Rumor: Matthews and Leafs discussing contract (mod post #605)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Why should I forget Tampa? Because it doesn't fit your argument. Toronto may be slush and Snow but also a big city with a great night life that is made for young rich athletes. It's also a city that is the media hub of Canada that serves well when talking about advertising dollars
You are the one that mentioned Tampa, i simply told you that Tampa was the worst comparison you could of made, i never attacked Toronto, i think it's a great city.

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Tavares is an overpayment. He might earn the money in the first few years, but during the remaining 3 Leafs will regret that monster deal
LOL “Matthews could sign for 13.5M”
“Maybe Tavares was signed because Matthews is leaving”
“Isn’t Matthews from palm trees and bikinis rather than snow and slush?”

-yababy

And MANY MANY more within the last 48 hours!!! You should go outside, enjoy the summer maybe get a hobby. Trolling the leafs is no way to spend summer lol

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
LOL “Matthews could sign for 13.5M”
“Maybe Tavares was signed because Matthews is leaving”
“Isn’t Matthews from palm trees and bikinis rather than snow and slush?”

-yababy

And MANY MANY more within the last 48 hours!!! You should go outside, enjoy the summer maybe get a hobby. Trolling the leafs is no way to spend summer lol
Well if you do pay 13.5 you better hope he shows up for the playoffs instead of being a no show.

Reactions: yababy

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
He hasn't done much and is a RFA. Leafs should only pay him 8 x 9 million and that way they throw those broke ****s in Winnipeg a bone to sign Laine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
He hasn't done much and is a RFA. Leafs should only pay him 8 x 9 million and that way they throw those broke dicks in Winnipeg a bone to sign Laine.

He's been one of the best goalscorers in the league since his first game in the NHL, not much? I mean he hasn't got McDavid hardware but how many players that are 2 years into their career do?

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
He's been one of the best goalscorers in the league since his first game in the NHL, not much? I mean he hasn't got McDavid hardware but how many players that are 2 years into their career do?
Sorry, I was a bit facetious. He will probably get 8 figures per year. 9,10,11, it's all the same at those numbers. What does he want the money for? A new Gulfstream?

Reactions: Raging Bull

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
He hasn't done much and is a RFA. Leafs should only pay him 8 x 9 million and that way they throw those broke dicks in Winnipeg a bone to sign Laine.
That would be amazing but cant see it being that low. Realistically how much do you see Laine signing for? I can see him getting 8.5

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Well you are obviously wrong. You forget
That Matthews and mcdavid have the same agency.

McDavid signed for 12.5. He is the flagship of the NHL and their golden goose. Matthews could end up second.

No agency in the world is going to let their second best asset get paid more than their first one year apart. Will never happen.

Mcdavid is more important to Orr than Matthews to the leafs
What a stupid post. None of that means anything. They will try to get him as much money as possible.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
What a stupid post. None of that means anything. They will try to get him as much money as possible.
Or said they are going to make sure it's a good deal for the Leafs and a good deal for Matthews. He also said that Matthews wants to be a Leaf for a long time.

Ppl looking for a story where there isn't.

Everything the Leafs have been doing the last 4 years has been pretty good. The assumption should be this will the same unless proven otherwise.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

There is no justifiable reason to argue that Matthews should make more than McDavid. It would be stupid for them to try and suggest he makes more because McDavid’s hardware is superior.

That’s not how negotiations works and I bet in the end he takes a discount.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Or said they are going to make sure it's a good deal for the Leafs and a good deal for Matthews. He also said that Matthews wants to be a Leaf for a long time.

Ppl looking for a story where there isn't.

Everything the Leafs have been doing the last 4 years has been pretty good. The assumption should be this will the same unless proven otherwise.
Of course he is going to say stuff like this in public. But when they get down to business, they will operate like any other agency. Did you know how sports agencies work? Why would they care about making it a good deal for the Leafs? Their goal is to make as much money as possible.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
There is no justifiable reason to argue that Matthews should make more than McDavid. It would be stupid for them to try and suggest he makes more because McDavid’s hardware is superior.

That’s not how negotiations works and I bet in the end he takes a discount.
lol.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Of course he is going to say stuff like this in public. But when they get down to business, they will operate like any other agency. Did you know how sports agencies work? Why would they care about making it a good deal for the Leafs? Their goal is to make as much money as possible.

Cool let me know when in the last 4 years Leafs haven't signed their core players to favourable deals for both the Leafs and the player.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

Why don’t you tell me why Matthews would make more than McDavid and be specific. You say his agent wants to get more money but that’s not how negotiating works, you need to show why you’re worth it.

So put up or shut up, what’s your pitch for Matthews making more than McDavid?

Reactions: Critical91

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa

Sometimes players will give a discount to allow the team to build a stronger team around them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->