Prospect Info: Matthew Boldy, Left Winger, 12th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Big hope that Boldy turns into a Keller/Larkin type and not a Mittelstadt/Schwartz/Kunin type. You can see how big the USHL and USDP have come; going from 0 drafted in the top 15 10 years ago to 7 drafted this year. I don't think it'll stop. Though, outside of Keller and Larkin, it's been a bit rough.

Miller and Schwartz took a few seasons to break out. Girgensons isn't looking to great. Forbort is depth defenseman. I'm expecting between Larkin and Schwartz production from Boldy, which wouldn't be that bad.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Done my due diligence on Boldy. Yes, he is more of a natural NHL fit at wing, but I am really intrigued by him at center.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Identical play styles, which is odd because it seems like a very rare style.

zellmatic

Sep 25, 2013
Minnesota
After watching the U18 Tournament video, two things really impress me about Boldy. His IQ is at a very high level already. He makes the smart play almost all the time, and is very creative with the puck. Secondly, the way he skates is fascinating. He isn't the fastest out there, but he certainly isn't slow either. However, the way he uses his edges to maneuver around and open up lanes and make room for himself is spectacular. It really is a beautiful thing to watch. He is most definitely going to be a special player.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
After watching the U18 Tournament video, two things really impress me about Boldy. His IQ is at a very high level already. He makes the smart play almost all the time, and is very creative with the puck. Secondly, the way he skates is fascinating. He isn't the fastest out there, but he certainly isn't slow either. However, the way he uses his edges to maneuver around and open up lanes and make room for himself is spectacular. It really is a beautiful thing to watch. He is most definitely going to be a special player.
I agree watching his edgework is lovely. the wide stance quick twitch left or right is great and hopefully he just keeps growing his game at BC and we get him next year.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I agree watching his edgework is lovely. the wide stance quick twitch left or right is great and hopefully he just keeps growing his game at BC and we get him next year.

If the Wild make it into the playoffs, they could possibly have him for this coming postseason.

Reactions: zellmatic

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Could Kaprizov come over at that point? I know other KHL players have, but I thought the KHL closed that loophole this last year. Maybe I'm not remembering that right, though.
This is the last year of his KHL contract. If their playoffs finish early enough, he's free to come here for the NHL playoffs if he so chooses.

Technically, if Boldy turns pro after this coming College season, he could do the same.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
This is the last year of his KHL contract. If their playoffs finish early enough, he's free to come here for the NHL playoffs if he so chooses.

Technically, if Boldy turns pro after this coming College season, he could do the same.
Think I read somewhere that Kaprizov isn’t eligible until April 30th. Could be wrong, but that means we’re likely deep in the playoffs.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
as much as we complain about not having a 1C for the future, is it possible Boldy is that and we just don't know it yet? I was reading today and there was hints that he can play the middle of the ice and some talk before was he was a C until joining the development program. hopefully BC tests him out there and he just keeps growing as a 1C.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
as much as we complain about not having a 1C for the future, is it possible Boldy is that and we just don't know it yet? I was reading today and there was hints that he can play the middle of the ice and some talk before was he was a C until joining the development program. hopefully BC tests him out there and he just keeps growing as a 1C.

With that guy's vision and hockey IQ, I definitely could see him developing into a very good center. I hope start him there and give him a large sample of games to test it out. My only concern is our experience with guys that flip-flop between winger/center (Coyle, Granlund), where it seemed like it was harder for them to find their game.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
With that guy's vision and hockey IQ, I definitely could see him developing into a very good center. I hope start him there and give him a large sample of games to test it out. My only concern is our experience with guys that flip-flop between winger/center (Coyle, Granlund), where it seemed like it was harder for them to find their game.
If they play him there at BC it wouldn't exactly be flip flopping. I don't know that I'd count on that happening, but like I said a few pages ago: it'd be a little hilarious if he ended up at C with Newhook at wing.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
If they play him there at BC it wouldn't exactly be flip flopping. I don't know that I'd count on that happening, but like I said a few pages ago: it'd be a little hilarious if he ended up at C with Newhook at wing.

My concern is more related to when he gets to the NHL. If they test him out at C for half a season at BC and he looks okay, but he looks much better as a winger. In that scenario, I would prefer if we just developed him as a winger and not mess around with trying to develop him into a center.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
My concern is more related to when he gets to the NHL. If they test him out at C for half a season at BC and he looks okay, but he looks much better as a winger. In that scenario, I would prefer if we just developed him as a winger and not mess around with trying to develop him into a center.
Just play him where he's best. Don't wreck anything trying to thread that needle.
I agree if he is best suited for wing keep him there, I just hope BC tries him at C and if he looks good then test him at C in the AHL also. id rather him be groomed into a top 6 wing over a middle 6 C but i would like to know if his skill set would allow him to become a 1C

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
Please don't go back and forth testing him at Wing then back to Center it really curtails development, decide which position he should play and stick with it.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'll let those who know better than me decide on his path and just hopes he turns out great wherever they feel he's best.

I expect that will be wing, but I'd be thrilled if he excels as a center.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Aka the Benoit Pouliot development path LOL. He looked good at center between Demitra and Gaborik, but they kept him on wing.

When was this?

It wasn't that they played him on wing, it was that JL wanted Pouliot on the team to center Gaborik and Demitra out of camp, because he looked best for the job, but DR instead wanted to send a message to Pouliot by sending him to the minors.

I think that was the beginning of the end of DR and JL's relationship.

DR tried to force Sheppard into that role, but he was so bad at it that Gaborik and Demitra refused to pass him the puck after a while, because he'd just turn it over.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
DR tried to force Sheppard into that role, but he was so bad at it that Gaborik and Demitra refused to pass him the puck after a while, because he'd just turn it over.

Sheppard COULD have been a pretty good player, but DR rushed him terribly. At least Fletcher struck gold when he got Staal, but both Fletcher and DR never could deliver a number 1 center when the Wild needed it most. Olli Jokinen? Na! Chris Simon!

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It wasn't that they played him on wing, it was that JL wanted Pouliot on the team to center Gaborik and Demitra out of camp, because he looked best for the job, but DR instead wanted to send a message to Pouliot by sending him to the minors.

I think that was the beginning of the end of DR and JL's relationship.

I'm actually probably on DR's side on that one, considering Pouliot wasn't a center and Demitra was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad