Player Discussion Matthew Tkachuk - "That Face You Just Want to Punch"

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
Any updates on Matthew Tkachuk after that awkward fall into the boards vs the Islanders last Sunday?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Nah still day to day. Won't be in tomorrow's game.
We won't hear anything else either, with no need to put guys on IR due to roster limits, they will continue to keep guys as day to day with next to know explanation.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
73C8FB64-9413-4083-BFBC-920B6DB92447.jpeg

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Sucks, but Tkachuk's longterm health is one of the most important things (period.) for this franchise. He's gotta be 110% before getting put out there again.

Reactions: Cyrano

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I can not wait to see him in the playoffs. He is going to be such a warrior.

Reactions: Cyrano

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Can we please stop using this Reddit guy as a legitimate source. He's neither a legitimate media source nor a verified source.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yeah I don’t buy that at all. Look at Noah and Lindy, both came in a shade under 5 and Tkachuk is already more accomplished than both at a younger age. I would think the Flames wouldn’t try anything lower than 5.5 per over 6 years. I think Tkachuk would respect the Gio/Johnny cap but I also think he needs to score over 65pts next season to realistically get that. Really as of today, Tkachuk wouldn’t get more than 5.75 from the Flames but I could see his camp settling for the Monahan contract which really is probably the most fair ask for all parties.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah I don’t buy that at all. Look at Noah and Lindy, both came in a shade under 5 and Tkachuk is already more accomplished than both at a younger age. I would think the Flames wouldn’t try anything lower than 5.5 per over 6 years. I think Tkachuk would respect the Gio/Johnny cap but I also think he needs to score over 65pts next season to realistically get that. Really as of today, Tkachuk wouldn’t get more than 5.75 from the Flames but I could see his camp settling for the Monahan contract which really is probably the most fair ask for all parties.
It's not even a matter of buying it. It's a negotiation. The asks from either side will be out of whack to start.

Reactions: Unlimited Chequing

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Tkachuk would welcome playing off-wing for Flames

“It’s one of those things where you’re not on the left side the whole game,” said Tkachuk who has played with centre Mikael Backlund and right winger Michael Frolik on the team’s second line for the majority of the last two seasons. “Your first option coming back is going to the left side. But we’re in the NHL and should be able to catch a pass on our backhand, right? I don’t know if the adjustment will be too hard. It’ll be a little different picking up (pucks that) rim (around the boards), but it’s nothing I haven’t done. I just think if you are given that opportunity (on the top line with Gaudreau and Monahan), it’s two guys I haven’t played with yet.”

Give him $7mm x 8

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Didn't he play RW in junior? I think he could adjust fine at the NHL level. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Neal or Lindholm on the third line at some point this year

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Didn't he play RW in junior? I think he could adjust fine at the NHL level. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Neal or Lindholm on the third line at some point this year

I think he played RW in his USA hockey days. But with the Knights he was a LW

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I always saw it as "some" RW in Jr. That could be USHL, or it could just be a handful of games or both

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

News from the Reddit insider.

Actually, I could imagine this is true. However, it's not a proper negotiation, it's really two sides just flexing and warming up. That and the Tkachuks understand how a negotiation works. It's just two sides doing their best to do what's best for who they represent. The player, mostly looks after themselves, but also to a certain extent considers lowering their number to ensure they get enough of a supporting cast to continue to look good. The GM looks for a way to make the team/ownership happy and the player happy. If the team is top loaded and handcuffed in a way that they don't have enough talent to go far, that's bad. If the team pays the player and has enough to add loads more talent to the roster, that's good. If the player is insulted by the low contract, that's bad.

I don't think it was a formal negotiation at all if those were the rumored numbers in play. Kinda like in Texas Hold'em where there's that guy with the sht eating grin threatening to go all in after taking a peek at his hand. But all players involved know that's a ploy to get the weak players to show their tell, because it's a really dumb thing to do without seeing the river for cheap. That is unless you're going for broke or trying to bully an opponent out of the round before they can get dangerous. I would not be surprised if the Gio cap is still maintained after the dust settles. I'd imagine when both sides get serious Gaudreau and Mony are ceilings and Hanifin's deal is the floor.

Regarding RW, Tkachuk was experimented on RW in junior, almost as if they predicted a year in advance that he may land on a team who needs help on RW... Like... maybe the Calgary Flames?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
That seems very close.
4.5 offer from club.
7.0 from player.

Meet somewhere between there. Matt Tkachuk will get as much as Sean Monahan.

The middle of the two is 5.75. That's a Dougie deal. But I agree it'll probably be closer to Sean Monahan's contract.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The middle of the two is 5.75. That's a Dougie deal. But I agree it'll probably be closer to Sean Monahan's contract.

Absolutely.
Those numbers check out. As for the Reddit poster, he seems like he has some in regarding the Flames, it definitely continues discussion on our board; so may as well use the stuff he posts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad