Prospect Info: Matthew Boldy, Left Winger, 12th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I'm actually probably on DR's side on that one, considering Pouliot wasn't a center and Demitra was.

Demitra is listed as left winger, and if I remember correctly hated playing center. Looking at hockey reference, he didn't take any face offs until he joined Minnesota and that was in his last year.

While rare, Pouliot was a winger in the minors, but may have translated better to center in the NHL - never know. I know it's easier to translate from center to wing, but there has been examples of wings moving to centers like Mats Sundin, Messier was also a winger before moving to center.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'm actually probably on DR's side on that one, considering Pouliot wasn't a center and Demitra was.
Demitra played wing his first season here, and wasn't moved to center until halfway through the following year, because nobody else could do a quality job.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Demitra is listed as left winger, and if I remember correctly hated playing center. Looking at hockey reference, he didn't take any face offs until he joined Minnesota and that was in his last year.

While rare, Pouliot was a winger in the minors, but may have translated better to center in the NHL - never know. I know it's easier to translate from center to wing, but there has been examples of wings moving to centers like Mats Sundin, Messier was also a winger before moving to center.

It seems clear to me that hockey reference doesn't have FO stats that far back. I know for a fact (watching him play with my own eyes) that he played center in St. Louis, and I'm about 80% sure he played some center in LA. I've also found links online that refer to him specifically as a center. Demitra was a center in the NHL, he just enjoyed playing wing more. Today we'd call him a C/LW.

That said, I'm not one to ever say "DR was right" or "JL was wrong", and certainly I would never say both as part of the same statement.

Reactions: TaLoN

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Demitra played wing his first season here, and wasn't moved to center until halfway through the following year, because nobody else could do a quality job.
Fedoruk-Demo-Gabby
Rolston-Belanger-Bouchard
Parrish/SV-Koivu-Radio
Boogy/Voros - Sheppard/Voros

Schultz-Burns
Johnsson-Carney
Skoula-Nummi

Backstrom
Harding

That was a fun team.

Last edited:
Reactions: W75

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Don’t even care about the rest of the draft. We got a stud with Boldy!

You probably should. This year was an unusually good draft class. Jones, Beckman, Guskov and Firstov are impressive and have good shots at being regulars with the club someday. Even if we see 2 of 4 of them stick with the Wild the draft class would be a success.

Reactions: WILDTATE10

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
I don't get the opportunity to watch prospects as closely as some of you, so I rely on those that do to put out informed opinions on players.

Don't know what to expect out of Matthew Boldy, but reading through this thread, the consensus seems to be he is a skilled player who certainly will be able to help the Wild at some point, despite the lack of high end Center prospects in the pipeline.

On that note, I know more than a couple of Wild fans who seem somewhat disappointed by the Boldy pick, citing the Wild should have gone with Peyton Krebs (a center) instead.
One even goes so far as to highly criticize Fenton for his choice of Boldy over a Krebs or Newhook as well.

I am aware that the Wild need centers, but getting ahold of a good sized winger with a tremendous skillset doesn't seem like a bad deal.
If the Wild indeed do end up with a logjam of sorts, and the players are good, then they become very nice trade pieces in order to get what they need from elsewhere....the way I look at it anyway.

Thanks again for the info in this thread......nice to see Minnesota's 1st overall pick in 2019 get some props and love instead of more rehashed "Fenton screwed up" garbage over and over.

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
You probably should. This year was an unusually good draft class. Jones, Beckman, Guskov and Firstov are impressive and have good shots at being regulars with the club someday. Even if we see 2 of 4 of them stick with the Wild the draft class would be a success.

Yea I was just really happy at the time that we made a good pick and didn’t reach again or take Knight with all the rumors going around. Plenty intoxicated as well haha. I did like how the draft turned out. Felt like we got good to solid value on most of the picks.

Reactions: a79krgm

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
About time for a bump. He had 2 points after 14 games, and 20 points in the next 15.

Unfortunately for us, his point surge did come after BC moved him from C to W.

Anyone think be if he continues his 2nd half point pace he'll turn pro?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
About time for a bump. He had 2 points after 14 games, and 20 points in the next 15.

Sounds like he wants to.

And it almost just seems like numbers evening out, not necessarily that he's incapable producing as a center. Almost all reports I've seen was that he was 'snakebit' early in the year, not that his play has drastically improved.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

I wouldn't mind seeing him in the AHL next year...

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I’d like him in the AHL just to have another player to get excited about potentially getting NHL minutes

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Sounds like he wants to.

And it almost just seems like numbers evening out, not necessarily that he's incapable producing as a center. Almost all reports I've seen was that he was 'snakebit' early in the year, not that his play has drastically improved.

This is correct

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Sounds like he wants to.

It's certainly possible it was "snake bit" as a center, but it's pretty much a fact that he exploded scoring wise when he went from 10+ faceoffs a game to less than 3.

Hopefully, that's just a coincidence.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
It's certainly possible it was "snake bit" as a center, but it's pretty much a fact that he exploded scoring wise when he went from 10+ faceoffs a game to less than 3.

I think the first few games were just about adjusting to the new systems, pace, etc. the next string of 10 games or so could be due to the fact that he was extremely snake bitten and essentially put into a shutdown center’s role. His skill set, which lends itself to getting the puck in stride and using his brain and hands to create scoring chances, is perfect for the center of the ice. I think he has high-end 2C potential. I see him more as a 30+30 guy than a 35+35 guy like I though when we drafted him. But, I think that’s just fine if he gives it to us down the middle as I honestly think Fiala has superstar potential. Kaprizov maybe too

Goose312

May 15, 2015

He also seems to be playing pretty consistently with Newhook now, which when they were both playing center likely wasn't the case. Maybe it's chemistry between the two, or simply having someone up to his skill level to feed off each other that's sparked his production more than just what position he's playing. I believe I remember earlier this season comments on this board that Boldy's linemates weren't able to keep up, and weren't generating offense.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
He also seems to be playing pretty consistently with Newhook now, which when they were both playing center likely wasn't the case. Maybe it's chemistry between the two, or simply having someone up to his skill level to feed off each other that's sparked his production more than just what position he's playing. I believe I remember earlier this season comments on this board that Boldy's linemates weren't able to keep up, and weren't generating offense.
They weren't great, but Boldy had some definite flaws to his game. As a line they just didn't work all that well together.

I think Boldy was probably able to handle either the jump to college or the move to center, but not both at the same time. And maybe he's just a winger long term, which is fine, but I think with more strength and confidence he could be a real force up the middle.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I believe I remember earlier this season comments on this board that Boldy's linemates weren't able to keep up, and weren't generating offense.
That was the case even after he had switched to wing and started producing... it was only very recently that he's been placed on Newhook's line - and is producing even more.

Boldy was already basically a PPG player with bad linemates when playing wing.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
6 games left in the season for Boldy. What’s incredible is that gems got a decent shot at breaking 30 points. Feels like not too long ago that he was stuck at 2 points. It wasn’t that long ago.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
6 games left in the season for Boldy. What’s incredible is that gems got a decent shot at breaking 30 points. Feels like not too long ago that he was stuck at 2 points. It wasn’t that long ago.
Showing the level of play the second half that had all of us drooling that he fell to us in the draft!

5 goals, 10pts in his last 5 games.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad