Rumor: Matthews and Leafs discussing contract (mod post #605)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
its apparently between 10-11.

take off the tinfoil hats lads. These young kids wanna win, and they arent gonna be going for the jugular and hurting their own chances to ever win a cup

Matthews 11
Marner 7
Nylander 6.5

24.5 for the 3 kids. might have to move the 1.25mil owning to marleau (6.25 hit) to zona for a late pick to fit it in.
johnsson/kapanen will be ready for a top 6 role by then

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
If he were on the Habs and asked for that, I would gladly pay him. Unless you don't think he will be worth it?
Of course you would. Your organization is so barren of talent that you need to do anything to get it. Toronto does not.

If he asks 13-14 million, out him on the market and try to move him to a team that will pay him that.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
zeke, Krazy and bionic seem to think that Matthews will be taking a discount for various reasons, cause Matthews and his agents are such nice guys, the best reason was not to piss off McDavid, that's the one that made me laugh the hardest lol.

Yeah, I have seen that, but why should Matthews be a nice guy? You cant say the Leafs are a nice organisation, they are throwing players left and right under the bus. This is strictly business, and if Matthews has a career ending injury tomorrow they could care less in the long run.

Reactions: DancesWithWookies

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Robidas Island, how many players has not had a house there?
Im not saying Leafs are worse then any other teams, this is business, strictly...
"Robidas Island" is business as well. Those players who have been sent there are all borderline NHL players. You want to play more? Be a better hockey player.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
"Robidas Island" is business as well. Those players who have been sent there are all borderline NHL players. You want to play more? Be a better hockey player.

That is my point, why should Matthews leave money on the table? If he gets his knee trashed like Cam Neely in 2 years, Leaf will just dump him aswell there, so why should he be a teamguy and take less when his team will ignore him if he is not deliver tomorrow?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Im not saying Leafs are worse then any other teams, this is business, strictly...

Robidas was always with the Leafs. He worked with the Marlies as a Player Development coach. So while he couldn’t play, the Leafs didn’t ignore him.

Nathan Horton is self explanatory

Jofferey Lupul was legitimate to. When Lupul said those stupid comments on IG, the NHL did their own physical and he failed.

People act like Robidas Island is a lot more than it is.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Robidas has been well taken care of by the Leafs. He was given a good job with the organization.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
That is my point, why should Matthews leave money on the table? If he gets his knee trashed like Cam Neely in 2 years, Leaf will just dump him aswell there, so why should he be a teamguy and take less when his team will ignore him if he is not deliver tomorrow?
Because Matthews is a good player and isn't comparable to anybody who had been on IR.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I had no idea how much Matthews would sign for but now thanks to this thread, I know it'll be between 9 and 15 million. I love this place. :)

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
zeke, Krazy and bionic seem to think that Matthews will be taking a discount for various reasons, cause Matthews and his agents are such nice guys, the best reason was not to piss off McDavid, that's the one that made me laugh the hardest lol.
Not because they are nice guys. Because they want to win and keep the team together and competitive. They do this knowing that the advertising dollars in toronto are higher then anywhere else.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Yeah, I have seen that, but why should Matthews be a nice guy? You cant say the Leafs are a nice organisation, they are throwing players left and right under the bus. This is strictly business, and if Matthews has a career ending injury tomorrow they could care less in the long run.
They are doing it for themselves not because they are "nice guys" they are young players that want to win and keep the team together. Plus like I have stated many times and seems to be ignored is that the advertising dollars they get in Toronto will more then make up for any money they leave on the table.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Lol if he asks for 13-14 I would trade him.

That’s absurd.

Hfboards can’t make up their mind. In on thread he’s not a top 20 player and is overrated. In another thread he deserves to be the high paid player of all time.

Unbiased, no skin in the game opinion, the dude was top 10 in his rookie year. Now? Considering his age? There is only one other guy in the league as valuable.

Reactions: Critical91

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Unbiased, no skin in the game opinion, the dude was top 10 in his rookie year. Now? Considering his age? There is only one other guy in the league as valuable.
Keep that same energy after he gets signed then

Reactions: yababy

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
That was LAST year when Pastrnak signed that deal, Marner will be up NEXT year, salaries have gone up and will go up more.

Im not sure who Pastrnak's agent is, but that contract was low the moment he signed it. In fact, might be the same agency as Scheifele, Gaudreau, Mackinnon, Barkov.
Using stupidly low contracts is as bad as using stupidly high for comparables.
Marner should be around 8m and Nylander 7m over 8 years. 1m less each for 6 year deals

Reactions: Cobra Commander

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Contracts are more than just the talent of the player. I've mentioned before that the problem with 'tanking' or trying to rebuild through high picks is that organizations have to justify brutal years and market the heck out of these kids. People get excited about the player but when second contracts roll around - the player has all the leverage because if there's a snag in negotiations or they're traded then management will be on some seriously thin ice.

Signing Tavares should keep Matthew's, Marner's and Nylander's contracts to a more reasonable level then they could've otherwise demanded because now The Leafs can market someone else if they need to.

It's like the difference between Rick Nash's second contract and Claude Giroux's second contract.
Or more recently the difference between Draisatl and Pastrnak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad