Eklund Rumor: Matthews to get more than McDavid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Lets start making predictions so we can look back and laugh about how AM didnt get 13-14mil

my guess: 8 years x 11 million. 1 Million more than Eichel (he is a better player than jack) 1.5 less than Mcdavid (he isnt as good as COnnor)

Why are you talking about the last 100 games? We're talking about contracts. Eichel signed his contract last summer, before this season even started. Matthews outscored Eichel in both his first 2 seasons before the contract was signed (both PPG and actual points), so the point stands.

Matthews has more goals than eichel despite playing 2 years, not 3
he is also a lot better defensively. that being said, the eichel deal was probably 1-1.5 per too much
Crazy that Kucherov took less coming off 100pts

Last edited by a moderator:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
After seeing the $s that Tavares & Kucherov got, it would be hard to imagine that Matthews would get anything less than $11 m. He might get more, but less is unlikely I'd guess. This assumes a multi-year deal that eats into the UFA years of course.

Reactions: yababy

d0wn70wn

Dec 26, 2017
Only way Matthews gets more than McDavid is if he goes to RFA next year and gets an offer sheet for more money. He'll take less than JT on an RFA deal w/out offer sheet. 10.5/year x 8 sounds right if he re-ups this year.

Reactions: yababy

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Would be horrible decision. 13.5M for Matthews?

Nothing against him, but he isn't McDavid. If he is signed to that contract he will need to will the Maple Leafs to the Conference Finals/Cup on an annual basis, and it will be expected he wins numerous Art Ross/Hart Trophies during his tenure, starting with the first season at the $13.5M.

Overpaid and will put unrealistic amount of pressure on him.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I don't think it serious overpay.

Really? He is being paid as a top 5-10 player in the league. As good as he looks on the ice at times, when has he shown he is that? But thats just me. Maybe a 60-70 point player is worth 10 mill now. Yes I know he has been injured but that is kind of the point also. He has not even had a ppg season yet if you want to give him the benefit of projections

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Really? He is being paid as a top 5-10 player in the league. As good as he looks on the ice at times, when has he shown he is that? But thats just me. Maybe a 60-70 point player is worth 10 mill now. Yes I know he has been injured but that is kind of the point also. He has not even had a ppg season yet if you want to give him the benefit of projections
ok. You are right:D

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
This season was a point per game season. Sure it wasn't all 82 games but because he's an elite player, projecting him to hit 82 points this season if he was healthy wouldn't be silly.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

Dubas is welcome to bridge him using this logic and then get bent over in 4-5 years.

In the cap era, you have to use projections for superstar talent (hardly a reach with Matthews/Eichel). In most cases, it does work out and you gain flexibility over time.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Dubas is welcome to bridge him using this logic and then get bent over in 4-5 years.

In the cap era, you have to use projections for superstar talent (hardly a reach with Matthews/Eichel). In most cases, it does work out and you gain flexibility over time.
I think a bridge system is better, for at least three reasons:

1. You lock him up for a total of 12 years instead of 8
2. During the bridge deal, you have a lot more money to spend elsewhere. When the bridge deal has run out and you need to sign him to a big money contract, you save money by giving bridges to other newcoming guys and it naturally continues rotating.
3. You get more data to help with committing for a long time.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
I have a hard time seeing that. Could he get a hair more than Tavares? Yea I could see that possibly, but I would expect the same 11 mill/year contract Tavares is currently on.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

it's perfect for the leafs, really. he's already a top-5 producer in the league, but since babs keeps his minutes in check, especially on the PP, he won't get the kind of contract he might have.

Last 2yrs at ES, minimum 100gms and 13ESmpg:

Points per 60min

1.McDavid 3.15
2.Marchand 2.82
3.Malkin 2.79
4.Stamkos 2.72
5.Kucherov 2.69
6.Matthews 2.59

Primary Points per 60min

1.Malkin 2.49
2.McDavid 2.43
3.Matthews 2.34
4.Marchand 2.19
5.Stamkos 2.10

Last year only, min 50gms and 13esmpg:

Points per 60

1.McDavid 3.30
2.Marchand 3.09
3.MacKinnon 3.07
4.Matthews 3.03
5.Barzal 2.95

Primary Points per 60

1.Matthews 2.71
2.MacKinnon 2.48
3.McDavid 2.43
4.Marchand 2.41
5.Malkin 2.26

Reactions: Notsince67

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
it's perfect for the leafs, really. he's already a top-5 producer in the league, but since babs keeps his minutes in check, especially on the PP, he won't get the kind of contract he might have.

Last 2yrs at ES, minimum 100gms and 13ESmpg:

Points per 60min

1.McDavid 3.15
2.Marchand 2.82
3.Malkin 2.79
4.Stamkos 2.72
5.Kucherov 2.69
6.Matthews 2.59

Primary Points per 60min

1.Malkin 2.49
2.McDavid 2.43
3.Matthews 2.34
4.Marchand 2.19
5.Stamkos 2.10

Last year only, min 50gms and 13esmpg:

Points per 60

1.McDavid 3.30
2.Marchand 3.09
3.MacKinnon 3.07
4.Matthews 3.03
5.Barzal 2.95

Primary Points per 60

1.Matthews 2.71
2.MacKinnon 2.48
3.McDavid 2.43
4.Marchand 2.41
5.Malkin 2.26
with your point about Matthews usage, we could assume that even with the Leafs probably winning more games, Matthews production could go down if his prime scoring minutes are split with Tavares. Even if Matthews stays as the 1C it could happen. Although, it is crazy how Malkin can maintain his production while spending so much time away from Crosby's line, which would be the top line.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Just to add, I suppose that Malkin benefits from Crosby drawing the top defenders, and we could see Matthews' production rise because of this too (and Barzal's go down)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
with your point about Matthews usage, we could assume that even with the Leafs probably winning more games, Matthews production could go down if his prime scoring minutes are split with Tavares. Even if Matthews stays as the 1C it could happen. Although, it is crazy how Malkin can maintain his production while spending so much time away from Crosby's line, which would be the top line.
Because Malkin spends 3:30 minutes a game on the PP with Crosby.

Matthews will benefit statistically if Babcock cuts the two split PP units and goes with one stacked unit such as running a Tavares/Matthews/Marner/Nylander or Kadri/Rielly or Gardiner. Instead of what he's done the last 2 years, which is split the PP time equally across two units.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Because Malkin spends 3:30 minutes a game on the PP with Crosby.

Matthews will benefit statistically if Babcock cuts the two split PP units and goes with one stacked unit such as running a Tavares/Matthews/Marner/Nylander or Kadri/Rielly or Gardiner. Instead of what he's done the last 2 years, which is split the PP time equally across two units.
Matthews should see a bump on his PP production from last year, but this should be balanced by a dip in his ES production as his oish% was wayy unsustainable.

Matthews has potential for higher production if his overall ice time rises, but overall if he's getting just 18 minutes a game it's hard to see him scoring more than 90 points even with a hot PP.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
People want Matthews to stick it to the Leafs so damn bad it's hilarious haha. I'm sure by 2 days after the signing people will pretend these discussions never happened and it's Leaf fans making things up (Like how apparently everyone knew Tavares was coming home when Leaf fans were laughed at for YEARS and even up to the day before people said he wouldn't come home).

Reactions: ajpro20

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Just to add, I suppose that Malkin benefits from Crosby drawing the top defenders, and we could see Matthews' production rise because of this too (and Barzal's go down)
29.86 Crosby QOC is significantly higher than Malkin at 29.41 if that is what you are asking. Barzal will go down for sure

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

I'd be pretty disappointed if babs lowered Matthews minutes when they've already been too low. I imagine Tavares' minutes would primarily mean the 4th line C barely plays.

but the big X factor this year is whether babs continues to split the PP between 2 units each getting 2ppmpg, or if he decides to stack the top unit and play them 3-4ppmpg, like most other teams do. if he does that, all of their production could explode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad