Rumor: Matthews and Leafs discussing contract (mod post #605)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Not because they are nice guys. Because they want to win and keep the team together and competitive. They do this knowing that the advertising dollars in toronto are higher then anywhere else.
Any extra cash Matthews makes on the side is extra, this is the real world.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Yeah, I have seen that, but why should Matthews be a nice guy? You cant say the Leafs are a nice organisation, they are throwing players left and right under the bus. This is strictly business, and if Matthews has a career ending injury tomorrow they could care less in the long run.

?

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
That is my point, why should Matthews leave money on the table? If he gets his knee trashed like Cam Neely in 2 years, Leaf will just dump him aswell there, so why should he be a teamguy and take less when his team will ignore him if he is not deliver tomorrow?

The Leafs acquired Horton after he was already defacto retired to someone else's island. The only player I know of who was truly miffed about being put into ltir was Lupul. That's not left, right and centre. It's one guy that simply couldn't stay healthy. It wasn't just some cold business decision either, it was a player that couldn't accept his body wasn't up to NHL standards anymore.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Because Matthews is a good player and isn't comparable to anybody who had been on IR.

And there's also the real answer: Matthews likely wants to win and may just be willing to help facilitate that by offering the team a little wiggle room. Hopefully Nylander and Marner will also look at Tavares' example and do the same. Doesn't take much individually for these three to make a big difference to the team, especially when combined with what Tavares reportedly left on the table. Could be the difference between keeping Gardiner or not. Hopefully someone puts it in those terms for these obviously intelligent young men.

Reactions: Mugzy97

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
It's the same as in Tampa when they use the 0 tax to their advantage to sign cap friendly deals. Does the real world only exist in Toronto?
Tampa bay is bikinis and palm trees, Toronto is snow and slush, you can't compare the two, it doesn't work, very bad comparisson, player take less to play there and end up making more. Forget Tampa.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
This tax thing is overblown and annoying.

NHL salaries aren't as simple as you play here so you're taxed at this rate.

They pay taxes for every state and province which they play in. Plus anyone playing in Canada gets more by default in local currency with the exchange rate factored in.

Is really no surprise that I've never even heard of taxes being a concern for players deciding where to play up until the last couple of years. Seems like it's talked about in the media once and all of a sudden everyone jumps on board to try and justify whatever reason their team didn't sign a guy they wanted.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Tampa bay is bikinis and palm trees, Toronto is snow and slush, you can't compare the two, it doesn't work, very bad comparisson, player take less to play there and end up making more. Forget Tampa.
Why should I forget Tampa? Because it doesn't fit your argument. Toronto may be slush and Snow but also a big city with a great night life that is made for young rich athletes. It's also a city that is the media hub of Canada that serves well when talking about advertising dollars

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Come on kids, get that number up to max cap hit.
You know you want to.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
This tax thing is overblown and annoying.

NHL salaries aren't as simple as you play here so you're taxed at this rate.

They pay taxes for every state and province which they play in. Plus anyone playing in Canada gets more by default in local currency with the exchange rate factored in.

Is really no surprise that I've never even heard of taxes being a concern for players deciding where to play up until the last couple of years. Seems like it's talked about in the media once and all of a sudden everyone jumps on board to try and justify whatever reason their team didn't sign a guy they wanted.

It's still relevent if 50% of your income is taxed at a very low rate. It still adds up to over a million on the 9+ million dollar deals.

If 10-15% is insignificant to you, I'd like to see your team lose 10-15% of their cap and see if it has an affect.

It's slightly overblown because the raw rates make it dramatic, but even when people do the calculation, there's still an advantage there.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Of course you would. Your organization is so barren of talent that you need to do anything to get it. Toronto does not.

If he asks 13-14 million, out him on the market and try to move him to a team that will pay him that.
lol, Toronto would never do that. Without him, your rebuild falls apart. TOR will pay whatever he asks.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Remember how much people here were praying for this to bite the Leafs? Lmao.

Well of course.

Robidas was a funny meme, but it was nothing illegitimate, and it was in no way screwing over any of the athletes.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
lol, Toronto would never do that. Without him, your rebuild falls apart. TOR will pay whatever he asks.

I don't agree with you. if he asks for more than 13, then I think you can deal him for a package which keeps you a contender.

Trust me, I would likely cry if that happened, but losing Auston Matthews would not ruin this franchise. It would set us back, but we would get assets in return, and probably some very valuable ones.

End of the day, your figures are way too high and not realistic, so I don't think we need to worry about it.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
He's a good play and he'll get paid. Then the spin will start, same as with every signing.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I don't agree with you. if he asks for more than 13, then I think you can deal him for a package which keeps you a contender.

Trust me, I would likely cry if that happened, but losing Auston Matthews would not ruin this franchise. It would set us back, but we would get assets in return, and probably some very valuable ones.

End of the day, your figures are way too high and not realistic, so I don't think we need to worry about it.
No, I don't think so. AM and his agent will be looking at the market, and the cap increases going forward, not current comparables (there pretty much are none - AM is in a unique situation), or past signings. There is no realistic package that would replace his value to the Leafs. They aren't going to let him go over a couple million AAV difference, even if they thought 14M, for example, is too high. It would leave a black mark on the franchise. Again, they will pay what he asks. My prediction is 13M AAV, 8 years. To me, him asking that is reasonable when you take everything into consideration.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
No, I don't think so. AM and his agent will be looking at the market, and the cap increases going forward, not current comparables (there pretty much are none - AM is in a unique situation), or past signings. There is no realistic package that would replace his value to the Leafs. They aren't going to let him go over a couple million AAV difference, even if they thought 14M, for example, is too high. It would leave a black mark on the franchise. Again, they will pay what he asks. My prediction is 13M AAV, 8 years. To me, him asking that is reasonable when you take everything into consideration.

Great, I look forward to bumping this when it's much lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese