Prospect Info: Matthew Boldy, Left Winger, 12th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
All Newhook has proven is that he is a better NCAA player, so far. I always liked him, and his skating is terrific, but Boldy's size is nice. All he has to do is improve his skating a bit, and i think that is very doable. Not sure about his intangibles...we'll see. If he is nothing more than a LH Kunin then we could do worse. I suspect that he will be more skilled, and have more scoring potential, but not sure that he will have Kunin's character.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
All Newhook has proven is that he is a better NCAA player, so far. I always liked him, and his skating is terrific, but Boldy's size is nice. All he has to do is improve his skating a bit, and i think that is very doable. Not sure about his intangibles...we'll see. If he is nothing more than a LH Kunin then we could do worse. I suspect that he will be more skilled, and have more scoring potential, but not sure that he will have Kunin's character.

Why do we care about character and intangibles again?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Character is the reason we took Kunin over Bellows. Lack of it is why Galchenyuk's career went south, for all of his talent. You want the 2020 version of Josh Hosh Sang? Not me. Players who persevere through difficulties (i.e. Kunin's serious knee injury), understand and fit into a team's culture, and show courage in pressure spots (i.e. Granlund's blocking multiple shots during a playoff shift) all matter. A guy like Spurgeon has these qualities in spades. He was a nothing, according to most NHL GM's. Now he is a top 20 Dman.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I can think of tons of players with less “character” than Kunin who have succeeded in the NHL because they’re better than him at hockey. “Character” is not the cause for the downfall of Galchenyuk, nor is it why Bellows isn’t a regular yet.

That’s ridiculous.

Reactions: TJL48

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So you'd be ok if Boldy was a 90pt scorer but no one liked him on the team and that meant it would be hard to keep good players around him?

Luckily we don’t have to worry about it because by all accounts he’s an excellent guy and his teammates love him. He’s had coaches praise him as a player and a person.

There also happens to be a happy medium between toxic superstar and loveable grinder.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Character is the reason we took Kunin over Bellows. Lack of it is why Galchenyuk's career went south, for all of his talent. You want the 2020 version of Josh Hosh Sang? Not me. Players who persevere through difficulties (i.e. Kunin's serious knee injury), understand and fit into a team's culture, and show courage in pressure spots (i.e. Granlund's blocking multiple shots during a playoff shift) all matter. A guy like Spurgeon has these qualities in spades. He was a nothing, according to most NHL GM's. Now he is a top 20 Dman.

No it's not.

P10p

May 15, 2012

Lemme stop you there, thats just plain wrong.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If you guys stopped reading at the first two sentences then you missed the part where Spurgeon is a top 20 defenseman due to his character with no mention of the fact that he’s a top 20 defenseman because of his actual ability to play hockey.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Way to dumb things down, guys. Guess everyone is the same to you, and character is a myth.

SMTHook

Mar 23, 2015
Character is pretty much a myth. Granted there are extreme cases of "bad" character. But as much as us elders want to wax poetic about the glory days and our hard working blue collar sports heroes, remember if social media were 50 years old those guys would have character issues also.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
I’m not sure its a myth. It’s pretty easy to identify the better teammates from the lesser ones and you don’t have to grow up with them to do it. The question is, to what degree does it matter?

P10p

May 15, 2012
I’m not sure its a myth. It’s pretty easy to identify the better teammates from the lesser ones and you don’t have to grow up with them to do it. The question is, to what degree does it matter?

Its not a case of which have low character and which have high, but rather, most of these athletes are very high character guys. While there are obviously outliers on both sides of the spectrum, I think the whole "character" thing is over blown.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Just like the character in former captains, prospect and pro, that pushed the Wild over the top?

Character is absolutely overblown, but there needs to be a balance. With the amount of 'character' they had, the Wild needed to take chances on some misfits.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Boldy's game is improving … Saw him in the prospects practice. He looked very good so I'm not worried. But, I would like to see him
in the World Junior Tournament next year. Gotta think getting cut this year was a wake up call for the kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad