Eklund Rumor: Matthews to get more than McDavid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
A. Matthews is not better than McDavid

B. It's highly unlikely that he'll get a higher AAV than Tavares

C. It's Eklund

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Even Auston wants to win I think he would want his contract comparable to Laine as there are so much talks comparing the two. I think Laine's contract will have impact on Auston unless Auston is resigned 1st. So it will also depend on if Laine who also values win extremely highly wants to take a discount to help his team to keep all the talents they have.

Thus Jets fans may have the best insight to how much Laine likely will get based on his value to his team and their current cap situation and how soon will Laine get resigned which I think it is got to be on top of Jets must do list this coming few months.

1dreamof1cup

Jan 9, 2016
Why would matthews settle for tavares money? Have to remember that 4 teams offered 11m to tavares, only 1 offered more. Matthews gonna get 12 or a bit more.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I hope he does that would be hilarious. Tavares will outscore him if the leafs are lucky and it'll keep his aav down.

It will be even better if marner outscored both

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
Has Eklund ever been right about ANYTHING? real question .

HF lore has it, that he broke the Carter and Richards deals way way before anyone else, which has given him a bit of an "only good on the Flyers" rep for while. But he hasn't been a good source for them since then either, so that's steadily wearing off too.

Doyoulikeapples*

We stole Tavares
Feb 5, 2018
I don’t think this is that hard to predict. Matthews will get the tavares contract or probably a tad less. He simply doesn’t deserve more than John Tavares.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I don’t think this is that hard to predict. Matthews will get the tavares contract or probably a tad less. He simply doesn’t deserve more than John Tavares.

He does deserve more. His age 22-29 seasons will be much better than Tavares' age 28-35 ones. But being a RFA he will settle for around the same deal.

Doyoulikeapples*

We stole Tavares
Feb 5, 2018
He does deserve more. His age 22-29 seasons will be much better than Tavares' age 28-35 ones. But being a RFA he will settle for around the same.
No, he doesn’t. He hasn’t put up 80 + pts in the league yet. Not to mention UFA vs RFA. I expect the Tavares contract , will be pleasantly surprised with anything less.

Leafsguard

Feb 1, 2018
  • There is recent speculation been thrown out that Matthews should get more money than McDavid. Agree/disagree?

Look this management team has used Detroit back in the day and Chicago a few years back as models on what they want to do.
Back in the day Detroits GM said that no one makes more then Lidstrom and we are okay with giving you close or the same but not more then him. Players accepted, I'm not saying that all has fully changed with the Leafs getting premire players to sign for cheap or this has now turned into a great and amazing destination with the Tavares signing I think the Leafs brass has made their line in the sand so to speak. "11M AAV is the upper limit and everyone else makes that or less.

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Matthews has a lot of rfa years left. I don’t think he’ll get 11 mil

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
Hah I like how people jump on the bandwagon without even reading the blog. This is not a rumour. This is an opinion piece in which he says Matthews has proven to be as valuable to Toronto as McDavid has to Edmonton and does some things better than him.

[MOD] Matthews is a great player dont get me wrong....but he isn't McDavid.

I agree that perhaps the ceiling was set with Tavares and his contract and I would guess Matthews lands 9-11 million a year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Go for it!

Give Mathews more please :D

you realize Laine will likely get a nearly identical deal right?

if Matthews gets 11, that guarantees Laine 10

He does deserve more. His age 22-29 seasons will be much better than Tavares' age 28-35 ones. But being a RFA he will settle for around the same deal.

He deserves to be the 2nd highest paid player in NHL history based on the fact he should be better than Tavares the next 7 years?

lol. no. Matthews gets 10-11 x 8

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
He deserves to be the 2nd highest paid player in NHL history based on the fact he should be better than Tavares the next 7 years?

lol. no. Matthews gets 10-11 x 8

He wouldn't be the 2nd highest paid player in NHL history. The top salaries were bigger before the cap. Because stars were paid more fairly. Stars today are underpaid, most of them deserve more.

I like how the notion that the better player deserves more money is met with "lol." But anyways, I said he'd settle for 11 and it seems you agree so...

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I think your in for one big surprise...

Time will tell tho...

Cheers

oh am i now?

Laine dropping 44 as a teenager doesnt warrant a big deal? I think you are in for a big surprise if you think Laine isnt gonna be one of the highest paid players in the league after next year

He wouldn't be the 2nd highest paid player in NHL history. The top salaries were bigger before the cap. Because stars were paid more fairly. Stars today are underpaid, most of them deserve more.

I like how the notion that the better player deserves more money is met with "lol." But anyways, I said he'd settle for 11 and it seems you agree so...

well thats false. the highest paid player pre cap was 11mil. if matthews gets 11 per, its the 2nd highest per season deal in NHL history (tied with JT)

"the better player deserves more money" is met with lol. yeah well when you think a guy coming off an ELC deserves more than the biggest UFA signing in a decade, then yes LOL.
Tavares has a track record. four 30+g seasons, three times 80+ pts. Matthews hasnt hit 70pts yet (obviously would have this year if not for injuries)

still to say matthews should get paid more because at 21-27 he will be better than JT at 28-24 is flawed logic and simply laughable

Matthews has a lot of rfa years left. I don’t think he’ll get 11 mil

[MOD]

ive seen guys arguing he should get 12-13 per
a lot of people want the leafs to overpay and be left with a team like chicago currently has

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
well thats false. the highest paid player pre cap was 11mil. if matthews gets 11 per, its the 2nd highest per season deal in NHL history (tied with JT)

"the better player deserves more money" is met with lol. yeah well when you think a guy coming off an ELC deserves more than the biggest UFA signing in a decade, then yes LOL.
Tavares has a track record. four 30+g seasons, three times 80+ pts. Matthews hasnt hit 70pts yet (obviously would have this year if not for injuries)

still to say matthews should get paid more because at 21-27 he will be better than JT at 28-24 is flawed logic and simply laughable

Sakic made $16.45 million in 1997. Jagr made $17.4 million in 1999. Just a couple of examples.

Actually it's laughable your reason for paying a player is talking about the past. You're not paying for his past, only the future.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
[MOD]

ive seen guys arguing he should get 12-13 per
a lot of people want the leafs to overpay and be left with a team like chicago currently has
I would only be worried if he manages to outscore jt by a lot next year

yababy

Jun 26, 2015

Tavares never scored 40 goals.
Matthews already has 2 30 goal years in 2 seasons and looks like he'll do that every year. He's head and shoulders better than Tavares

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Tavares never scored 40 goals.
Matthews already has 2 30 goal years in 2 seasons and looks like he'll do that every year. He's head and shoulders better than Tavares
47 goal pace on the lockout shortened season. 38 and 37 goal seasons.

I tjinkncalling him a 40 goal scorer although not correct isn't far off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad