Eklund Rumor: Matthews to get more than McDavid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I doubt he takes less than Eichel when he's proven to be more effective and score more proficiently. Why should he? Just out of the goodness of his heart? Players who take discounts to win are usually in their mid to late 30s, as hangers on trying for that one last run to get a Cup ring. Doubt it happens with Matthews. Also, when those Pens deals you described were signed they were a much bigger percentage of the cap than they are today (obviously because of the cap rising year after year). I mean, MAYBE he takes a discount but I think it would naive to count or bank on it.

If he has another 40 goal season and scores at a point per game then he has every right to ask for 11m or so based on other precedents.

Like I said, many many players have taken discounts, and not just in their 30's. So I am struggling to understand why it's only Leaf players who would be unwilling to take a discount to ice a competitive team?

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Like I said, many many players have taken discounts, and not just in their 30's. So I am struggling to understand why it's only Leaf players who would be unwilling to take a discount to ice a competitive team?

And I said maybe he does. I'm not discounting that possibility. But is it highly likely? I personally don't think so. If you want to think it's going to happen then by all means. Just don't get emotionally demolished if he gets 11m AAV or more. I'd be prepared for that. But maybe you're right; we'll see.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
And I said maybe he does. I'm not discounting that possibility. But is it highly likely? I personally don't think so. If you want to think it's going to happen then by all means. Just don't get emotionally demolished if he gets 11m AAV or more. I'd be prepared for that. But maybe you're right; we'll see.

I will say that to me, it is just as likely that he takes a discount as it is he milks the Leafs for top dollar like many in this thread are suggesting (and by that I mean making more than McDavid). Toronto is in a special place right now in that the core is all the same age and are "growing up" together and they will want to play for each other. Management is excellent they have world class coaching and development staff as well as top facilities. Top of the line everything and a fanbase that has treated them all like gods.

In the past the Leafs got taken to the cleaners but those days are over.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I will say that to me, it is just as likely that he takes a discount as it is he milks the Leafs for top dollar like many in this thread are suggesting (and by that I mean making more than McDavid). Toronto is in a special place right now in that the core is all the same age and are "growing up" together and they will want to play for each other. Management is excellent they have world class coaching and development staff as well as top facilities. Top of the line everything and a fanbase that has treated them all like gods.

In the past the Leafs got taken to the cleaners but those days are over.

And you have every right to believe that if you want. We'll see what happens in the end. You have your opinion and I have mine. That's the beauty of democracy and freedom of speech: we can both disagree but be civil about it. Again, we'll see what happens in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->