Player Discussion Matthew Tkachuk - "That Face You Just Want to Punch"

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Where is the weakness in Matthews game? Unlike Johnny in his contract year Matthews possession metrics are near the top of the league. Unlike Johnny, Matthew put his points up on the second line. Unlike Liane, Matthew is not streaky with few droughts on his record. Other players going into their 4th year -Marner 224 pts, Patrick Liane -184 pts, Matthew Tkachuk - 174 pts, Matthew Barzal 147 pts, Pierre Luc-Dubois 109 pts, Zach Werenski 128 points.

Matthew has taken control of his issues with discipline on the ice. I really don't know where Tre can be critical.
Shhhhh... he has to find something!

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Where is the weakness in Matthews game? Unlike Johnny in his contract year Matthews possession metrics are near the top of the league. Unlike Johnny, Matthew put his points up on the second line. Unlike Liane, Matthew is not streaky with few droughts on his record. Other players going into their 4th year -Marner 224 pts, Patrick Liane -184 pts, Matthew Tkachuk - 174 pts, Matthew Barzal 147 pts, Pierre Luc-Dubois 109 pts, Zach Werenski 128 points.

Matthew has taken control of his issues with discipline on the ice. I really don't know where Tre can be critical.

Skating, point production isn't 40% higher, his face is punchable, his brother doesn't play with us thus he's a flight risk to Ottawa or St Louis...

How dare he demand more than Gio? :sarcasm:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Everything about Chucky has said the complete opposite. He thrives on being the player that makes the difference between winning and losing and this his fourth season he will likely step up and take what is his. I will never forget his performance through the 2016 CHL playoffs. He is our only drafted player to show that championship pedigree before he hit the NHL. Chucky lives to be the difference maker.

Just off the top of my head, Jankowski, Gillies and Gaudreau (USHL, NCAA and World Junior Championships) also are in this category. All three were valuable players on teams that won championships. Gaudreau in particular was the MVP of the playoffs in the NCAA championship, and also won the MVP of the Beanpot tournament in the same year. I'm not sure if you weren't aware of this, or if you're simply doubting its significance.

I'm a big fan of what Tkachuk can do and how he brings a very unique element to this team, but there are definitely counterpoints that the Flames can make to these. If possession metrics are being discussed, they can point out that he's been stapled to the Flames' consistent best possession forwards, so it's somewhat inevitable. When he's been popped onto a different line (like with Gaudreau and Monahan) his possession numbers plummet. If usage is used to suggest that his numbers were limited, they can point to the fact that Tkachuk had opportunities with other lines, but only really produced with the second line. In addition, his numbers were heavily boosted by his top PP unit time; his PP points realistically don't have a lot of room to increase. Also, in terms of your comparison to Gaudreau, Gaudreau has consistently put up points on every line he's been on, including with Colborne and Byron, briefly with Backlund and Jones, with Jooris and Hudler, etc. He more than proved that he could score on the third line, then he was moved up and moved up again. Tkachuk, so far at least, has shown that he needs the right linemates to succeed.

And, finally, I think that the thing that management will use more than anything (just like they would with Gaudreau if this was his contract year) is that during the playoffs, Tkachuk couldn't do anything right after Game 1. Whether you agree with it or not, that series should hurt his negotiation. So I think there's definitely some hope there that Treliving will be able to keep the contract manageable like he always does.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Just off the top of my head, Jankowski, Gillies and Gaudreau (USHL, NCAA and World Junior Championships) also are in this category. All three were valuable players on teams that won championships. Gaudreau in particular was the MVP of the playoffs in the NCAA championship, and also won the MVP of the Beanpot tournament in the same year. I'm not sure if you weren't aware of this, or if you're simply doubting its significance.

The Beanpot is just for bragging rights in Boston. In reality it is a nothing tourny.

Johnny never won a NCAA championship and has not won a league championship since he was with Dubuque before they were moved into hockey East. The world Junior team he was part of was essentially a US all-star team with Gibson in net, Trocheck, Vesey, Grimaldi, Seth Jones, Kuraly, Trouba, J.T. Miller, Gotisbehere, Galchenyuk, Gillies, and Connor Murphy. The MVP was Gibson and best forward was RNH.

Neither Jankowski or Gillies to this point have elevated themselves to being a star in the NHL. Gillies was the MVP and Janko got better as the NCAA tournament progressed. You could maybe argue Gilles has the force majeure in him but it is irrelevant at this point and time.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Yes he did. In his first year, he won the 2012 National Championship, scoring in the third period of the final. As I said, he also won the Hockey East Playoff MVP award that year.
I stand corrected. On Wikipedia Johnny isn't listed as a NCAA champ and I was surfing there to look at individual scores.

College
Beanpot MVP2012[54]
Bill Flynn Trophy – Hockey East Tournament Most Valuable Player2012[55]
Hockey East All-Tournament Team2012[54][56]
All-Hockey East Rookie Team2012[57]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Does anyone know of a comparable for Tkachuk who started their career strong, with a similar skillset, but failed to live up to their deal out of ELC?

While I know Tkachuk is rock bottom level risk for being a bust, I'm sure lots would have doubted Laine would be capable of declining after his first year. We've just been talking about how good he is and comparables (ie: Johnny), but are there similar players Tre could use to dampen Matty's ask?

Maybe Gabriel Landeskog on Colorado? Here's where I compare them. Both were drafted top 10 at their respective draft years. Both have super leader skills at very young age ( Landeskog was the youngest named captain in NHL history few years ago/ Tkachuk would possibly be named captain of Flames this year if it weren't for Gio). Not as well known around fan-circles is Landeskog is an "in-your-face, net-front disturber of Dmen and Goalies", just not as blatant or well-known as Tkachuk. Years back when in the 'Peg for Jets games, I remember very well Landeskog challenging Buff regularly but skating away before getting fully "Buffed". Also he would get in Scheifele's grill regularly, all while scoring or setting up team-mates for goals.
They are both built about the same, Landeskog is actually a little stockier but he is now 25or so...
Landeskog is signed for something like 5. 29 mil per for a couple more years. He faltered somewhat shortly after his "big signing" ( high at that time), but rebounded solidly ever since. Comparing to today's salaries, Landeskog equals a high 8 mil, at least for amid to longer term. Of course Tkachuk is more of a "for show" _hit disturber, game-in game-out but quietly Landeskog portrays a similar side with high-valued and respected scoring ability and 200'ft game responsibility while being a team leader.
Maybe just me and my take on watching Landeskog over a few years periodically, but I see a bit ofvTkachuk overall game & skill-set?
Also, JVR back when he was in T.O., a younger version. He could forecheck, hit, whack players from behind and distract them, throw them off their game, charge the net hard, disrupt the flow and then "turtle" to a degree. But then he would score when in close.
Obviously see a lot of his dad Keith's game in Matthew with a little more along the boards jam...
You know what would be really cool would be to snag Matthew's younger bro Brady off of Ottawa!! Not sure of the appropriate "pay"... But would be interesting to both Tkachuk's in Flames Get-together!!

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Obviously see a lot of his dad Keith's game in Matthew with a little more along the boards jam...
You know what would be really cool would be to snag Matthew's younger bro Brady off of Ottawa!! Not sure of the appropriate "pay"... But would be interesting to both Tkachuk's in Flames Get-together!!
Cost would be Gaudreau, but at this point, it'd be worth considering. Graduate Matty to #1LW, slot Brady at #2LW with the hopes he can play some Center. Terrorize the Cancucks for decades like the Sedins did to us :dunno:

Ottawa might not be bright enough to know Johnny would be miserable there and would leave the first chance he got, but if any team was going to do it...

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Honestly I would prefer their 1st :naughty:
The 1st could become any player! It could even become a Colin White!!

I honestly think Colin White would be a steal for us on the right side. I just don't think Ottawa would do it. Johnny doesn't make them competitive before he's UFA

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The 1st could become any player! It could even become a Colin White!!

I honestly think Colin White would be a steal for us on the right side. I just don't think Ottawa would do it. Johnny doesn't make them competitive before he's UFA

True, but it could even be Lafrenière.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Gaudreau is the catalyst for our offence. Tkachuk looks like he's going to be amazing but trading Gaudreau for two rookies seems... well it seems dumb, even if they have strong projections. We are competing now. Trading the main reason we are where we are now just to get younger while already being young/for family connections is terrible asset management. How much younger do we need to get? Do we want to trade everyone as they hit their prime if they don't lead us to a cup. Neither Tkachuk can do what Gaudreau does at this point and suggesting to trade him is insane.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Gaudreau is the catalyst for our offence. Tkachuk looks like he's going to be amazing but trading Gaudreau for two rookies seems... well it seems dumb, even if they have strong projections. We are competing now. Trading the main reason we are where we are now just to get younger while already being young/for family connections is terrible asset management. How much younger do we need to get? Do we want to trade everyone as they hit their prime if they don't lead us to a cup. Neither Tkachuk can do what Gaudreau does at this point and suggesting to trade him is insane.

Honestly I’d consider moving Gaudreau for B. Tkachuk. He’s a **** and we need more of that in our top 6. It also extends our window by a lot.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Honestly I’d consider moving Gaudreau for B. Tkachuk. He’s a **** and we need more of that in our top 6. It also extends our window by a lot.
I think he's an amazing player but I'm not sure he's Gaudreau level. The ask would probably be along the lines of Dube +Vali/Ras and more, instead of a player entering his prime.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I don’t think he is either. They would need to add for sure.
I'm not sure if there's an add to Tkachuk that really entices me enough for Gaudreau to go. White is a good start, or even someone who's a RWer to play with Backlund and B. Tkachuk.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't know that extending our window is really a priority for a team with a nucleus as young as ours. The main thing that needs to happen to make sure we have a good window of contention is that Giordano needs to be replaced, though realistically there are examples of top defencemen in the league remaining leaders on their team into their 40s, so even that may not be as pressing a concern as we may think.

At 26 years old and at his size and style of play, Gaudreau isn't going to get worse all of a sudden any time soon. He's the kind of player that I think you can comfortably lock up to his mid-30s and not worry too much about it becoming an albatross, similar to Patrick Kane.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
At 26 years old and at his size and style of play, Gaudreau isn't going to get worse all of a sudden any time soon. He's the kind of player that I think you can comfortably lock up to his mid-30s and not worry too much about it becoming an albatross, similar to Patrick Kane.

Gaudreau is not even close to being on the same plane as Patrick Kane. Patrick Kane makes any center he plays with look like an all-star. Johnny has yet to have any sustained success apart from Monahan. Johnny was tried with Lindholm and Backs again last season and after no returns was returned to playing with Monahan. Contrary to the common belief around here Gaudreau's success is more dependent on Monahan than the other way around.

No matter if the Hawks played Kane with Toews(56 GF), Anisimov(79 GF), Strome(25 GF), or Nick Smaltz(47 GF) Kane produces. Johnny has not hit double digits with any other center with Goals for a line in the last 3 seasons combined.

SO the statement about Gaudreau maintaining effectiveness in the coming years equating to Kane's longevity is complete garbage.

Last edited:

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Imagine thinking that Gaudreau is more dependent on Monahan than the other way around

Side note I know we’re just speculating but Ottawa isn’t going to move Tkachuk or White. They’re cheap af but that’s their next wave. Chabot/Tkachuk/White/Formenton etc

They aren’t going to move them for older pending UFAs or for lesser prospects

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Gaudreau is not even close to being on the same plane as Patrick Kane. Patrick Kane makes any center he plays with look like an all-star. Johnny has yet to have any sustained success apart from Monahan. Johnny was tried with Lindholm and Backs again last season and after no returns was returned to playing with Monahan. Contrary to the common belief around here Gaudreau's success is more dependent on Monahan than the other way around.

No matter if the Hawks played Kane with Toews(56 GF), Anisimov(79 GF), Strome(25 GF), or Nick Smaltz(47 GF) Kane produces. Johnny has not hit double digits with any other center with Goals for a line in the last 3 seasons combined.

SO the statement about Gaudreau maintaining effectiveness in the coming years equating to Kane's longevity is complete garbage.

I am sorry to say, but this is one of the worst takes I've read in a while. The only thing that Kane has on Johnny is the shooting. That's it.

Let me ask you this, if you were to remove Johnny or Monahan from the Flames, which one would the Flames be better off with off the team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad