Matthews/Marner vs Toews/Kane

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I doubt that right now. Let's wait a while before we say that. I certainly wouldn't expect him to outplay Toews head to head tonight, regardless of supporting casts.

Right now Matthews > Toews? Uh, no. In two or three years, ok. But that's insanity if we're talking the present.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Marner is a certain hall of famer, he has hockey IQ and vision like nobody else I've ever watched in a Leafs uniform and I've been watching them for 30 years.

It's possible he won't be as good as Kane, but playing in Toronto he 100% will be a legend, and more revered than Kane is or ever will be. Oh, he's also an infinitely better person than Kane.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Nylander floating right under the radar. He's been every bit as effective as the other 2 this year. Being a year older might have a lot to do with that, but he's just as likely to impact this game

Panik has been dynamite too, if you can't figure out why the duos were selected... Well I don't know what to say.

Marner is a certain hall of famer, he has hockey IQ and vision like nobody else I've ever watched in a Leafs uniform and I've been watching them for 30 years.

That's the problem with the vast majority of Leafs fans, they're unaware hockey exists outside of the Leafs.

Individual and team awards.

You should say the NHL.

Not necessary to say that when you're posting on the National Hockey League Talk forum.

Last edited:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
How is there even a comparison?:laugh::laugh: Kane and Toews are winners, the other two are kids trying tho find their way. Please people, give it some time.
:laugh:

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015

It's possible he won't be as good as Kane, but playing in Toronto he 100% will be a legend, and more revered than Kane is or ever will be. Oh, he's also an infinitely better person than Kane.

Is this a serious post or did you just forget the sarcasm smilie?

And I don't get why the bolded is relevant towards anything related to on ice performance or winning overall.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Unlike Kane, Toews hasn't shown the ability to produce without elite linemates. It's funny, last year your excuse for Toews was poor linemates, but what about Kane in 14-15? He played with an aging Brad Richards as his C and Kris Versteeg, while Toews had Hossa and Saad. And even then, Toews only had 2 more points in 20 more GP. So yea Kane was better that year lol.

Anyways . . .

For this thread, I'd throw in Panarin and Nylander into the mix as well.

Matthews Nylander Marner vs Toews Kane Panarin.

Toews has been better than Kane for 7 of the 8 seasons they've been in the league together.

What advantage he's had in QoT has been more than mitigated by the QoC he faces and the tougher deployment he sees.

Kane has been and remains one of the most heavily sheltered players in the league. Toews doesn't have the offensive talents of Kane, but you can rest assured he could carry Versteeg and whatever RW you want to strong point totals seeing the sheltered minutes Kane sees.

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013

So we are putting Marner in the Hall of Fame before he's played 5 games? Haha ok.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
We got a run-away Toronto hype train in this thread. Matthews has been quiet tonight. Marner has looked the best of the Toronto trio, and not just because he got an assist.

Edit: Nothing a Blackhawk's PK can't fix lmao.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
We got a run-away Toronto hype train in this thread. Matthews has been quiet tonight. Marner has looked the best of the Toronto trio, and not just because he got an assist.

Usually a lot of hype when a team has so much great young talent.

JoeyBeans

Jan 5, 2013
Halifax

Edit: Nothing a Blackhawk's PK can't fix lmao.

How about the oilers hype train for the last 5 years:sarcasm:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Right, proclaiming a 19 year old with 5 career NHL games a future hall of famer is reasonable and normal.

It's not really unreasonable. Matthews is a first overall pick. Most of those guys end up in the HHOF. Oilers got four cracks at a first overall pick, three look good, one looks bad.

You don't think McDavid will be a hall of famer barring injury?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
It's not really unreasonable. Matthews is a first overall pick. Most of those guys end up in the HHOF. Oilers got four cracks at a first overall pick, three look good, one looks bad.

The post was about Marner.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015

First off, he was referring to Marner.

Secondly, it absolutely is ludicrous to claim that any rookie who hasn't even played a full season, will end up a hall of famer. There's just flat out too much hockey to be played and too much to be proven to make a statement like that. Potential doesn't mean **** when we're talking hall of fame. You actually have to go out and perform at a high level for a long time (in addition to having personal, and team accolades) to even begin to have that conversation.

As of right now, there's only 7 first overall picks that have entered the hall of fame. I'm aware that scouting has improved greatly since the 60's and 70's when the draft initially started, but it doesn't change the fact that there are some obvious non-hall of fame, first overall picks playing right now (some ambiguous at this point). I wouldn't even make the statement that "most of them end up in the HHOF" at this point, because it just isn't true.

Last edited:

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Toews is just not that talented offensively. I'll take Matthews/Marner easily.

Toews is plenty talented. He's had first line level production throughout most of his career. He's obviously not on a guy like Crosby's level, but there aren't tons of players that score at or close to a ppg over the course of their career. And that's not even accounting for the other aspects of Toews' game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad