Matthews/Marner vs Toews/Kane

Like Eich

Feb 22, 2016
Anyone else pumped for this? Hockey night, original 6 matchup, and we get to see the battle between two dynamic duos. The young and upcoming superstars vs the veteran 3 time cup winners. Lets drop the puck.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Nylander floating right under the radar. He's been every bit as effective as the other 2 this year. Being a year older might have a lot to do with that, but he's just as likely to impact this game

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
As both Leaf and Hawks fan (Leafs first and foremost) I'm incredibly psyched for this. Hoping the kids can keep this close, Hawks pose all kinds of problems...

Keato

Apr 9, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
Hawks are have been a good team for quite a while now, and given the way the first four games have gone for the Leafs, I wouldn't be surprised if the veteran Hawks come out with the win.

Of course, you need to actually play the game first, so who knows?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Hawks are have been a good team for quite a while now, and given the way the first four games have gone for the Leafs, I wouldn't be surprised if the veteran Hawks come out with the win.

Of course, you need to actually play the game first, so who knows?

The Hawks are perfectly capable of beating anyone on even strength. I don't think you realize how bad our PK is. IF the Hawks had even a below average PK unit, they might be undefeated. This isn't some fluke goals they are letting up. The Hawks look silly on the penalty kill.

Aintboutdatlyfe*

Should be fun, a lot of parallels between the duo, although I don't think Toews and Thews are that similar.

I wouldn't even predict McDavid to have their level of team success. Can't predict that kinda stuff til it actually happens. But as individual players I could see them being similar. Not gonna say it's impossible for them to be better, too. Matthews a bit better than Toews, Marner a bit worse than Kane.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Should be fun, a lot of parallels between the duo, although I don't think Toews and Thews are that similar.

I wouldn't even predict McDavid to have their level of team success. Can't predict that kinda stuff til it actually happens. But as individual players I could see them being similar. Not gonna say it's impossible for them to be better, too. Matthews a bit better than Toews, Marner a bit worse than Kane.

Toews was better than Kane until last year (bad year for Toews). Now he's playing with a journeyman and rookie this year. Toews MUST produce more tangibly this year ... but don't underestimate his skills. There's far more than meets the eye.

Keato

Apr 9, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
The Hawks are perfectly capable of beating anyone on even strength. I don't think you realize how bad our PK is. IF the Hawks had even a below average PK unit, they might be undefeated. This isn't some fluke goals they are letting up. The Hawks look silly on the penalty kill.

I've heard talk of their PK playing poorly, but have yet to catch any of their games so far. It will be interesting to check them out, though I assume they'll get it sorted out in the next dozen games or so.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Was fully expecting this to be another

Matthews = Toews 2.0
Marner = Kane 2.0

thread

but yes it should be a fun game, hawks gonna come out hard after tonights game

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Toews was better than Kane until last year (bad year for Toews). Now he's playing with a journeyman and rookie this year. Toews MUST produce more tangibly this year ... but don't underestimate his skills. There's far more than meets the eye.

Kane was better the year before last.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Kane was better the year before last.

Really? When Kane missed the final 20 regular season games? Perhaps (your opinion) ... but in the playoffs, they were pretty much the same. Toews at 21pts. Kane had 23pts. And considering Toews is the better defensive player, I'm going to say Toews had the better playoffs.

There's no doubt Kane was better last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad