Value of: Matthew Tkachuk

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Its a ton to give up I agree. I just think it would balance out the leafs roster a bit better.
MT is great, but who plays Reilly’s minutes? I guess Hanifin, but he’s not Reilly.
Leafs are dominating right now. Why fix what isn’t broken?

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
In the context of you claiming “you get those players through the draft” in regards to legitimate play driving players, why in the world does it matter? You’re just moving the goal posts because you were spewing one of HF’s beloved buzz phrases that is factually untrue and I called you out.
I think your dislike for a player is distorting your judgment, most likely fueled by frustration and panic. The question is significant because Tkachuk is a similar age to when the PLD and Seguin deals went down. Hes not only better than PLD, by a fair margin, but also produces at a higher rate, than either of them, at that age. You're also trying to suggest that Suzuki was some how a sure thing, which couldn't be further from the truth. I mean if Tre traded Tkachuk for Boldy or Caufield and a player the caliber of Tatar, Flames fans would burn down the Saddledome. The point is Tkachuk is the calibre of player you're coveting, not the Patches or Eriksson portion of the trade.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
MT is great, but who plays Reilly’s minutes? I guess Hanifin, but he’s not Reilly.
Leafs are dominating right now. Why fix what isn’t broken?
This trade shouldn't happen during the season. It would be an offseason trade if the leafs get put out early in the playoffs this year.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I hate these threads . They become a bashfest . Tkachuk is a hated player by 30 teams soon to be 31 . It is what makes him effective . He gets in the head of other players and threw them off their game . As an Oiler fan I hate him , but if the draft was done over I would take him over Puljujarvi altho Puljujarvi is looking good so far in his return . Calgary will not be trading him unless you pay threw the teeth for him . Coaches and GM love this type of player .

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Gaudreau is going to leave so they have Tkachuk as their only high end piece.

Flames need a legit 1C and a 2C that can drive play. Unless they get that or a Giordano replacement they are better off keeping him.

Reactions: User1996

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I think your dislike for a player is distorting your judgment, most likely fueled by frustration and panic. The question is significant because Tkachuk is a similar age to when the PLD and Seguin deals went down. Hes not only better than PLD, by a fair margin, but also produces at a higher rate, than either of them, at that age. You're also trying to suggest that Suzuki was some how a sure thing, which couldn't be further from the truth. I mean if Tre traded Tkachuk for Boldy or Caufield and a player the caliber of Tatar, Flames fans would burn down the Saddledome. The point is Tkachuk is the calibre of player you're coveting, not the Patches or Eriksson portion of the trade.
Please. For the third time - and this is pretty much a verbatim quote from me earlier “I would like Tkachuk to be a Flame”, I don’t know why you’re fabricating my “hate” for Tkachuk. Additionally, where did I say Suzuki was a sure thing? You’re making so many jumps in logic and baseless assumptions here it’s hardly worth having the discussion.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
This seems like a rash overreaction to a small sample size from what was a non-existent off-season and what is a very, very weird season.

Unless a player specifically wants out or does something so stupid he has to be traded, this seems like the worst season ever to try and evaluate and trade a young core player.

I think you gotta give a bigger rope than usual to some guys who may not be having peak seasons or big development years while at the same time not overreacting to some guys who may be on fire with limited scheduling and a much shorter season.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
No, it’s rooted in reality that while Tkachuk is a fantastic complimentary player, he doesn’t have the skills to be the guy in an offence.

And while he may not be that, he could have the value necessary to add that somehow (picks, prospects, hitting on a hockey trade) and for that reason it’s worth exploring.

This isn’t trading Tkachuk for fun, it’s exploring if there is an option that genuinely puts the team in a better place, that’s not short sighted - in fact, it’s the opposite if you’d be willing to wait for the return to develop or whatever. And it certainly isn’t “grass is always greener”. If that’s your impression of my posts in this thread, I don’t know what to tell you - I’ve literally said “I would like Tkachuk to be a Flame”.

P.S. as an aside it’s hilarious to me when fans pretend to know who is captain material or not. 90% of the information needed to make that decision is kept behind doors

Fine. Newhook, JT Compher, Pateryn and a 2021 1st for your complimentary player. 2 centers and a 1st round pick that will be in the 20s. Feel free to draft another C. Pateryn to help make salaries match. He’s a UFA at end of this season so he frees up $2.5mm. Get yourself a nice Canadian kid to replace the outgoing American that apparently is best deployed as a passenger on a good team, which Calgary isn’t.

Last edited:

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Lizotte + 2nd for Tkachuk sounds resonable to me.

Calgary gets a much needed young center and a 2nd rounder while L.A. get winger depth

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Wont happen but now that we got Burke/Hextall Tkachuk and Bennett to Pens would be cool. Too bad we don't got the assets to pull it off but those Caps/Flyers games would be a little more interesting and heated up.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Gaudreau is going to leave so they have Tkachuk as their only high end piece.

Flames need a legit 1C and a 2C that can drive play. Unless they get that or a Giordano replacement they are better off keeping him.
So out of touch with reality.

1. Gaudreau has publicly stated his desire to remain in Calgary.
2. Lindholm is our best player, full stop. Better than Tkachuk, better than Gaudreau.
3. The Flames have 3 top 2 centermen. Lindholm is approaching #1C territory and both Backlund and Monahan are legit #2's.
4. The Flames "issue" is a complete void on the RW. They have a LW depth chart of Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Mangiapane, Dube, Lucic and Bennett. RW is Leivo, Simon and Nordstrom.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
What's the current assessment of Tkachuks availability/value?

Not sure, but IF he were to be traded I do wonder if the structure of his contract affects his value a bit. His QO in the summer of 2022 is $9 million. He's a helluva player, but I'm not sure I'd pay him $9million.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
If he is traded it would take one of your best young assets. Flames need D, RW and C

IMO the Flames are pretty set on D. I suppose if a Norris calibre d-man were coming back, sure. But with Tanev, Andersson, Valimaki, and Hanifin on the back end, who do you move Tkachuk for that actually makes the team better?

Personally, I only see Tkachuk getting moved as part of a package for a #1 centre.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Not sure, but IF he were to be traded I do wonder if the structure of his contract affects his value a bit. His QO in the summer of 2022 is $9 million. He's a helluva player, but I'm not sure I'd pay him $9million.
He'll sign a long-term extension and his QO won't mean jack shit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad