Matthews/Marner vs Toews/Kane

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Where have I heard that before? Could it be Edmonton?

Edmonton relied on 1st overalls and could not draft after the first round. The Leafs are not in the same situation at all.
And Edmonton looks fine to me.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Yes.
But surely you agree you can't have too many rookies, and the Leafs already have the most.
And Richard Panik is a scrub who's having a fluke start to the season. To criticize Lou for that trade is silly.

I don't care about the trade. Both teams thought it was a minor league deal, Panik just showed well and Q gets fixated on guys.

I also don't think Panik is a scrub. I think he's a good, not great player who yes, is riding an unsustainably high shooting percentage right now.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Edmonton relied on 1st overalls and could not draft after the first round. The Leafs are not in the same situation at all.
And Edmonton looks fine to me.

Of course Edmonton looks fine to you. 1992 looks much better than 1967.

Potential is well ... just potential. If you don't believe me, just ask Tampa Bay and Washington. Heck, the Penguins got a ton of flak even with ONE Cup with Crosby ... until last year.

Winning the Cup isn't that easy, let alone THREE. When you experience a legitimate playoff run, you'll realize it too. Prove that you can turn that potential into actual performance. Until then, I remain skeptical (and I like Auston). And you should too coming from Toronto.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I don't care about the trade. Both teams thought it was a minor league deal, Panik just showed well and Q gets fixated on guys.

I also don't think Panik is a scrub. I think he's a good, not great player who yes, is riding an unsustainably high shooting percentage right now.

Panik has always been a "has the tools, not the toolbox" type of player. Could it be that he's finally put it all together? Possibly. Though I think it's more likely that he's just having an unsustainably good stretch to start the season and he'll fall back to earth

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Panik has always been a "has the tools, not the toolbox" type of player. Could it be that he's finally put it all together? Possibly. Though I think it's more likely that he's just having an unsustainably good stretch to start the season and he'll fall back to earth

Of course it's not sustainable. But I think it's realistic that he score 20-25 goals this year ... which is more reflective of his talent.

HarrisonFord

Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Of course Edmonton looks fine to you. 1992 looks much better than 1967.

Potential is well ... just potential. If you don't believe me, just ask Tampa Bay and Washington. Heck, the Penguins got a ton of flak even with ONE Cup with Crosby ... until last year.

Winning the Cup isn't that easy, let alone THREE. When you experience a legitimate playoff run, you'll realize it too. Prove that you can turn that potential into actual performance. Until then, I remain skeptical (and I like Auston). And you should too coming from Toronto.

There's a big difference between Toronto and Edmonton so far. Before McDavid, despite all the high powered offensive weapons that they had, they were in the bottom 5 in the league in terms of GF/GP. That's because they had consistently bottom 5ish possession numbers. Their coaching and system was as big of an issue as anything. The Leafs, on the other hand, have top 10ish possession numbers and currently are 6th in GF/GP and are 4th in terms of GF/60 at ES.

HarrisonFord

Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Of course it's not sustainable. But I think it's realistic that he score 20-25 goals this year ... which is more reflective of his talent.

It could happen, for sure. I'd bed on that happening over him not hitting 20. Though I will say I think if he hits 20-25, that's going to be a career high for him, and he slips back to a 10-15 guy going forward.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
There's a big difference between Toronto and Edmonton so far. Before McDavid, despite all the high powered offensive weapons that they had, they were in the bottom 5 in the league in terms of GF/GP. That's because they had consistently bottom 5ish possession numbers. Their coaching and system was as big of an issue as anything. The Leafs, on the other hand, have top 10ish possession numbers and currently are 6th in GF/GP and are 4th in terms of GF/60 at ES.

And I like Babcock. He knows how to build a team. But you can understand why I like to make fun of the fans of the foliole. After 5 games, they are proclaiming Matthews and Marner as the new Toews and Kane. Seriously, take a step back and listen how silly that sounds. It's not easy what Toews and Kane did ... WITHOUT a superstar goalie.

HarrisonFord

Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
And I like Babcock. He knows how to build a team. But you can understand why I like to make fun of the fans of the foliole. After 5 games, they are proclaiming Matthews and Marner as the new Toews and Kane. Seriously, take a step back and listen how silly that sounds. It's not easy what Toews and Kane did ... WITHOUT a superstar goalie.

I think that all that the Marner/Matthews vs. Kane/Toews is looking at similar players stylistically and trying to make comparables. Honestly, you can see some stylistic similarities throughout the two lineups. Kane/Marner, Matthews/Toews, Gardiner/Hjalmarsson, Rielly/Keith, Zaitsev/Seabrook, Nylander/Hossa. Now, obviously the Leaf players aren't even close to the Hawks guys yet, but you can see that there's a similar play style between a lot of the guys. What it shows to me is the mold that the Leaf management is trying to make for their roster.

Personally, I don't think Marner hits Kane level. I do think Matthews can hit Toews level though. Honestly, it could be as early as next season. He's not a superstar yet, but if you watch his game, you can't deny that the talent is there to reach superstar level eventually - and sooner rather than later.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I think that all that the Marner/Matthews vs. Kane/Toews is looking at similar players stylistically and trying to make comparables. Honestly, you can see some stylistic similarities throughout the two lineups. Kane/Marner, Matthews/Toews, Gardiner/Hjalmarsson, Rielly/Keith, Zaitsev/Seabrook, Nylander/Hossa. Now, obviously the Leaf players aren't even close to the Hawks guys yet, but you can see that there's a similar play style between a lot of the guys. What it shows to me is the mold that the Leaf management is trying to make for their roster.

Personally, I don't think Marner hits Kane level. I do think Matthews can hit Toews level though. Honestly, it could be as early as next season. He's not a superstar yet, but if you watch his game, you can't deny that the talent is there to reach superstar level eventually - and sooner rather than later.

I think Matthews is the player the Leafs build around. It's obvious he has a special talent. The other guys ... you have to wait and see. Even with Patrick Kane, there were so many issues ... Blackhawk fans / mgmt. weren't all sold on him until 2014. (and this had nothing to do with his off the ice issues). It's so easy to compare, it's almost impossible to duplicate. Try comparing your players to Tampa Bay before you compare them to a THREE time Stanley Cup Champion. This why so many young players fail in Toronto. Unrealistic expectations ultimately destroys their confidence.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Matthews and Marner/Nylander can easily reach Kane/Toews level, they aren't even close to being the best duo of this decade. The real question of whether or not Toronto will be able to have Chicago-like success is if our other prospects are able to reach the level of guys like Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Leddy, Byfuglien, Ladd, Keith, Sharp, Hossa, Campbell, etc. Hawks have had an endless supply of great players to their organization and that's been the real key to their success.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think Matthews is the player the Leafs build around. It's obvious he has a special talent. The other guys ... you have to wait and see. Even with Patrick Kane, there were so many issues ... Blackhawk fans / mgmt. weren't all sold on him until 2014. (and this had nothing to do with his off the ice issues). It's so easy to compare, it's almost impossible to duplicate. Try comparing your players to Tampa Bay before you compare them to a THREE time Stanley Cup Champion. This why so many young players fail in Toronto. Unrealistic expectations ultimately destroys their confidence.

They weren't sold on a consistent, nearly or above point per game player with a Conn Smythe trophy? Interesting.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Matthews and Marner/Nylander can easily reach Kane/Toews level, they aren't even close to being the best duo of this decade. The real question of whether or not Toronto will be able to have Chicago-like success is if our other prospects are able to reach the level of guys like Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Leddy, Byfuglien, Ladd, Keith, Sharp, Hossa, Campbell, etc. Hawks have had an endless supply of great players to their organization and that's been the real key to their success.

Well, if Matthews, Marner and Nylander are easily going to reach Kane/Toews level ... you should start planning for numerous parades.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Yeah exactly. They're not so hot of a team with Keith, Toews, Kane and even another elite player now in Panarin... why is that? Depth would be the answer.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Well, if Matthews, Marner and Nylander are easily going to reach Kane/Toews level ... you should start planning for numerous parades.

Believe me I will as long as Rielly also becomes Keith, and Zaitsev becomes Seabrook, and Kapanen become Hossa, and Nielsen becomes Hjalmarsson, and Dermott becomes Leddy, and Korshkov becomes Byfuglien, etc etc.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

Some of those players were traded for and signed as UFA's.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Marner and Matthews are two very talented players, and I know that were going to have a ton of success with them moving forward.

Also, I will not forget about Nylander, he is an absolute beast so far.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
They weren't sold on a consistent, nearly or above point per game player with a Conn Smythe trophy? Interesting.

Yeah ... trade rumors are circling around Kane constantly. Heck, it was over this board too. For someone comparing Matthews, Marner, and Nylander to Kane ... you don't know much about him.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Ya Panik can easily score that. Problem with Panik was never his ability to score, it was his ability to do anything else. He found a nice niche in Chicago, just being the trigger man to all that talent around him.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Yeah ... trade rumors are circling around Kane constantly. Heck, it was over this board too. For someone comparing Matthews, Marner, and Nylander to Kane ... you don't know much about him.

I never even compared them to Kane, I said they're going to be elite players if not already. Oh no trade rumors, Gretzky was actually traded. Kane was an elite player before 2014... is there something you're not getting here?

jford

Apr 21, 2015

Your argument is trade rumors involving Kane "had nothing to do with his off the ice issues" and that Stan Bowman wasn't sold on him until 2014?

That's highly arguable. He might have been traded due to the off ice issues - most of the serious trade rumors were after his Madison mess - but for his relationship with Bowman. If there's one single reason Kane is still in Chicago after his numerous off ice issues, Stan Bowman is it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad