Matthews/Marner vs Toews/Kane

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Gardiner is much better than a "Decent" #4. He looks great the past 2 years.
It's not that hard acquiring a #2 D-Man with the prospects they can offer to other teams in a trade.

Last year Gardiner was, this year Gardiner looks like Gardiner from 2 years ago. Good but inconsistent.

Also Larsson was traded for Hall, he was more of a lower end #1 than a #2 but that still sets the standard in the D market. It won't be easy to acquire.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Last year Gardiner was, this year Gardiner looks like Gardiner from 2 years ago. Good but inconsistent.

Also Larsson was traded for Hall, he was more of a lower end #1 than a #2 but that still sets the standard in the D market. It won't be easy to acquire.

You really think every team can expect to get a Taylor Hall back? Winnipeg sure won't get that much for Trouba.
#2 D will still be traded for prospects and first rounders.

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
I'm not going to defend Toews when I was highly critical of him last year. I'm also the one who insists Toews must produce tangibly relative to his contract. I'm also a huge Kane fan too. BUT to dismiss Toews 14-15 season is idiotic. Could Kane have had a better regular season? Absolutely. But he got injured! Staying on the ice is part of hockey. Regardless, the gap wasn't as big some of you imply. And when the playoffs came around, Toews could have won the Conn Smythe.

It's amazing. A couple of years ago, everyone destroyed Kane for his lack of defense. Now he's the greatest thing since slice bread. He is great (fore checking better) ... I agree. But it's not like he's made this incredible jump. Pucks are going in the net and he has better linemates. The same goes for Toews. He struggled last year. But he's playing well this year, except pucks aren't going in. However, he's helped his linemates (Panik has 5 goals). And it's not like his defense got bad all of a sudden.

So stop overreacting. It's always somewhere in between.

Of Panik's five goals, Toews only assisted on one of them.

I am really appreciative of everything Toews has done for the franchise. Extremely. But let's not give credit to Toews for Panik's unexpected beasting to start the season when that's not exactly the case here.

Hawks need more from Toews when he is making as much money as he is.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Looking forward to it, always respected this Blackhawks core. It should be good for our young guys to seenwhat an elite homegrown group can become.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Nylander floating right under the radar. He's been every bit as effective as the other 2 this year. Being a year older might have a lot to do with that, but he's just as likely to impact this game

was just going to say this. why isn't it Matthews/Nylander vs Toews/Kane? Nylander has been just as good as Matthews so far and better than Marner.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Back 2 back tonight for Chicago fully believing Toronto dominates tonight especially when Kane played over 22 mins last night, But should still be a good game non the less!

Toronto is playing their third game in four nights, all road games (so flying to every city). I wouldn't consider them well-rested by any means.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Looking forward to it, always respected this Blackhawks core. It should be good for our young guys to seenwhat an elite homegrown group can become.

Born to just a mere California man and Mexican woman. Trained in the deserts of Arizona. A vacation in Switzerland. The Anti-McJesus will be the savior of Toronto.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Toronto is playing their third game in four nights, all road games (so flying to every city). I wouldn't consider them well-rested by any means.

Well, our PK is playing back to back games. So consider us even.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Actually, Marner was easily the best Toronto forward in the first two games, and arguably for a period of the Winnipeg game, despite the fact that Tyler Bozak has been centering his line :facepalm:

Marner was "easily" the best Leafs forward in the game that Auston Matthews scored four goals?

Right. Thanks for your insight.

fiveonfive

Feb 2, 2016
I hear ya, but remember Quennevilles usage of each player. Toews sees way tougher minutes than Kane. Toews is usually a top qofc player while Kane is the opposite. Anyways just sayin. :)

Q might use Toews against top lines, but the opposing coaches are definitely more worried about stopping Kane then they are stopping Toews. So at the end of the day the QoC probably has a very negligible impact.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Born to just a mere California man and Mexican woman. Trained in the deserts of Arizona. A vacation in Switzerland. The Anti-McJesus will be the savior of Toronto.

Canada sacrificed one of its teams to give Arizona a team.

In turn, Arizona raised a man with the inspiration of that team.

This man wandered the desert (of Arizona) for years, and parted the Colorado River of Arizona (a red river since Colorado literally means "colored red", so essentially the Red Sea).

Went to the mountains (of Switzerland) and spoke to God.

Now he will set his new people free in Canada.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Q might use Toews against top lines, but the opposing coaches are definitely more worried about stopping Kane then they are stopping Toews. So at the end of the day the QoC probably has a very negligible impact.

They both need each other to make the Blackhawks tick. Their skillsets complement the team very well and it produces Cups. Kane has his deficiencies as well as Toews. Toews has to produce more tangibly, but his game hasn't dropped off as everyone says it has. Yes, last year was bad ... but he's much better this year. He'll be fine.

No one is perfect except Erik Karlsson.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Canada sacrificed one of its teams to give Arizona a team.

In turn, Arizona raised a man with the inspiration of that team.

This man wandered the desert (of Arizona) for years, and parted the Colorado River of Arizona (a red river since Colorado literally means "colored red", so essentially the Red Sea).

Went to the mountains (of Switzerland) and spoke to God.

Now he will set his new people free in Canada.

Well done. :)

Not if McJesus has anything to say. The war for Canada begins: McJesus vs. the Anti McJesus.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
No. Also, Nylander hasn't had to carry Bozak/JVR.

Nylander has been great, but Marner has created more scoring chances while also being very good defensively.

Pretty easy to see that Marner has been the best Leaf forward so far this season.

For the rookie forwards it would go,
Marner
Matthews
Nylander

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
No. Also, Nylander hasn't had to carry Bozak/JVR.

Nylander has been great, but Marner has created more scoring chances while also being very good defensively.

Nylander has the most scoring chances/60 on the team, actually. As for defense, I feel that Marner gets a bit too much cred for how devoted he is to defense with his superb backchecking and effort. His positioning, stick work and containment game needs more work.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Nylander has been much, much better than Mitch Marner.

I disagree and I've typically thought Nylander is better than Marner. But Marner has created a significant amount of scoring chances. Not only that, he has 6 blocked shots and has looked extremely impressive defensively. I do admit that Nylander is being severely underrated in the thread title though.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Marner was "easily" the best Leafs forward in the game that Auston Matthews scored four goals?

Right. Thanks for your insight.

That's roughly what Babcock said after that game. I mean in that game, Marner had 2 breakaways, rung one off the post and created several scoring chances for JVR and Bozak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad