Eklund Rumor: Matthews to get more than McDavid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I'd be really surprised to see him getting McDavid money.

I feel like Tavares is the ceiling for Matthews and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he signs for less. Agents won't be interested in leaving too much money on the table, it's their job to maximize earnings. But in Toronto, Matthews has way more endorsement options than in most other locations. So signing for a bit less might actually be financially good decision if it allows him to compensate by endorsements.

you realize Laine will likely get a nearly identical deal right?

if Matthews gets 11, that guarantees Laine 10

I don't know, I feel like Laine is more likely going to be in the 8-8.5x8 range and Matthews in the 9.5-10x8 range. But that's just a gut feel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HoBOonFiRE

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
well thats false. the highest paid player pre cap was 11mil. if matthews gets 11 per, its the 2nd highest per season deal in NHL history (tied with JT)

"the better player deserves more money" is met with lol. yeah well when you think a guy coming off an ELC deserves more than the biggest UFA signing in a decade, then yes LOL.
Tavares has a track record. four 30+g seasons, three times 80+ pts. Matthews hasnt hit 70pts yet (obviously would have this year if not for injuries)

still to say matthews should get paid more because at 21-27 he will be better than JT at 28-24 is flawed logic and simply laughable
But with the 8 year term limit (still a relatively new thing that boosts AAV) and cap growth, you can't just compare cap hits. We should all be comparing cap percentages more than cap hits.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
Goal scoring/shot? Nope.
Defensive play? Nope

I mean that isn't even the topic, nor discussion of this thread. But nice try.
Mcdavid had 41 goals Matthews prob gets 45 over the hole season so pretty close.

Mcdavid led the league in takeaways I’d take him defensively over Matthews because the puck is not in mcdavids zone... he has the puck...
Mathews does not come close to deserving mcdavid money if he gets it the leafs head office failed.

Reactions: KCC and KarmaPolice

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I'd be really surprised to see him getting McDavid money.

I feel like Tavares is the ceiling for Matthews and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he signs for less. Agents won't be interested in leaving too much money on the table, it's their job to maximize earnings. But in Toronto, Matthews has way more endorsement options than in most other locations. So signing for a bit less might actually be financially good decision if it allows him to compensate by endorsements.

I don't know, I feel like Laine is more likely going to be in the 8-8.5x8 range and Matthews in the 9.5-10x8 range. But that's just a gut feel.
I think that is kind of the point though right? If Matthews signs a deal in the 11 million range it will push Laine's asking point up to be closer in line with Matthews. Realistically I think your numbers make more sense and are more likely what the contracts end up as but in the world where the people that seem to think Matthews will get north of 11 that pushes Laine up to 10. I am also not sure why suddenly now some people in this thread are actually listening to what Eklund has to say anyways.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Goal scoring/shot? Nope.
Defensive play? Nope

I mean that isn't even the topic, nor discussion of this thread. But nice try.

Man, seriously.. this will only be defended by the most homerish of homers.

Also, comparing the 2 players to speculate on one's futur salary is pretty much bulleyes on the topic.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I think he gets about 11m. With Eichel getting 10m, an McDavid getting 12.5m, I think that's about right. Also fits in line with the Tavares contract, so they both make the same and there's no animosity created there (not that it's likely to happen, and I think it's incredibly remote, but you never know). Although with the cap going up, and agents (I believe) usually trying to negotiate for their clients based on the percentage of cap, not necessarily the dollars, he might get a bit more. So maybe 11.5-12m at most, IMO.

And no, he doesn't sniff a candle to McDavid defensively. McDavid is so f***ing under-rated defensively and could very well get a few Selke votes in the future (not saying he'll win, but might get enough votes to finish top 5 or so a few times). His number of take-aways point to this, but so does just watching the guy on a regular basis. He's so damn smart on both sides of the puck, and his goal scoring is constantly improving. Goals per game for both this past season: McDavid, 0.50 goals per game, Matthews 0.548. A difference for sure, but not really a drastic one; both are obviously pretty adept at goal scoring, and that gap has been narrowing. Wouldn't be surprised to see it narrow again this season, as McDavid said in an interview with Dreger during the World Championships that scoring 50 is a goal of his. Wouldn't count him out. If he improves his finishing on breakaways 50 should be a cake walk.

Last edited:

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Tavares got 11M in his prime as a UFA.. but yeah Matthews' will get more than McDavid.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Mcdavid had 41 goals Matthews prob gets 45 over the hole season so pretty close.

Mcdavid led the league in takeaways I’d take him defensively over Matthews because the puck is not in mcdavids zone... he has the puck...
Mathews does not come close to deserving mcdavid money if he gets it the leafs head office failed.

Matthews has 0.51GPG since coming into the league, McDavid has 0.41 -- the stats back this up.

Defensive play is more subjective, takeaways certainly isn't a stat that does a good job of proving who's better. I personally feel it's Matthews, but would understand if somebody felt differently. To say McDavid blows Matthews out of the water in every single aspect, is plain wrong though.

I agree, Matthews doesn't deserve McDavid money, never said otherwise.

Man, seriously.. this will only be defended by the most homerish of homers.

Also, comparing the 2 players to speculate on one's futur salary is pretty much bulleyes on the topic.

Sorry, it isn't a homer opinion to say Matthews is a better goal scorer than McDavid at this point, literally every stat suggests this to be true.

Comparing the players always just turns the threads into shit shows, Matthews isn't a better player than McDavid, and doesn't deserve the money McD received.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Mathews probably shouldn't get more than McDavid if the were to re-evaluate contracts every year but he could get more because he will be negotiating on next year's cap number and as the cap goes up so do the salaries.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Matthews is going to look at the teams like Tampa (Stamkos, Hedman, Kuch), Pens ( Crosby), and Preds and see that to be a yearly cup threat you have to take a discount. He needs to look no further than Tavares who took a discount to come to Toronto.

I am not saying he will take 5M a year, but he might take 9.5 AAV for like 6 years, similar to deals like Crosby and Stammer took off their ELC. Or maybe he gives them the full 8? Not sure. All that is known is his agent and himself are on record saying how much he loves Toronto and wants to win there. He loves his team mates and loves being a star in this market. He'll be here for a long time and not only will he, but Marner and Nylander will leave money on the table to get to stay together as a core.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Matthews has 0.51GPG since coming into the league, McDavid has 0.41 -- the stats back this up.

Defensive play is more subjective, takeaways certainly isn't a stat that does a good job of proving who's better. I personally feel it's Matthews, but would understand if somebody felt differently. To say McDavid blows Matthews out of the water in every single aspect, is plain wrong though.

I agree, Matthews doesn't deserve McDavid money, never said otherwise.

Sorry, it isn't a homer opinion to say Matthews is a better goal scorer than McDavid at this point, literally every stat suggests this to be true.

Comparing the players always just turns the threads into **** shows, Matthews isn't a better player than McDavid, and doesn't deserve the money McD received.

Mainly because in the first few years McDavid passed way, way, way too much. He was urged to shoot more last season and when he started to, was just as good as Matthews. He's proven he can score if he would stop being so unselfish. lol.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Everything is not about stats. Matthews is a significantly more valuable player than Laine will ever be.
Is Mathews more valuable then Barzal? I ask about Barzl because he was included in my original post. I like Mathews a lot but I think people get carried away with giving him more credit then he's earned so far. However that is just my opinion I could be wrong.

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area
Matthews is going to look at the teams like Tampa (Stamkos, Hedman, Kuch), Pens ( Crosby), and Preds and see that to be a yearly cup threat you have to take a discount. He needs to look no further than Tavares who took a discount to come to Toronto.

I am not saying he will take 5M a year, but he might take 9.5 AAV for like 6 years, similar to deals like Crosby and Stammer took off their ELC. Or maybe he gives them the full 8? Not sure. All that is known is his agent and himself are on record saying how much he loves Toronto and wants to win there. He loves his team mates and loves being a star in this market. He'll be here for a long time and not only will he, but Marner and Nylander will leave money on the table to get to stay together as a core.

It's so easy for people to say they'll leave money on the table to win. How much do you leave on the table on a 8yr deal? 1M, 2M, 3M? that's a lot of money over a 8yr deal.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Mainly because in the first few years McDavid passed way, way, way too much. He was urged to shoot more last season and when he started to, was just as good as Matthews. He's proven he can score if he would stop being so unselfish. lol.

Plus if he can master a couple moves on a breakaway (and he's the last player we should discount that) then the sky is the limit with his ability to score.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo

I doubt he takes less than Eichel when he's proven to be more effective and score more proficiently. Why should he? Just out of the goodness of his heart? Players who take discounts to win are usually in their mid to late 30s, as hangers on trying for that one last run to get a Cup ring. Doubt it happens with Matthews. Also, when those Pens deals you described were signed they were a much bigger percentage of the cap than they are today (obviously because of the cap rising year after year). I mean, MAYBE he takes a discount but I think it would naive to count or bank on it.

If he has another 40 goal season and scores at a point per game then he has every right to ask for 11m or so based on other precedents of salaries given out to players his age, skill, potential and performance. Income tax is also relatively higher than many other markets, so that's going to play a part. Just saying, don't get your hopes up.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Edmonton historically has had to overpay their fa's to stay. Toronto is full of bargain contracts.

Can't see this happening unless someone can prove otherwise.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
McDavid > Matthews in every possible way.

This is so dumb. Is McDavid better than Matthews in every possible way? No. Is he clearly better than Matthews? Of course. Only the most homerish of Leaf fans would even try and argue it.

Will Matthews get McDavid money? I hope not. Although McDavid money next year isn't the same as McDavid money this past year. Salaries go up. Crosby is better than Matthews now, but will make significantly less because of the rise in salaries.

Reactions: Cobra Commander
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad