Matthews vs. Barkov

Who is better?

• Total voters

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
This poll is a prime example of just how f***ing atrocious this forum has become.

Alex Barkov over Auston Matthews...okay kids.
This poll is a prime example of just how f***ing atrocious this forum has become.

Auston Matthews over Alex Barkov...okay kids.

This is fun.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Offensively it's really not close.

This poll is a clear example of anti Leafs bias on here. Matthews is significantly better than Barkov.

It's tiresome. 3rd best forward in the league is losing to a guy outside the top 10. HF gotta be HF.

This is the player version of the Benning vs Dubas clown thread.

Reactions: Deadly Dogma

Mar 26, 2010
Offensively it's really not close.

This poll is a clear example of anti Leafs bias on here. Matthews is significantly better than Barkov.
Exactly. Matthews is a tier above. He is the Best goal scorer in the NHL. Anyone who debates that is just delusional.

Mar 26, 2010
He might be the best goal scorer but his overall game is behind Barkov and many players.
“ might be the best goal scorer” :popcorn:.

Nah, he is better defensively than McDavid by a fair margin at that. The Toronto haters are having a real tough time with Matthews domination of the NHL.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
It's tiresome. 3rd best forward in the league is losing to a guy outside the top 10. HF gotta be HF.

This is the player version of the Benning vs Dubas clown thread.

I voted for Matthews but the real tiresome part is you whining about HFboards hating your team. I know it’s hard to believe, but there is an argument there for Barkov.

If you hate this place so much, you could always stop participating.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Matthews has been nothing short of a beast this year. To me he's right there with Drai and Mac right behind McDavid. Everyone's entitled to his opinion as some might value Barkov's Selke caliber overall game. I take Matthews to start a team over Barkov though 10 times out of 10. And this is coming from a Habs fan.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
I could easily be sleeping on him (I’ve heard Matthews is elite defensively since his third season when it clearly was not true) the way you seem to be with Barkov. He himself had a down year last year but got his groove back this season. We are talking about a guy who will win first of his many Selkes, and second of his many ~100 point seasons. Best play driving results in the league with at best modest talent to support him. This is peak Datsyuk in 6’3 frame.
Second of his many 100 point seasons??? I guess the definition of "many" means zero. He currently has 0 100 point seasons. He also has 0 selkes.

Mar 26, 2010
Just a reminder: this guy said that Matthews>McDavid.
Just reminder: Matthews is the best scorer in the NHL. He is also significantly better defensively than McToronto.

Last edited:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I voted for Matthews but the real tiresome part is you calling out anti Leaf bias. I know it’s hard to believe, but there is an argument there for Barkov.

Fixed that for you.
I know Tad, people don't like being reminded of their bad behavior.
Sure there is a case but its a fringe position that doesn't really exist outside of HF. Kind of like Matthews being better than McDavid. I know how sympathetic you are to people who think that.

Mar 26, 2010
Matthews has been nothing short of a beast this year. To me he's right there with Drai and Mac right behind McDavid. Everyone's entitled to his opinion as some might value Barkov's Selke caliber overall game. I take Matthews to start a team over Barkov though 10 times out of 10. And this is coming from a Habs fan.
Exactly.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
Fixed that for you.
I know Tad, people don't like being reminded of their bad behavior.
Sure there is a case but its a fringe position that doesn't really exist outside of HF. Kind of like Matthews being better than McDavid. I know how sympathetic you are to people who think that.
one day you'll understand your reaction is the reason why this board act this way.

stop responding and ignore....right now all you do is putting oil in fire and being really entertaining.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
This is a joke right?

Im one of Barkovs biggest fans, but this shouldnt be this close.

Galchenyuk/Hyman - Matthews - Marner

Marchment/Duclair - Barkov - Verhaeghe/Vatrano

Which C has more support? Barkov 36GP 17G 26A 43P +12 vs Matthews 39GP 32G 21A 53P +18

Give Barkov the same linemates and opponents and the tables turn heavily. Or is Marner - Verhaeghe even?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I could easily be sleeping on him (I’ve heard Matthews is elite defensively since his third season when it clearly was not true) the way you seem to be with Barkov. He himself had a down year last year but got his groove back this season. We are talking about a guy who will win first of his many Selkes, and second of his many ~100 point seasons. Best play driving results in the league with at best modest talent to support him. This is peak Datsyuk in 6’3 frame.

He definitely had periods of dominant two-way play since his 2nd season, but this year he has been on another level entirely. Truly the 2nd best player in the world without any debate, Barkov has a good case for 4th best forward this season.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Peak Datsyuk is a far better player than Barkov currently.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Galchenyuk/Hyman - Matthews - Marner

Marchment/Duclair - Barkov - Verhaeghe/Vatrano

Which C has more support? Barkov 36GP 17G 26A 43P +12 vs Matthews 39GP 32G 21A 53P +18

Give Barkov the same linemates and opponents and the tables turn heavily. Or is Marner - Verhaeghe even?
He'd probably have more goals. Doubt he'd be anywhere near 32 though.

Maybe they should start playing him with Huberdeau then.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
there has to be some group who quietly ponied up a shit ton of votes just to make for a fun thread, and to rile people up.

or a majority of people who look at the polls hold the opinion that barkov is the better player. there isn't some conspiracy against AM. i think the people who browse here regularly are certainly sick of polls though.

Reactions: Garthinater

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
96 ~ 100 I think the ~ sign is pretty universal.
I did say his first Selke don’t know why you mad.
Not mad. But he hasn't hit a 100. He also hasn't won a selke. So to say first of many when he's accomplished neither is just funny. Matthews is a 60 goal guy. Hasn't done it, hasn't ever hit 50 but he's pacing for it. So I'll just call him a 60 goal guy from now on cause why not. So now that we agree facts don't matter in this discussion. Matthews is clearly better

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad