Matthews vs Dahlin

Matthews vs Dahlin

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonhard Euler

Mar 5, 2018
I'm fairly conservative guy so at this point I will take the known in Matthews.
It is entirely possible my answer would be Dahlin fairly soon after seeing him on NHL ice though.

Edit: For the record, without the benefit of hindsight, only considering them as draft prospects, assuming they go in same year I'm drafting Dahlin over Matthews.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Matthews. Dahlin is tempting, and maybe I would pick him for Edmonton, but you can't pass up on a player like Matthews. There is always a risk when it comes to defencemen although Dahlin will 100% likely deliver.

Matthews has done enough to convince me that he has the talent to score 100 points given higher ice time.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I don't understand. Your nickname is telling me I can't lose with Matthews. But us the Matthews gang are losing this poll.

Turns out, just like in the playoffs, you can lose with Matthews.

I’d choose Dahlin for the Oilers. No need for Matthews with McDavid and to a lesser extent Draisaitl as your centers.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I don't understand. Your nickname is telling me I can't lose with Matthews. But us the Matthews gang are losing this poll.

Turns out, just like in the playoffs, you can lose with Matthews.

I’d choose Dahlin for the Oilers. No need for Matthews with McDavid and to a lesser extent Draisaitl as your centers.
I can't believe I have to explain this (actually I really can), but my name doesn't literally mean that Matthews will win every poll on HF or every game he ever plays in

Reactions: nobody

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
There is at least a decent chance that Dahlin becomes the better player. However, I don't think many GMs would be comfortable taking that risk when he have a 40-goal #1 Center already.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I'd take Matthews, and I think most teams would as seen in previous years(take the center over the dman).

In saying that, I'd be happy with either.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
How in the world is Dahlin winning this poll...my god people overrate prospects on here. The poll with him beating out Victor Hedman was bad enough, but now this? Theres no prospect in the world right now I'd take over a proven 40 goal scoring 20 year old #1 center. Like sure Dahlin could be an amazing #1 dman...but this isn't worth the risk at all. Matthews, AINEC at all.

Haven't you called Matthews overrated in the past?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Hedman was just as good of a prospect as Dahlin is and was taken #2 to Tavares.

#1 franchise centers are just their own class of importance IMO
wonder who would have gone first if Tavares and Matthews were in the same class...felt like similar levels of hype, Tavares maybe more hype in the Canadian market with exceptional status, but wouldn't be surprised if pro scouts liked Matthews because of the skating

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Haven't you called Matthews overrated in the past?

Yes I have, but that doesnt change the fact that he is still a 20 year old #1 center 40 goal scorer. He's a fantastic player no doubt, and should easily be winning this poll against a player that has yet to play a NHL game.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Knowing how good Matthews is it's understandable to take him with hindsight.

But if they were in the same draft Dahlin likely would go first, he's a better prospect than the Matthews/Eichel/Hedman tier were. Not quite a McDavid or Crosby but only a half tier below while the others are a full tier below.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Hedman was just as good of a prospect as Dahlin is and was taken #2 to Tavares.

#1 franchise centers are just their own class of importance IMO
This is key for me.
I don't know the last time a defenseman was taken over a comparable centre 1st OA.
People will say Ekblad and Reinhart but neither projected as franchise-level players and Ekblad was always ahead.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I take Matthews. He looks like a lock to be a top 10 center in the league. I dont know if the same could be said for Dahlin.

Remember the hype for Jones, Ekblad, and Hanifin. And only Jones has turned into what was expected.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Knowing how good Matthews is it's understandable to take him with hindsight.

But if they were in the same draft Dahlin likely would go first, he's a better prospect than the Matthews/Eichel/Hedman tier were. Not quite a McDavid or Crosby but only a half tier below while the others are a full tier below.
Dahlin is a pretty clear full tier behind McDavid. No one would even entertain the idea of taking Dahlin over McDavid if they were in the same draft. He's in the same tier as Matthews and Eichel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad