Matthews vs Dahlin

Matthews vs Dahlin

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Knowing how good Matthews is it's understandable to take him with hindsight.

But if they were in the same draft Dahlin likely would go first, he's a better prospect than the Matthews/Eichel/Hedman tier were. Not quite a McDavid or Crosby but only a half tier below while the others are a full tier below.
Yeah, Dahlin is a better prospect than Matthews was and Hedman. That is why I would take him.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
In terms of hype before most recent drafts. I do think if Dahlin was a NA prospect. He would be 10x more hyped than Ekblad was.

McDavid

Dahlin

Matthews

Ekblad
Hischier

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Auston Matthews is the 3rd best player in the world in terms of generating scoring chances at even strength.

Ever so slightly behind Crosby, and we can forget McDavid because he is a complete outlier in terms of this. Matthews has all the potential to be a top 2 player in the world soon.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Where was matthews this years playoffs? I take wonderkid dahlin

Where was Dahlin these playoffs? Matthews had a solid playoff his rookie season and a disappointing one this year. Playoff warriors aren’t made overnight, he will have more cracks at the can.

Cuphead

Jul 16, 2010
i would take matthews, and not worry about how good dahlin might be. for a new team just getting started, dahlin would be significantly more risk, for the potential for slightly more reward.

there's the obvious answer, and the anti-leafs answer. So far the latter is winning, which isn't too surprising

its easy to roll the dice when you're not paying the bill.

Reactions: Kelly

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Dahlin is quickly becoming one of the most overrated prospects in recent memory. Great prospect, but you don't take him over a franchise center like Matthews, like you don't take Dahlin over Eichel. Defenders come with a bunch of risk.

I wouldn't take Dahlin over Eichel or Matthews if they were in the same draft.

Matthews is quickly becoming overrated.

Edit. Matthews is overrated.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Matthews is quickly becoming overrated.

Edit. Matthews is overrated.
Yeah, I mean, it's not like he averaged a PPG at a 20-year-old or scored 40 goals as a 19-year-old. I mean, I'm sure Dahlin will easily win the Calder next year and be the best player on a playoff team as a rookie.

Dahlin isn't generational. He's a great prospect, but he isn't on par with McDavid or Crosby. There also aren't different categories of generational. They aren't separated by position or play type, and Dahlin won't be more valuable than McDavid, and I doubt he wins a Hart Trophy before he's 23, which pretty much every player labeled generational as a prospect since NHL expansion has done (Orr, Gretzky, Crosby, McDavid, Ovi, Lemieux and Lindros).

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
You're building a new team and can choose one player to be your cornerstone. Who do you choose and why?
Dahlin. As of right now Matthews is a 60ish point player and a playoff ghost. I will take the cornerstone Dman over the 60ish point center. Will Matthews get better? I hope so after these last Playoffs. Four different injuries this season including a concussion is also pretty telling.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Still more playoff success than the Leafs.

BTW, there’s two playoff appearances in that span. If you’re going to point that out, get the number of appearances right first.
Sorry, 1 appearance in 12 years.
There, something to hang your hat on. Congrats!

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Dahlin. As of right now Matthews is a 60ish point player and a playoff ghost. I will take the cornerstone Dman over the 60ish point center. Will Matthews get better? I hope so after these last Playoffs. Four different injuries this season including a concussion is also pretty telling.

So Matthews doesn't get any benefit of the doubt about missed games but Dahlin is a sure fire cornerstone defenseman?

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
I always always always pick the franchise C. Most important building block in hockey IMO. I'd take eichel over Dahlin too so it's not me being biased :)

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
sabres defence is so bad i don't think we'd trade this pick for anything but Mcdank

Gotta go with Dahlin

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
sabres defence is so bad i don't think we'd trade this pick for anything but Mcdank

Gotta go with Dahlin
The question though, isn't what your teams need. Its if you were starting a team with nothing, who would you take to build your franchise around.

I think in that scenario, you have to take Eichel or Matthews. For the Leafs, I'd probably take Eichel over Dahlin even with the cap-hit and weaker D. Just because of how sure a thing it is, and having 3 centers who can dominate play like this would wear teams down and off-set having sub-par D.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
The question though, isn't what your teams need. Its if you were starting a team with nothing, who would you take to build your franchise around.

If it's pre draft honestly It's 50/50 think i would go with dahlin he's a human highlight wheel and I can't remember the last time a D-man was doing what he is doing at his age. Edge Work, Skating , zone entry's, Hands, shooting, plays Physical and is Super smart with/without the puck he checks off all boxes for me. attitude and work ethic as well the kid is so humble and eager to get better at hockey he wants to be Karlson. Love his kid, Obviously yeah I'm a buffalo fan so I'm bias. If your'e talking empty roster and you have a choice between 3rd year matthews and 1st year dahlin yeah you'd be crazy to not pick matthews but at the same time if a kid has a chance / potential to be the best d-man in the league over a centre who has potential to be a top 5 centre in the league you gotta pick the D-man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad