Prospect Info: Matthew Boldy, Left Winger, 12th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

P10p

May 15, 2012
I wouldn't say I'm discrediting them. I'm just saying it can be difficult to separate the drivers from the passengers and see the weaknesses when you have such a dominating group that plays together so much. It's a legit consideration.

Latest great example of this was in 2016 with Juolevi. He played in absolutely stacked London and Finnish teams, won everything that was possible to win, was ranked high and got drafted high, and then next season with the environment changing huge flaws showed up in his game, he got passed over by 4th rounders and currently he looks like a bust. The flaws were of course always there, it's just that they never showed because his teams were so good.

Players drafted where McBain was drafted have around 10% chance of becoming impact NHL players. So the ones part of that 10% will inherently be the ones massively exceeding expectations. Scoring 13 points in 35 games in the NCAA in D+1 season is certainly not part of that 10%, and generally speaking the prognosis of a prospect with those kind of numbers is... not great. Generally speaking players who exceed expectations and are part of that 10% fight through all those sort of excuses and still do well. Not saying surprises can't happen of course. But it seems a bit of a long shot as of now.

Juolevi was looking great last year in the AHL before his knee injury...?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So we think Boldy comes after next year with Kaprizov?
Turns pro, very possible, and to the NHL while doing so? Maybe, but more likely starting in the AHL.

I think 2yrs development away, 1 college, 1 AHL. Possible he does 2 yrs in college then straight to the NHL... outside chance he does 2yrs college, 1yr AHL.

JMO

Reactions: AKL

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
One scouting report I found online today (break between lacrosse games) thought that with two good seasons at BC, Boldy would be NHL ready. Sooner than I would have thought but I hope it plays out like that.

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
Turns pro, very possible, and to the NHL while doing so? Maybe, but more likely starting in the AHL.

I think 2yrs development away, 1 college, 1 AHL. Possible he does 2 yrs in college then straight to the NHL... outside chance he does 2yrs college, 1yr AHL.

JMO
I’d be surprised if he spends more then 1 year in college. MAYBE a little AHL time. Boldy and Kapizov coming after next year is exciting

Reactions: 2Pair

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
If boldy was a better skater and a tad stronger he would be playing in the NHL next year. When he adds some strength he will be ready; the strength will also help his skating. I bet he, Kaprizov, and our 20201st are all on the team in a year.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
If boldy was a better skater and a tad stronger he would be playing in the NHL next year. When he adds some strength he will be ready; the strength will also help his skating. I bet he, Kaprizov, and our 20201st are all on the team in a year.

Holy smokes. Someone is forward thinking

Reactions: TaLoN

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I wouldn't hold your breath for the 2020 1st round pick to be on this roster in 2020-21.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I wouldn't hold your breath for the 2020 1st round pick to be on this roster in 2020-21.
I just think we’ll Be that bad next year. It might be somewhat wishful thinking too, but it could be similar to when Toronto had Marner, Matthews and Nylander all debut the same year. Though I don’t expect boldy to have a 60 point rookie season

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I’d be surprised if he spends more then 1 year in college. MAYBE a little AHL time. Boldy and Kapizov coming after next year is exciting
He needs to work a bit on his skating, and get used to his rapid growth spurt... thus the 2yr development I'm estimating.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
I remember Steve kourniapous saying that he thinks boldy can be a seller caliber winger.

I’ve never heard of him playing the middle, but I think he’s a smart enough player to do it. I’d rather have him on the wing at 30+40 than down the middle and at 25+35, though
Does that mean he only lets players score when he's on the ice if they pay him a certain amount?

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
Until a month or so ago, a lot of scouts had Boldy in the #3 conversation. Pronman also said how he’s heard from a lot of scouts that think boldy is the 3rd best prospect in this draft. Should be fun to follow

I think the kid will be great 1st line, very skilled power forward type, but if some of these scouts ranked him as the 3rd best player in the draft, my question would be why the big drop to 12OA?

Last edited:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I think the kid will be great 1st liner almost a star type, but if some of these scouts ranked him as the 3rd best player in the draft, my question would be why the big drop to 12OA?
He's a wing. Podkolzin was rated much higher than 10th for most of the year as well

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
This is such a good video to watch. Lot of good things to see.
I like how they showed a whole bunch of various aspects of his game. He seems like he's got great awareness and a great stick defensively. It was a bit odd that the video didn't show many goals at all, but at the same time it's kinda nice to see what he's doing when he's not scoring.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I like how they showed a whole bunch of various aspects of his game. He seems like he's got great awareness and a great stick defensively. It was a bit odd that the video didn't show many goals at all, but at the same time it's kinda nice to see what he's doing when he's not scoring.

He only had 3 goals in the tournament, so it makes sense that they showcased more aspects of his game. Seems like he's more of a two-way playmaker from those highlights. Saw Caufield as the finisher on a few of his highlights and didn't realize that he scored 14 goals in that same tournament.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018

This is such a good video to watch. Lot of good things to see.

That’s a great video he looks so good in it. I will say that I do believe he has all the skills to be a center. He is so smart and I’ve seen his playmaking hit an elite level several times. That video is just one example of it. He has a good shot right now, but if he can improve that a little more he is going to be phenomenal. It’s quite obvious that he lacks some explosiveness, but I think that will be fixed when he adds some strength.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
He only had 3 goals in the tournament, so it makes sense that they showcased more aspects of his game. Seems like he's more of a two-way playmaker from those highlights. Saw Caufield as the finisher on a few of his highlights and didn't realize that he scored 14 goals in that same tournament.
Ah, I didn't realize that was just from the one tournament, so that makes sense.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
That’s a great video he looks so good in it. I will say that I do believe he has all the skills to be a center. He is so smart and I’ve seen his playmaking hit an elite level several times. That video is just one example of it. He has a good shot right now, but if he can improve that a little more he is going to be phenomenal. It’s quite obvious that he lacks some explosiveness, but I think that will be fixed when he adds some strength.

Stick him on the wing and draft him a good center prospect at 8-12 next summer. ('Cause we all know we aint gonna win no lottery pick)

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
His skating a good, technique is good, love the wide stance when creating plays- always a good indicator. His crossovers looked good, pretty decent speed doing so and control. Needs to work on the first few steps. His top end speed is good, not great, but strength will increase both first steps and top end. So, all in all, the skating will only improve and easily improve as he gets professional help.

His shooting is also good-very good. Not elite, but accurate. Also will get better as he practices and gains strength in his body and arms.

Add to that, his IQ is obvious and was his most highly touted characteristic. His hands keep up with his IQ and his passing is very good-elite.

At least, this is from my now heavily scouted report from the interNetz and it's data and video.

I see someone who is a lock to be an NHLer, 1-2nd line, is a stud on the PP, with a ceiling that is very high overall.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

JMO
Figured I would do a little research and maybe put some context to this debate. Going back to the 2012 draft, 13 NCAA players have been drafted in the top 15 of their draft.

1 player spent 2 years in school and then turned pro
9 players spent 1 year in school and then turned pro
3 players turned pro directly from the draft

10 of those 13 players have never played a game in the AHL
Tyson Jost has played the most AHL games out of the group. He has played a total of 13 games in the AHL

Reactions: Minnesota

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Figured I would do a little research and maybe put some context to this debate. Going back to the 2012 draft, 13 NCAA players have been drafted in the top 15 of their draft.

1 player spent 2 years in school and then turned pro
9 players spent 1 year in school and then turned pro
3 players turned pro directly from the draft

10 of those 13 players have never played a game in the AHL
Tyson Jost has played the most AHL games out of the group. He has played a total of 13 games in the AHL

Kunin has played 76 AHL games, but I think your point is a good one. Appreciate the research.

The numbers may shift a little bit more after this year with Wahlstrom and Farabee turning pro, but we'll see.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the proverbial "he'll tell us". If he goes in there and goes Dylan Larkin or Kyle Connor on the bit, then yeah, come on up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ginger Papa

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Kunin has played 76 AHL games, but I think your point is a good one. Appreciate the research.

The numbers may shift a little bit more after this year with Wahlstrom and Farabee turning pro, but we'll see.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the proverbial "he'll tell us". If he goes in there and goes Dylan Larking on the bit, then yeah, come on up.
Damn, totally skipped over Kunin. Although, I would argue that a majority of his AHL time was because of injury.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Damn, totally skipped over Kunin. Although, I would argue that a majority of his AHL time was because of injury.
Not possible since the majority of his AHL time was prior to the knee injury (48 games)

He played 28 games in the AHL this past season after coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad