Prospect Info: Matthew Boldy, Left Winger, 12th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
I think we should have drafted Caufield. Have always thought so.
Boldy reminds me of Charlie Coyle. Hopefully he has a better career.
I'm maybe not quite as high on Boldy as I am on Caufield but that's not giving Boldy enough credit. Coyle never produced anything close to what Boldy has this past year, in college or in the AHL.

P10p

May 15, 2012
I'm maybe not quite as high on Boldy as I am on Caufield but that's not giving Boldy enough credit. Coyle never produced anything close to what Boldy has this past year, in college or in the AHL.

Charlie Coyle was lightning in a bottle 2011-2012. I know its the Q but that's the league he played in prior to turning pro and he was chasing Lemieux' record for highest PPG(GPG?) in QMJHL playoffs. Quite the feat in its own right.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Boldy's a much more well rounded prospect, he has a lot of tools that Coyle never did. He's a much better prospect than Coyle was.

Reactions: TaLoN

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Charlie Coyle was lightning in a bottle 2011-2012. I know its the Q but that's the league he played in prior to turning pro and he was chasing Lemieux' record for highest PPG(GPG?) in QMJHL playoffs. Quite the feat in its own right.

Playing on a ridiculously stacked Sea Dogs team, yeah. He was tied for lead in points with Stanislav Galiyev and Phillips was right on his heels.

MISREAD

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Playing on a ridiculously stacked Sea Dogs team, yeah. He was tied for lead in points with Stanislav Galiyev and Phillips was right on his heels. Nathan MacKinnon and Jonathan Drouin were on that teams second line. It's not like he was really carrying the load there.
And Gallant was the coach. That was quite a team.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Playing on a ridiculously stacked Sea Dogs team, yeah. He was tied for lead in points with Stanislav Galiyev and Phillips was right on his heels. Nathan MacKinnon and Jonathan Drouin were on that teams second line. It's not like he was really carrying the load there.

Neither Mackinnon nor Drouin ever played for Saint Johns....?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
And Gallant was the coach. That was quite a team.

Yeah I actually misread the list I was looking at. I'm not sure why it didn't click. I watched MacKinnon with Halifax.

But Huberdeau was on that roster, Beaulieu, Jurco. It was an insane roster.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Yeah I misread the list I was looking at. I'm not sure why it didn't click. I watched MacKinnon with Halifax.

To the original point, I get it and that is fair criticism. But nonetheless, to say Coyle never performed as a prospect like Boldy is something you could easily argue imo.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
To the original point, I get it and that is fair criticism. But nonetheless, to say Coyle never performed as a prospect like Boldy is something you could easily argue imo.

From a purely statistical standpoint? His playoff run with St. John's was probably better than anything Boldy has done. That said, he left a BU team midseason where he would have been something like 5th or 6th in points scored per game behind Chiasson, Nieto and a couple other guys who never made much of themselves, and he went to a Sea Dogs team that WAS stacked as a near 20 year old with a 6'3 200lb frame. Even at the time it was clear to see he was a man against boys out there.

Boldy at the same age was a Hobey finalist with 31 points in 22 games as the leader for his BC team by a significant margin, he had a better U20, and he finished with 18 points in his first 14 AHL games, which placed him as the scoring leader again during that stretch as a rookie joining late. Coyle didn't get to the AHL until the following season where he had 25 points in 47 games, which was not that close to the scoring leaders of that team. He also scored 14 points in 37 NHL games that year though, so we'll see what Boldy can do next season.

But contextually? Coyle never really came close to the types of performances Boldy has had, outside of one playoff run on a stacked team again younger guys much smaller than him. If you don't want to hold that against him, that's fine, but it's at least worth pointing out.

Like if Boldy decided to drop out in January and go to Val-d'Or to finish out his season, 2 PPG there wouldn't have really impressed me that much.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He was stepping down in competition from college to the Q, and played with linemates in the Q that were also men amongst boys there.

If anything, the Q made Coyle think the game was too easy. He should've gone to the AHL instead of stepping backwards in competition.

P10p

May 15, 2012
From a purely statistical standpoint? His playoff run with St. John's was probably better than anything Boldy has done. That said, he left a BU team midseason where he would have been something like 5th or 6th in points scored per game behind Chiasson, Nieto and a couple other guys who never made much of themselves, and he went to a Sea Dogs team that WAS stacked as a near 20 year old with a 6'3 200lb frame. Even at the time it was clear to see he was a man against boys out there.

Boldy at the same age was a Hobey finalist with 31 points in 22 games as the leader for his BC team by a significant margin, he had a better U20, and he finished with 18 points in his first 14 AHL games, which placed him as the scoring leader again during that stretch as a rookie joining late. Coyle didn't get to the AHL until the following season where he had 25 points in 47 games, which was not that close to the scoring leaders of that team. He also scored 14 points in 37 NHL games that year though, so we'll see what Boldy can do next season.

But contextually? Coyle never really came close to the types of performances Boldy has had, outside of one playoff run on a stacked team again younger guys much smaller than him. If you don't want to hold that against him, that's fine, but it's at least worth pointing out.

Like if Boldy decided to drop out in January and go to Val-d'Or to finish out his season, 2 PPG there wouldn't have really impressed me that much.

I completely agree, that when put into context and analyzed I would give the nod to Boldy. But again, to the original point, Coyle did put up some gaudy numbers as a prospect. I would also like to add, if memory serves, Houston had way more forward depth during Coyle' stint which meant he wasn't the only one that was being given prime opportunities. When you watch Boldy in the AHL this year, it was very clear that they wanted him to have all the prime ice, deservedly so. But different circumstances nonetheless.

P10p

May 15, 2012
He was stepping down in competition from college to the Q, and played with linemates in the Q that were also men amongst boys there.

If anything, the Q made Coyle think the game was too easy. He should've gone to the AHL instead of stepping backwards in competition.

I do agree that in hindsight, the Q wasn't the best option for him. My only point was that the numbers he was putting up were ridiculous regardless. Everyone here was drooling over him after his year in the QMJHL and to say he never produced like Boldy as a prospect is a little disingenuous.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
You say that as if it's fact and not just your conjecture. I don't think it appears that way. At all. They just have a differing idea as to how to develop a player. Doesn't in any way mean they aren't 'high on him'.

Didn't Guerin mention that Boldy may start in the AHL next year?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Eh; actions speak louder than words. His words though enforce his actions.

This is true....but it's wrong to presume that Guerin isn't high on Boldy because he didn't play in the post season. It's more likely that he honestly believes this is the best route for Boldy's development. We can disagree with him on this position, but it doesn't mean he's down on him.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
This is true....but it's wrong to presume that Guerin isn't high on Boldy because he didn't play in the post season. It's more likely that he honestly believes this is the best route for Boldy's development. We can disagree with him on this position, but it doesn't mean he's down on him.

Yes and no; not just the post-season, but when Minnesota clinched, they didn't even think twice of calling him up, even for practice. It's also really, really odd that Guerin burned a year off his ELC without getting any sort of value from Boldy at all.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I do agree that in hindsight, the Q wasn't the best option for him. My only point was that the numbers he was putting up were ridiculous regardless. Everyone here was drooling over him after his year in the QMJHL and to say he never produced like Boldy as a prospect is a little disingenuous.
I was saying then, exactly what I'm saying now though. I looked at his college numbers, looked at his numbers in the Q, I was unimpressed.

Boldy on the other hand, was dominant in college in ways Coyle could only dream of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad