorer.

Dahlin should easily get that next year IMO if he as advertised.

And in his prime, all day long ....as it looks.

The only arguent against Dahlin is "He hasn't event played an NHL GAME" LOL, as if he had the chance too.

Matthews has hit 69 points with a a pretty good first round effort vs Washington and losing in round 1.

Matthews hit 62 pts in his second year, this time getting 7 first round games and choking hard, 1 goal. 2 points. Abysmal, pathetic effort. (OH YEAH HE WENT AGAINST BERGERON!....Yeah, you get in the playoffs your going to play against Bergeron, or Crosby, Or Stamkos, or Kuznetsov, etc you'd use that excuse against any of them)

I mean those Matthews numbers are just a tad better then Ryan O'Reilly f(points wise) or crying out loud, and ROR is better defensively and #1 in faceoffs.

Dahlin is supposed to be legendary and takes pressure of Risto, and if he heklps turn the Sabres around (along with Mittlestadt who at the least should be a W.Nylander you would think) a learned systen, a healthy eichel, maybe Reinhart has found his game going PPG in 2018.....then Dahlin in his prime will be scary... and better.

Dahlin may be on par or better then Matthews by next year.

Never know.
Matthews actually scored 34 goals this past season and I wouldn't be talking about Matthews not getting 30 assists. So far Jack Eichel has not reached 30 goals in a season and to be fair Matthews was 1 assist away from 30 in his rookie year. Chances are he would have reached 30 assists if he didn't miss 20 games, so because Eichel has had his fair share of injuries I'm sure you would agree with me.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Matthews actually scored 34 goals this past season and I wouldn't be talking about Matthews not getting 30 assists. So far Jack Eichel has not reached 30 goals in a season and to be fair Matthews was 1 assist away from 30 in his rookie year. Chances are he would have reached 30 assists if he didn't miss 20 games, so because Eichel has had his fair share of injuries I'm sure you would agree with me.

Why are you bringing up EIchel? Pretty Sure this is Matthews vs Dahlin, but because you did back to my point, He hit 30 assists in every year he's played despite a sprained ankle in two of the three on the lowest scoring teams.....and Toronto is a top 5 scoring team and Matthews hasn't once as I said.

LOVE how you guys are SO Insecure about Matthews these days. I'm still waiting for a healthy year out of JE15 since you brought him up. With Dahlin feeding him the puck....oh boy, this will be good.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Why are you bringing up EIchel? Pretty Sure this is Matthews vs Dahlin, but because you did back to my point, He hit 30 assists in every year he's played despite a sprained ankle in two of the three on the lowest scoring teams.....and Toronto is a top 5 scoring team and Matthews hasn't once as I said.

LOVE how you guys are SO Insecure about Matthews these days. I'm still waiting for a healthy year out of JE15 since you brought him up. With Dahlin feeding him the puck....oh boy, this will be good.
I only brought up Eichel since he has not reached 30 goals since you said Matthews has not got 30 assists. Now part of the reason for Eichel not doing that was him being injured and that was the same reason for Matthews this past season.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
I only brought up Eichel since he has not reached 30 goals since you said Matthews has not got 30 assists. Now part of the reason for Eichel not doing that was him being injured and that was the same reason for Matthews this past season.

Yeah, again I'll give you tha too. Pretty infuriating to see some people go from Eichel isn't a 25 g, hits it, isn't s 60 pt, hit's it, now since he got 64 in shortened season (67 games) He isn't a "65" pt player. Technically not but anyone can see in his last two years he's JUST under PPG, he's a 75-80 pt player) Just like Matthews PPG went up so he should be an 80 pt player.

Those who want to take facts like time injured, like you seem too, I have time for that all day long. So at least you do.

Reactions: LeafsNation75
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad