Rumor: Matthews and Leafs discussing contract (mod post #605)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Unless you have a mole in the Leafs front office , you have no idea what dollar amounts they're talking about so acting like you do is just arrogant.
You are right, i don't know for sure, but i'm trying to use logic. That poster had pretty weak numbers associated with Matthews and Marner, i don't think it's arrogant to think that Marner will be getting more than 7-7.5 mil. He's already a 70 point player and PPG in the playoffs..

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I can agree that maybe we see him take 12 but have a really hard time believing it will be more then that. I've been wrong before. I'm not going to bet on it or anything but expect a friendly bump if he signs for less then you think. :)
No problem with that if it happens. Thank you for being civil and actually engaging in a discussion.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I don't agree with any of this. It doesn't matter if he's a team player; the Leafs cap situation or ability to build a winner is not his concern. That's the GM's job. A 21 year old athlete playing in the biggest market in hockey on the cusp of superstardom is not going to take a discount. Those days are long gone. I don't believe 13M or 14M AAV would be holding the Leafs hostage at all when you take everything into consideration. The cap will continue to climb every year, AM will be 21 years old, and will almost surely get better over the course of the contract. The market value changes every year. All of that will be considered. Like I said, it all comes down to what he wants. The Leafs will pay it.

Lol if he asks for 13-14 I would trade him.

That’s absurd.

Hfboards can’t make up their mind. In on thread he’s not a top 20 player and is overrated. In another thread he deserves to be the high paid player of all time.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Lol if he asks for 13-14 I would trade him.

That’s absurd.

Hfboards can’t make up their mind. In on thread he’s not a top 20 player and is overrated. In another thread he deserves to be the high paid player of all time.
If he were on the Habs and asked for that, I would gladly pay him. Unless you don't think he will be worth it?

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
I am 100% certain, that's why i bet marty111 a 100$. I could be wrong though, but i have no doubts, i would be shocked if he took less.

I hope we don’t have to wait to long to get an answer.

Btw I think you’re getting a bad rep in this thread, unfairly I might add.

I mean I’m fairly certain your wrong about Matthews AAV but I don’t see any alternative motives to your predictions.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
If he were on the Habs and asked for that, I would gladly pay him. Unless you don't think he will be worth it?
Over the course of the contract it likely ends up not being bad but I'd still be pretty unhappy about it. I would hope Dubas would be able to structure a deal similar to Tavares and his bonus structure. Maybe Matthews has a smart financial guy and taking a contract that pays him 15 million in SB as soon as he puts his signature down is beneficial to him.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
9.5 in tampa is like 13 in Toronto..
You can't compare with players signing in Tampa.

Tavares turned down 13 mil to come to Toronto and you don't think salaries have spiked lol. Salaries are going up every year, Marner would laugh at 7 mil.

It's crazy how so many of you are so off the mark with what's going on with NHL salaries, i will be here to tell you "i told you so" when the players sign the contracts.
And the contracts will be deserved and make sense for the players, they hold all the cards, what is so hard to understand about that?

Ok. What is barzal making? ratanen? Tkachuk? Laine? Aho? Boeser?

Let’s see your predictions.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Hahaha so you can be so confident about 3 players and ignore all comparables. But can’t predict them? There is a tangible difference between leaf predictions and others?
I can make predictions on those players, i'm not an invalid, but this is a Matthews thread and i wanna stay on topic. What does it matter what those guys will make, we already have comparables for Matthews and those guys are not it. If you don't think Marner will want Draisaitl money plus some then that's your opinion, we will see when it happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: bionic

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I can make predictions on those players, i'm not an invalid, but this is a Matthews thread and i wanna stay on topic. What does it matter what those guys will make, we already have comparables for Matthews and those guys are not it.

We do. You said comparables don’t matter

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Eichel 10 mil
Matthews 11.5 mil
McJesus 12.5 mil

This is what i'm comparing him to, i could be wrong. But i did put my money where my mouth is.

I'd suggest Matthews comes in a little lower than that (10-11M) just because of team first attitude. I can't prove it of course, but that's my thoughts

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
thing is Matthews doesn't play in Edmonton or buffalo.
He could be playing in China and he still won't be taking less money than he is worth. " So Austin, how do you feel about making less money than you are worth just because we think you are a good boy and will take a discount?.. well what do you think about that Austin? And what about you Austin's agent who is making a percentage?" Let's get real guys..

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
He could be playing in China and he still won't be taking less money than he is worth. " So Austin, how do you feel about making less money than you are worth just because we think you are a good boy and will take a discount.. well what do you think Austin and Austin's agent who is making a percentage?"

point is that in their situations buffalo and Edmonton were scared and desperate and likely overpaid. they were in no position to ask their franchise player's to take one for the team and buy in to the team's success.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
point is that in their situations buffalo and Edmonton were scared and desperate and likely overpaid.
Do you understand that Matthews has a royal flush in his hand and the Leafs have a pair of deuces? He has ALL THE CONTROL, HE will decide how much he makes not them.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Do you understand that Matthews has a royal flush in his hand and the Leafs have a pair of deuces? He has ALL THE CONTROL, HE will decide how much he makes not them.

he has a great young team stacked with young talent and has every reason to buy into that, much like lightning players have done.

The fact that two sadsack franchises were so quick to offer up the moon for their guys doesn't really matter - in fact, the leafs can point exactly at Eichel and mcdavid and ask Matthews if that's really the kind of situation he'd prefer to be in.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
he has a great young team stacked with young talent and has every reason to buy into that, much like lightning players have done.

The fact that two sadsack franchises were so quick to offer up the moon for their guys doesn't really matter - in fact, the leafs can point exactly at Eichel and mcdavid and ask Matthews if that's really the kind of situation he'd prefer to be in.

You mean be well payed or underpayed?
Would you take 20% less salary then your friends doing the same thing, cuz your company is more promising, and maybe it is like 10% you can get it back later like in 7-8 years ahead?
You lie if you say yes, and don´t come and say well payed hockey and whatever else not the same thing… Humans work the same regardless of position and money...

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Except he doesn’t? What cards? A phantom offer sheet to the richest team That hasn’t happened In 5 years? That they match and can trade him to buffalo?

He has no arbitration rights. Is an RFA and has millions in sponsorships.....

He will get what he is worth. Sure. But Conor mcdavid and him are from the same agency. If you really think that they will piss off mcdavid like that I mean come on

He is in the same agency as Connor. They can’t risk pissing him off by getting Matthews a better contract.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
What I think Toronto will use to their advantage Is the advertising dollars they will help him get that will more then make up any money he leaves on the table. The same goes for Marner and Nylander.
Its The same way Tampa uses the no tax to their advantage. They are young players that want to win and keep the team together. I just don't see them asking for the moon.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
You mean be well payed or underpayed?
Would you take 20% less salary then your friends doing the same thing, cuz your company is more promising, and maybe it is like 10% you can get it back later like in 7-8 years ahead?
You lie if you say yes, and don´t come and say well payed hockey and whatever else not the same thing… Humans work the same regardless of position and money...
zeke, Krazy and bionic seem to think that Matthews will be taking a discount for various reasons, cause Matthews and his agents are such nice guys, the best reason was not to piss off McDavid, that's the one that made me laugh the hardest lol.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
You are right, i don't know for sure, but i'm trying to use logic. That poster had pretty weak numbers associated with Matthews and Marner, i don't think it's arrogant to think that Marner will be getting more than 7-7.5 mil. He's already a 70 point player and PPG in the playoffs..

he hasnt hit 70 yet

pastrnak had 34g/70pts when he got 6.67. so yeah thinking marner is getting more than 7.5 is kinda foolish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad