Eklund Rumor: Matthews to get more than McDavid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
I hope not. I have a feeling he will end up having his salary pegged to Tavares’ at the top end. I have a funny feeling $11 million is where it is, but it could end up being a hair less since it seems like Matthews was involved in lobbying for Tavares in the first place and I have little doubt that getting everyone in under the cap was discussed.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Agree/disagree?

It is kind of so ridiculous that it doesn't deserve an answer.

Matthews's salary will be pegged to Tavares. It could be slightly higher than Tavares if it an 8 year contract. The only exception would be an offer sheet situation.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Hah I like how people jump on the bandwagon without even reading the blog. This is not a rumour. This is an opinion piece in which he says Matthews has proven to be as valuable to Toronto as McDavid has to Edmonton and does some things better than him.

Reactions: insomniac

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
He says that Matthews is better than Mcdavid lol. He just lost whatever credibility he had in the first place if any. As for getting more than Mcdavid, go ahead pay more to an inferior player and cripple your cap further.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
[MOD]

Matthews shouldn't get more than McDavid.

Last edited by a moderator:

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
He shouldn’t. Matthews hasn’t won any major awards yet and really, there aren’t many comparables he could use to extort the Leafs with to get to $13m+. The only way he gets more than McDavid is if a team like the Coyotes offer sheeted him and even then, that’s a big IF.

Matthews would essentially be leaving a deep team with serious Stanley Cup aspirations to be a franchise player who has to carry a team on his back with all the pressure squarely on himself while hoping to maybe make the playoffs. If I was in his position, I’m not sure I’d make that move.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
better than McDavid or not doesn't really matter. he could probably leverage more money out of someone than McDavid is getting simply because McDavid is unavailable. Whole pile of teams want a young elite center. The best one is taken. The other 20 some teams without someone close in potential to Matthews would definitely shell out money to lock up a franchise player. Easy to justify paying him more than McDavid. Easier for some teams than others granted but it makes sense.

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
Unless he wants to take a discount to stay in Toronto, I can definitely see him getting more. No, hes not better than McDavid but with the cap increase each year he can get more money than McDavid and still have less of a cap % compared to McDavids % when he sighed his mega deal.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
It is kind of so ridiculous that it doesn't deserve an answer.

Matthews's salary will be pegged to Tavares. It could be slightly higher than Tavares if it an 8 year contract. The only exception would be an offer sheet situation.

It's will most certainly be an offer sheet situation. That's what Matthews in planning - otherwise he'd be signed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad