Eklund Rumor: Matthews to get more than McDavid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Matthews shouldn't make more than McDavid because he's not even as good as McDavid.

It's that simple.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
TO should probably bridge him to see if he can stay healthy before dropping 88 million on him. I know he would not be happy but....
Even if they bridge him and he has 2 90 point years how much more than 11 mill a year would he get anyway?

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Big difference between "should" and "will". McDavid is on another level and is being paid as much. If Matthews gets as much, the Leafs management are dolts.

Reactions: karnige

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
McDavid signed for 16.67% of 75m cap (based on 2017-2018). Same percentage this summer with cap at 79.5m is 13.25m.

Not expecting Mathews to get the same percentage.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Matthews shouldn't make more than McDavid because he's not even as good as McDavid.

It's that simple.
Its actually not that simple, at all. Players sign contracts at different times on different teams with different cap numbers and under different circumstances.

Tavares isnt as good as Crosby, and yet he makes more money. Is it really THAT simple to you?

For the record, I actually agree with you, but I don't think its "that simple" nor do I think the Leafs and Matthews camp are thinking along those lines.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Maybe a "health " bonus if he can manage to play more than 62 games. Seems rather fragile...

Well see, he already player a full 82 games the year before, so there’s hope still.

Brock Boeser also played 62 games, as a rookie though, more worried about his ability to stay healthy.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
From a bruins stand point, I would love that

But I don’t see it nor should it happen. If anything Toronto should play hard ball and offer 9

He’s yet to show he’s a leader or that he can put up a 90+ point season, ppg pace I believe but injuries and you have to take that into account when offering money

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Its actually not that simple, at all. Players sign contracts at different times on different teams with different cap numbers and under different circumstances.

Tavares isnt as good as Crosby, and yet he makes more money. Is it really THAT simple to you?

For the record, I actually agree with you, but I don't think its "that simple" nor do I think the Leafs and Matthews camp are thinking along those lines.

Not a fair comparison, when did Crosby sign? It had to be a few seasons ago at least. Didn’t mcdavid sign a season ago? And yes, different players different circumstances indeed in regards to tavares - he was a ufa with a bidding war underway

Connor and Mathews are rfa’s that COULD get offer sheeted. Chiarelli gave mcdavid too much as it is (and I remember seeing he would have taken less?) so no way Mathews deserves close to 14 a year. Insane. He’s yet to show he’s the guy you build your team around let alone break cap norms

Tavares is the real leader of the leafs now, Mathews won’t make a dime more and he’ll be lucky to make that much

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
Well see, he already player a full 82 games the year before, so there’s hope still.

Brock Boeser also played 62 games, as a rookie though, more worried about his ability to stay healthy.
Hmmm...this thread is about Matthews' contract but okay....bring Boeser in to it...

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
From a bruins stand point, I would love that

But I don’t see it nor should it happen. If anything Toronto should play hard ball and offer 9

He’s yet to show he’s a leader or that he can put up a 90+ point season, ppg pace I believe but injuries and you have to take that into account when offering money
I would agree with 9, except for Eichel, who is signed for 10 million AAV.

I say he signs for the same cap hit as Tavares, but with an 8th year.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Not a fair comparison, when did Crosby sign? It had to be a few seasons ago at least. Didn’t mcdavid sign a season ago? And yes, different players different circumstances indeed in regards to tavares - he was a ufa with a bidding war underway

Connor and Mathews are rfa’s that COULD get offer sheeted. Chiarelli gave mcdavid too much as it is (and I remember seeing he would have taken less?) so no way Mathews deserves close to 14 a year. Insane. He’s yet to show he’s the guy you build your team around let alone break cap norms

Tavares is the real leader of the leafs now, Mathews won’t make a dime more and he’ll be lucky to make that much

That's my entire point. Different circumstances. I agree that Matthews SHOULD'NT get more than McDavid, just was pointing out that that isn't nearly the only deciding factor. I used an extreme example to prove the point from the original poster. I totally agree with you on those numbers though, he shouldn't get that, all I'm saying is there's no guarantee that the Leafs and the Matthews camp use the same parameters as we here on HF use. Either way I think the Leafs sign him, no problem, and regardless of AAV they won't regret it.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He definitely shouldn't get more money, even if you count inflation into it. Matthews is very good player, no doubt about it, but McDavid is from what I have seen, quite a bit better than Matthews.

He will get 80.000 or 88.000, not 100.00

Come on! He will easily get at least $200 dollars!

Last edited by a moderator:

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Eichel got 10M before he put up 60 points.
the last 100 games both eichel and Matthews has played guess who has more points? that's right eichel. Matthews is hailed as this gen player when in reality he is on the same tier as eichel.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
He definitely shouldn't get more money, even if you count inflation into it. Matthews is very good player, no doubt about it, but McDavid is from what I have seen, quite a bit better than Matthews.
well mcdavid is only 21 and has 2 art ross, 2 Lindsey's and 1 Hart. that's why he's paid the most and on team with no offense.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
well mcdavid is only 21 and has 2 art ross, 2 Lindsey's and 1 Hart. that's why he's paid the most and on team with no offense.

What is your post about? I said McDavid is better than Matthews, why are bringing up what he has accomplished like you are defending him, when there was no defense necessary???

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
the last 100 games both eichel and Matthews has played guess who has more points? that's right eichel. Matthews is hailed as this gen player when in reality he is on the same tier as eichel.

Why are you talking about the last 100 games? We're talking about contracts. Eichel signed his contract last summer, before this season even started. Matthews outscored Eichel in both his first 2 seasons before the contract was signed (both PPG and actual points), so the point stands.

Which was a really dumb signing for Buffalo. Really dumb

Maybe, but it set's the market. You can't tell Matthews he had a better draft +1 & draft + 2 year than Eichel but he's getting less because Buffalo had a bad GM. That's the comparable his agent will most likely throw out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad