Matthews/Marner vs Toews/Kane

Rayban*

Apr 21, 2013
Ottawa
Matthews/Nylander had the better game, Toews with the nasty S/O goal and the win though. Marner over handled the puck on a couple occasions including the shootout.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
What. Someones gonna take Marner/Matthews over Toews? A proven winner? One of the best 2 way centers? I mean I'm one of the guys that thinks toews is a bit overrated but that is just dumb

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
I don't mean to imply that Toews is the 14th best goal scorer - his G/60 is like 30th over big sample sizes. But it's just silly to say "he's not that talented offensively".

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
What. Someones gonna take Marner/Matthews over Toews? A proven winner? One of the best 2 way centers? I mean I'm one of the guys that thinks toews is a bit overrated but that is just dumb

Given cap hit and age...why not?

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie

What are you going on about? The versus aspect of this was Chicago Leafs game/tonight based. It wasnt a who is better conversation...

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Panik has been dynamite too, if you can't figure out why the duos were selected... Well I don't know what to say.

Leafs don't have a duo, they have a trio. Yeah Matthews and Marner compare best to the Hawks pair stylistically, but Nylander was just as likely to bring something to this game and he went ahead and did just that scoring 2 goals. Which apperantly wasn't enough to get picked ahead of Holland for the shootout

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's a very flawed logic cause a lot of the offensive players who are currently better then Toews where drafted well after 2007.

Yeah the guy who averages 28 goals per season against the leagues best players is horrible offensively. An absolute black hole past the blue line. Might well just throw him on the 4th line and give him 10 sheltered minutes a night. :sarcasm:
I think Toews is a little overrated as well, mostly by the media, but let's get real here.

Keato

Apr 9, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
Knowing how Toews and Kane turn out, I would be hard pressed to take Matthews/Marner over a similarly aged Kane/Toews. That being said, there are two caveats: There is no guarantee that Kane and Toews replicate their success outside of those Chicago Blackhawks teams, and the more obvious issue, we've had nearly a decade of what they can do, while Marner and Matthews have only had five games, so it's a little premature to ask that question regardless. In 10 years, maybe I'd change my answer, but since I have no clue what the future holds...

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Yeah the guy who averages 28 goals per season against the leagues best players is horrible offensively. An absolute black hole past the blue line. Might well just throw him on the 4th line and give him 10 sheltered minutes a night. :sarcasm:
I think Toews is a little overrated as well, mostly by the media, but let's get real here.

Great job taking an extreme approach. I like Toews, a lot. But there are several who are far better at scoring goals drafted after 2007 and to pretend otherwise is daft.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Toews is just not that talented offensively.

Ya, I hear you. He's most definitely a scrub with the puck on his stick. This guy can't do anything offensively. Why is he even playing hockey? I mean it's not like he led his team with 29 points in 22 games in the 2010 playoffs. Or it's not like he has scored 30+ goals twice and 28+ goals six times in a low scoring era while being a defensive minded center.

It's not like he's got 108 playoff points in 124 games. Yeah. This guy is worthless! That's not even PPG! I mean, not even PPG....

It's not like he's got 16 points in 19 games in the last three Olympic and World Cup tournaments.... Not even PPG, again! Duh!

This guy can't even dangle himself through teams and score highlight reel goals. What a shame!

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Great job taking an extreme approach. I like Toews, a lot. But there are several who are far better at scoring goals drafted after 2007 and to pretend otherwise is daft.

He ranks 13th in goals per game pace of players that have played 300 or more games since the 2007 season. Only Ovi, Stammer, Kovy, Crosby, Malkin, Perry, Nash, Gaborik, Parise, Carter, Iggy and Tavares have a higher per game goals rate than him. Many of those guys lack the two-way game Toews has as well. The kid has offence and to pretend like he's not among the leagues 2nd tier elite at scoring goals at a consistent rate is silly. He's not going to go out like Ovi and score 50 goals in a season. What makes him a good player is you can pretty much always count on him to get in the 30 range give or a take a few. He is extremely consistent. His 23 goals in 47 games pace in the shortened season was pretty damn good for someone who is offensively challenged and to suggest otherwise would be daft.

If you go down to 200 or more games only Tarasenko passes him. If you go down to 50 games only McDavid passes him. His goals per 60 are a lot lower because he logs some pretty hefty shutdown ice time. But he can score, there is no doubt about it.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Toews is plenty talented. He's had first line level production throughout most of his career. He's obviously not on a guy like Crosby's level, but there aren't tons of players that score at or close to a ppg over the course of their career. And that's not even accounting for the other aspects of Toews' game.

I think/hope these guys are trolling? No way to justify talking HHOF for Marner yet, and I love the kid. Toews not good offensively?

Anyway, you guys earned it, our team couldn't hold it down to the end. Kinda sad because I think that will overshadow Nylanders performance.
4-on-3 PP with Toews, Kane, Panarin, and (I think) Seabrook is insane.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Toews is just not that talented offensively. I'll take Matthews/Marner easily.

LOL. That's why Toronto's last Cup was in 1967. You're more than welcome to hype your young players. But don't disparage The Captain of a 3 Cup Champion / Conn Symthe winner / Selke Winner / 2x Gold Medalist, vs. 3 "puppies" who haven't sniffed a playoff in their lives.

I'm sure this kind of thinking went into trading Panik for Morin last year. It's one thing to made bad trades due to the cap or chemistry ... it's another being just stupid.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
LOL. That's why Toronto's last Cup was in 1967. You're more than welcome to hype your young players. But don't disparage The Captain of a 3 Cup Champion / Conn Symthe winner / Selke Winner / 2x Gold Medalist, vs. 3 "puppies" who haven't sniffed a playoff in their lives.

I'm sure this kind of thinking went into trading Panik for Morin last year. It's one thing to made bad trades due to the cap or chemistry ... it's another being just stupid.
Hilarious. You knock me for jumping the gun on "Young Guys" only to point out the biggest NHL fluke as some huge mistake after 5 NHL games. You do know Panik's shooting % of over 70% is unsustainable, right?
The Leafs aren't spending 21 million in cap on Matthews and Marner. They don't have a need to have a player with no future taking ice-time from a young player.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Hilarious. You knock me for jumping the gun on "Young Guys" only to point out the biggest NHL fluke as some huge mistake after 5 NHL games. You do know Panik's shooting % of over 70% is unsustainable, right?
The Leafs aren't spending 21 million in cap on Matthews and Marner. They don't have a need to have a player with no future taking ice-time from a young player.

You guys are playing Matt Hunwick and Roman Polak in 2016.

Are your D prospects that bad that rookies couldnt take those slots?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
You guys are playing Matt Hunwick and Roman Polak in 2016.

Are your D prospects that bad that rookies couldnt take those slots?

Our prospect pool is #1 in the entire NHL. According to every listing.
You cannot have rookies everywhere. You can argue the Leafs already have too many. They have the most in the NHl as it is.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
You cannot have rookies everywhere. You can argue the Leafs already have too many. They have the most in the NHl as it is.

But you admit that at least two guys with no future are taking roster spots over young players on the leafs, then?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

Where have I heard that before? Could it be Edmonton?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
But you admit that at least two guys with no future are taking roster spots over young players on the leafs, then?

Yes.
But surely you agree you can't have too many rookies, and the Leafs already have the most.
And Richard Panik is a scrub who's having a fluke start to the season. To criticize Lou for that trade is silly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad