Matthews vs. Barkov

Who is better?

• Total voters

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Not a good comparison since ovi is a winger and the rest are all centres, and Barkov is the weak link among the 4 offensively if we are talking in Sid and ovis prime.

Would you take 55-60 goal Stamkos or Bergeron at his best? Cause if your answer is Stamkos you pick Matthews in this poll no doubt.

Barkov is incredible, but I'm not ready to call him peak Bergeron yet.

Also Matthews is not 60 goal Stamkos, but he is a hell of a lot better defensively.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Barkov is incredible, but I'm not ready to call him peak Bergeron yet.

Also Matthews is not 60 goal Stamkos, but he is a hell of a lot better defensively.

What does it mean to be 60 goal Stamkos?

Covid has sure screwed things up but the numbers for Matthews are just insane, especially with him playing through injury and unable to shoot the puck for a stretch.

Under Keefe so far:

GP: 88
Goals: 66
Takeaways/60: 3.64 (1st among all centers in the NHL)

I could go on but it's really starting to feel like Matthews is somehow underrated of all things.

Reactions: authentic

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
What does it mean to be 60 goal Stamkos?

Covid has sure screwed things up but the numbers for Matthews are just insane, especially with him playing through injury and unable to shoot the puck for a stretch.

Under Keefe so far:

GP: 88
Goals: 66
Takeaways/60: 3.64 (1st among all centers in the NHL)

I could go on but it's really starting to feel like Matthews is somehow underrated of all things.

It means putting up 60 goals in an 82 game season. I'm a HUGE Matthews fan, only current leaf jersey I have is Matthews, but to be a 60 goal scorer you need to do it in a season. I think he has what it takes, but its a defined accomplishment. Pace is nt the same as doing it, but pace does show he has the ability to reach that mark, or very close too it.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
It means putting up 60 goals in an 82 game season. I'm a HUGE Matthews fan, only current leaf jersey I have is Matthews, but to be a 60 goal scorer you need to do it in a season. I think he has what it takes, but its a defined accomplishment. Pace is nt the same as doing it, but pace does show he has the ability to reach that mark, or very close too it.

Well, Covid has screwed things up so badly it's ruined all goal scorers chances of achieving that mark 2 seasons in a row, a feat that Stamkos only managed to achieve once. Gotta do it in an 82 game season, OK but I don't think we should be so rigid when actually discussing the players abilities here.

It's why looking at rates isn't so bad a thing here.....and Matthews isn't just on rates over his career that has him not just at Stamkos level but rates that have him trending into the top 3 goalscoring centers of all time even taking future regression into account.

Now insane goalscoring aside, Matthews defensive numbers are also among the best for first line centers.

This poll just feels wonky.

Sort of a top ten center vs. A top ten player thing.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Matthews has 33 goals in 41 games so far, while being good defensively.

He’s been unbelievable, and has improved each season so far

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Well, Covid has screwed things up so badly it's ruined all goal scorers chances of achieving that mark 2 seasons in a row, a feat that Stamkos only managed to achieve once. Gotta do it in an 82 game season, OK but I don't think we should be so rigid when actually discussing the players abilities here.

It's why looking at rates isn't so bad a thing here.....and Matthews isn't just on rates over his career that has him not just at Stamkos level but rates that have him trending into the top 3 goalscoring centers of all time even taking future regression into account.

Now insane goalscoring aside, Matthews defensive numbers are also among the best for first line centers.

This poll just feels wonky.

Sort of a top ten center vs. A top ten player thing.

You don't need to convince me of anything Matthews related, I think he is currently the best goal scorer in the game. All I said is to be 60 goal Stamoks you have to do it in an 82 game season. Same reason they don't have the Rocket for most goals spread over a random range between 2 seasons. Its a defined achievement.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
You don't need to convince me of anything Matthews related, I think he is currently the best goal scorer in the game. All I said is to be 60 goal Stamoks you have to do it in an 82 game season. Same reason they don't have the Rocket for most goals spread over a random range between 2 seasons. Its a defined achievement.

Hey, I'm even iffy on handing out awards this year when you only play 20% of the other teams.

Such a strange time.

I think the balance in the league worked out pretty good though.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
I’m Habs fan but hands down Matthews for me. Such an exciting and dynamic player, I would be ecstatic to have a player like him on the Habs.
He’s also the younger of the two, in 3 years when he’s Barkov’s age, this might not even be a debate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad