Rumor: Matthews and Leafs discussing contract (mod post #605)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Why don’t you tell me why Matthews would make more than McDavid and be specific. You say his agent wants to get more money but that’s not how negotiating works, you need to show why you’re worth it.

So put up or shut up, what’s your pitch for Matthews making more than McDavid?
I already covered this a few pages back. You can go read it.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I already covered this a few pages back. You can go read it.

None of what you mentioned deals with fact, even a novice negotiator would immediately counter with nearest comparables. You said 13.5 million, tell me why Matthews is worth 1 million more. At his age McDavid had a hart trophy, what has Mathews done to justify that salary?

You also said comparables don’t matter and that’s frankly wrong. Comparables are extremely important when negotiating contracts.

Have you ever had to negotiate a contract with anyone? I’ve had to.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Knock off the bickering and off topic crap please. I really don't want to close this thread but we're getting there.
Wouldn't it make more sense to just remove the parties that are just instigating and looking for trouble rather than close a thread where actual discussion could be attempted if it weren't for the ones looking for a response to their antics?

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
McDavid does not even make the playoffs.

Matthews will sign $11M @ 8 years.
Why would he get paid the same as a 27 year old? This contract will buy up almost his entire prime years. Tavares is nearing the end of his prime. Matthews will likely become better than Tavares ever was at some point during the contract as well. It makes no sense from Matthews' perspective.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
None of what you mentioned deals with fact, even a novice negotiator would immediately counter with nearest comparables. You said 13.5 million, tell me why Matthews is worth 1 million more. At his age McDavid had a hart trophy, what has Mathews done to justify that salary?

You also said comparables don’t matter and that’s frankly wrong. Comparables are extremely important when negotiating contracts.

Have you ever had to negotiate a contract with anyone? I’ve had to.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you've never negotiated a contract with a high profile professional athlete, so that statement means nothing. And yes, I covered it, and gave my reasoning as to why.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Wouldn't it make more sense to just remove the parties that are just instigating and looking for trouble rather than close a thread where actual discussion could be attempted if it weren't for the ones looking for a response to their antics?
We like to try general written warnings first.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you've never negotiated a contract with a high profile professional athlete, so that statement means nothing. And yes, I covered it, and gave my reasoning as to why.

So you have nothing, well that was obvious as you struggle to understand even the basic concept of RFA vs UFA’s and their inherent value.

You’re out of your depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad