Matthews vs. Barkov

Who is better?

• Total voters

Edmoney

McDavid/Draisaitl > Crosby/Malkin
Nov 7, 2017
Edmonton
As the title states who is the better player between these two young centers? Both have been praised for their defensive play while producing offensively.

Barkov has been better on both sides of the ice just wanted to see other people's thoughts.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Matthews is a better goal scorer, but Barkov makes everyone around him better in a way Matthews can’t. Defensively, Barkov blows Matthews out of the water.

Barkov is the pretty clear answer

Reactions: Paul4587 and Meloun

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Personally, I prefer Matthews' style more. It's more dynamic (albeit Barkov has taken huge strides in that are recently) and game breaking. In short, in my eyes it's more pleasant to watch.

What I really like about Matthews, is his thrive to score. I don't think I've seen similar desire to score since Ovechkin. He can get a shot off almost from anywhere and it's almost always a dangerous shot. Unless he decides to drastically change his style of play, I believe he's going to be the premiere scorer of his generation. He's also good at creating offense for his linemates. But I would call him only "good" in terms of comparing him to other top-6 centers in the game. I am not a huge fan of the fact that he's sort of soft, or at least plays sort of a soft game for a big-ish guy. But I think you could say the same about Barkov. So it's a wash.

Barkov has more cerebral style of play. Although he's gotten more dynamic and straight forward in his game. He's not similarly capable of creating scoring chances for himself, but he has good enough shot and unreal set of hands to help him score whenever he has the spot. I believe he's leading his team in goals currently. What I do appreciate in his game, is that he makes his linemates job way easier. He's big, has huge reach, great IQ and effort for defensive plays too. Barkov is full blown line driver, where as Matthes has more of a solo-effort aspect to his game. Barkov is capable of playing 22-24 minutes every night and his level of play rarely dips. It's a superbly important piece to have, when building a team.

In short, I believe they are close in how good players they are. Even though I prefer Matthews style more (and I do believe it's entirely possible that Matthews becomes better any second now) I think Barkov brings just enough other aspects to the game where he brings bit more value to your team. You might score few more goals with Matthews but you're more likely getting better score/scored on ratio with Barkov. You're also getting a guy who you can put out there for 25 minutes in a tough game and he will be able to perform at the level expected.

Almost a matter of preference and if it was, I'd pick Matthews. But as of now, I'll go with Barkov with a hair.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Homer vote Matthews but not disputing anyone voting Barkov. Elite 2 way C, legitimate Selke candidate. Matthews has the edge in offense, Barkov defensively.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I voted Matthews but it’s close. Both bring something different to the table. A lot of Stanley Cup winners had the elite two way Center like Barkov that is so important in the playoffs. That said, Matthews brings that elite goal scoring that is also so valuable and he’s taken strides in his defensive play this past year so that he’s at least average defensively. And he’s younger.
Close but Matthews for me.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Barkov is also 3 years older, if he isn't better he's doing something wrong.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Barkov is also 3 years older, if he isn't better he's doing something wrong.

He's older by two years and 15 days. But nevertheless, Matthews is halfway through 23. It's not at all uncommon age for high pedigree 1st overalls to start hitting their peak years. If Matthews would be better (which he arguably is), I wouldn't think of it at all as unexpected or uncommon.

But as we all know, you've been running rampant on this forums dishing it out for Finnish players. I don't really know what's your deal (since you never answer me when I ask), but it's pretty clear for everyone at this point. All you're accomplishing is making a fool of yourself.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Haven't seen Barkov play enough to comment, but if they are close, I do hope his next contract will be higher than Matthews...lol

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I dont see how some say Matthews is better offensively. He is a better goal scorer, I would say at best, they are even the rest of the way offensively. I guess one way is to ask yourself this:

Does Matthews production increase or decrease if his role was Florida's top line center, playing with Verhaghe, Duclair, and Marchmant.

I doubt his offense would increase. Thats why Barkov is just as good offensively, because whoever he plays with, his production is the same, while still being an elite defensively player. Not to mention his defensive zone starts are much higher than AM, while putting up similar points.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He's older by two years and 15 days. But nevertheless, Matthews is halfway through 23. It's not at all uncommon age for high pedigree 1st overalls to start hitting their peak years. If Matthews would be better (which he arguably is), I wouldn't think of it at all as unexpected or uncommon.

But as we all know, you've been running rampant on this forums dishing it out for Finnish players. I don't really know what's your deal (since you never answer me when I ask), but it's pretty clear for everyone at this point. All you're accomplishing is making a fool of yourself.

The Finnish fanbase on here is the most annoying, they downplay other players/teammates to make their guy look better all the time. Is it because of the lack of talent from that country they need to latch onto anything they can get? I'm not surprised you're offended by such a comment.

Reactions: ER89

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Because as we all know NHL players improve linearly as they age

Barkov and Matthews both have shown pretty linear development, Matthews especially progressing every year, weird to ignore that and state a dumb comment when you yourself don't know the context.

Forwards, especially in their early 20's will develop linearly and plateau at a peak. Are you new to hockey? Look at Huberdeau's progression from 3 years ago.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I dont see how some say Matthews is better offensively. He is a better goal scorer, I would say at best, they are even the rest of the way offensively. I guess one way is to ask yourself this:

Does Matthews production increase or decrease if his role was Florida's top line center, playing with Verhaghe, Duclair, and Marchmant.

I doubt his offense would increase. Thats why Barkov is just as good offensively, because whoever he plays with, his production is the same, while still being an elite defensively player. Not to mention his defensive zone starts are much higher than AM, while putting up similar points.

In the past 2 seasons - Matthews has outscored Barkov by 20 points and 36 goals.

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
The Finnish fanbase on here is the most annoying, they downplay other players/teammates to make their guy look better all the time. Is it because of the lack of talent from that country they need to latch onto anything they can get? I'm not surprised you're offended by such a comment.

So it's because of the fanbase, not the players? Cause I can understand the fanbase comment. Although, I think it's bit misplaced. Similarly as "Leafs fans are all..." But yeah, you're not entirely wrong. Since Laine and Pulju played in WJC, it created a new influx of Finns on this site. I was here then and I am here still. I do understand and realize how those guys come off. It's not flattering.

What I don't understand, is the constant need to act similarly. As in, you ignoring me for a long time even if I am being polite and asking you about what's your deal. Cause we've been here a long time and I have some vivid good memories about some of the talks we've had. Especially concerning Selanne and Kariya. (See, you didn't always hate Finns)

Are the over-the-top Finnish fans annoying and obnoxious? Yes. To a point where my very short ignore list consists mostly of Finnish posters. But there's still a good deal of decent Finns posting here, some are new and some have been here longer than I have. What you're doing, is derailing and agonizing threads with this personal vendetta.

I guess what I'm saying is, you can either keep going the way you have recently and become one of the most disliked posters on the site i.e. daver, albeit for different reasons, cause guys like Barkov are actually very good hockey players and they have fans outside of Finland too. Continuously aggravating discussion in threads involving them will make you, not the Finnish homers, look like a gigantic penis.

I have no beef with you, I respect the discussion history I've had with you. I'd rather remember you as the discussion we used to have. If you're retort will still be similar, I think we can just agree to not quote each other again.

Last edited:
Reactions: tuozzi

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
In the past 2 seasons - Matthews has outscored Barkov by 20 points and 36 goals.

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

You mean this season and the previous one? Cause in the previous two seasons, Matthews has 153 points in 138 games and Barkov has 158 points in 148 games. So Barkov has 5 more points in 10 more games played in the previous 2 seasons.

If you're talking about this season and the previous one, yeah. You're right. I would still give some context to it. Barkov was visibly playing poorly last season. However, he was on a upwards projectory in terms of his offensive numbers. As of now, last season looks more of an anomaly than his norm.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Based off of last year + this year so far combined, Matthews has a 20% higher point/gp and 100% higher goal/gp than Barkov does. The offensive advantage is much more significant than the defensive advantage (and arguably more important as well).

Was Kopitar better than McDavid in 2017/2018 just because he won the Selke? McDavid had about 17% more points, and the goal gap was actually only 17% (vs. the 100% higher for Matthews over Barkov).

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
You mean this season and the previous one? Cause in the previous two seasons, Matthews has 153 points in 138 games and Barkov has 158 points in 148 games. So Barkov has 5 more points in 10 more games played in the previous 2 seasons.

If you're talking about this season and the previous one, yeah. You're right. I would still give some context to it. Barkov was visibly playing poorly last season. However, he was on a upwards projectory in terms of his offensive numbers. As of now, last season looks more of an anomaly than his norm.

This season and previous one, yeah.

You can give all the context in the world - i'm pretty reasonable. Was last year and off year for Barkov? Maybe. But I was responding to a poster saying he didn't see why Matthews was better offensively - and my response is, the results speak for themselves.

Again i'm pretty reasonable. If you want to say "I believe Barkov is better than what he's shown last year, and just wait and see over the next 2-3 seasons I expect him to be right there with Matthews offensively" - that's a reasonable take. Not sure I agree, but it's possible Barkov could end up being that good, he's pretty talented.

But today if you ask who the better offensive player is - you give the edge to Matthews pretty easily. Based on last 2 seasons, and based on the big edge in goal-scoring to boot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad