Value of: Matthew Tkachuk

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Maybe if they think Giordano is about to fall off a cliff they could trade him for a young top pairing defenseman or if a team is willing to give an elite centre for him, but otherwise he wouldn't be moved.
What do you mean by “if” . He already has. Maybe not as dramatic as falling off completely , but his play has dipped consistently and with his age , it’s not like he will turn it around

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
What do you mean by “if” . He already has. Maybe not as dramatic as falling off completely , but his play has dipped consistently and with his age , it’s not like he will turn it around
? He has turned it around with Sutter.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
And how much is NYR paying for Tkachuk and Lucic at 50%? From what I can tell it's only a 1st/Buch + Gauthier. I doubt thats enough for Buffalo

Buch/1st/Zac Jones/Gauthier, which actually feels like a pretty good overpayment from them.

If Buffalo isn't satisfied with 5 1st round quality pieces for Eichel, they can pound sand.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Buch/1st/Zac Jones/Gauthier, which actually feels like a pretty good overpayment from them.

If Buffalo isn't satisfied with 5 1st round quality pieces for Eichel, they can pound sand.
I only count 4 1st round quality pieces. which would be 2x 1st, Buch and Pelletier.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
That's exactly how they work.

Tkachuk has a qualifying offer of 9m, and yes they are to retain rights, but Tkachuk can sign it and be good to go and make 9m that year.

They updated the CBA for contracts signed after July 10, 2020, which doesn't apply to Tkachuk as he signed his before.

• The Qualifying Offer is limited to 120% of their previous contracts annual average (AAV)
120% means 8.4,why would the flames offer more then they had to? Sure they could go to 9 no doubt if they're negotiating a longer term after they secure his rights with a QO. I feel they might not qualify him and see if anyone wants to sheet him and then decide if they want to keep him. I think he's a valuable player, how valuable is the question.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
120% means 8.4,why would the flames offer more then they had to? Sure they could go to 9 no doubt if they're negotiating a longer term after they secure his rights with a QO. I feel they might not qualify him and see if anyone wants to sheet him and then decide if they want to keep him. I think he's a valuable player, how valuable is the question.
Because Tkachuk signed his contract before that rule was adopted.

They have to qualify him at his final year salary.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
I only count 4 1st round quality pieces. which would be 2x 1st, Buch and Pelletier.

Understood. I think if the 2019 draft was redrafted today, Zac Jones would be a late 1st rounder. At worst, he's elevated his stock to 2nd round value from an early 3rd round pick. Even if I compromise on that, it's hard to see Buffalo getting many offers of 4 1st round quality pieces and 1 2nd round from any one team. They can accomplish that in a three way trade like my proposal though.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Unlikely but I wouldn’t dismiss it entirely. If Gaudreau and Monahan are on the hot seat if this year goes sideways, Tkachuk should be too.

He’s right there with them for playoff disappointment

he’s the guy you trade and immediately miss having in the lineup. He’s the next Brad Marchand, IMO... He’s a master antagonist with the skill and strength to back it up.

keep him.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Ledge And Dairy

They cant offer less than 9M. The rules when Tkachuk signed his contract stated his QO is equal to his base pay in the final year of his contract. The change in the CBA only effects contracts that were signed after the change

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Whatever they want.
This team is going nowhere fast. Maybe without Tkachuk, and when Gaudreau leaves for nothing, we can finally rank properly for 2023.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->