Prospect Info: Matthew Boldy, Left Winger, 12th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
If you think Boldy is closer to Kessel than Coyle, idk what to tell ya man lol

If somebody asked for the worst possible comparable to Matt Boldy, Phil Kessel might be the correct answer.

maybe i was talking about amanda :popcorn:

in all honesty i threw his name in to just point out how ridiculous of a comparison coyle to boldy is when boldy is much more offensively gifted. It wasnt a direct comparison except in terms of ability to score goals. as noted by the "much better skater and better defensively" note

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
maybe i was talking about amanda :popcorn:

in all honesty i threw his name in to just point out how ridiculous of a comparison coyle to boldy is when boldy is much more offensively gifted. It wasnt a direct comparison except in terms of ability to score goals. as noted by the "much better skater and better defensively" note
Saying that Boldy is a much better skater than Kessel, is just making it worse

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Boldy is like the anit-Coyle. Boldy does all the little things right and has a bit of an awkward stride. Coyle looks like a 1C aesthetically but at the end of the day he always leaves you disappointed. The only thing they have in common is that they both appear to be very versatile. I think Boldy ends up somewhere between a Pavelski and a Jaden Schwartz when it is all said and done.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
I think Boldy's career production will be closer to Kessel than to Coyle if I were placing bets right now, hopefully much closer to Kessel.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Pump the brakes my guys.

Boldy has yet to do...anything.

I also hope Boldy will be better than Coyle, and he seems to have more skill at the same age, so if he can put it together he should be more effective.

But stop with this Kessel, Pavelski talk. Those guys have been elite and or border line elite for much of their careers. Boldy hasn't played a game yet.

If the kid ends up a 25-30 - 55 point winger, I will be damn happy.

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
Pump the brakes my guys.

I also hope Boldy will be better than Coyle, and he seems to have more skill at the same age, so if he can put it together he should be more effective.

But stop with this Kessel, Pavelski talk. Those guys have been elite and or border line elite for much of their careers. Boldy hasn't played a game yet.

Well that makes one of us I guess. Like I'd be Okey with that, but it'd take about 10 more points a season for me to really be happy.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Pump the brakes my guys.

If he has Fiala or Kap on the other wing then I expect more than that. Not right away, but I expect him to be killing it in 23-24.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Pump the brakes my guys.

If he becomes a 55 point winger, I’ll be kinda sad.

Reactions: GuerinUp

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Well that makes one of us I guess. Like I'd be Okey with that, but it'd take about 10 more points a season for me to really be happy.
If he becomes a 55 point winger, I’ll be kinda sad.
If he has Fiala or Kap on the other wing then I expect more than that. Not right away, but I expect him to be killing it in 23-24.
I understand my friends. I just don't count on anyone making it big. I consider that type of production 'big' for any player. Now, if he can end up being a 30-40 70 point guy, that's totally huge. But it's also rare compared to the hundreds of players who are of NHL talent, but don't make it past 40 points a season.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
So, he's been out for over 5 weeks with an injury that had a 4-6 week estimated recovery time. We know he is skating already. Does he play a couple/few games down in Iowa over the next couple of weeks, maybe getting some TOI with Rossi as his C? The way the team is going, I don't see the need to rush him unless his play is screaming that he is too good for the AHL.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
So, he's been out for over 5 weeks with an injury that had a 4-6 week estimated recovery time. We know he is skating already. Does he play a couple/few games down in Iowa over the next couple of weeks, maybe getting some TOI with Rossi as his C? The way the team is going, I don't see the need to rush him unless his play is screaming that he is too good for the AHL.

I think he gets AHL time until he gets in game shape then gets called up and put on a line with Greenway/Hartman or Sturm/Duhaime. He just needs to be is as good/better than Rask/Pitlick (not a high bar). I thought he was at the stage of development where he needs to get some NHL games under his belt before the injury.

Ankle injury recovery is tricky. He might not be back to 100% until the start of next season.

P10p

May 15, 2012
I think he gets AHL time for the foreseeable future. Its not like he blew the doors off in camp and the ankle injury would be even more justification to keep him in Iowa. Add to that the potential to develop some chemistry with Rossi and, to a lesser extend, Addison and you have a clear path forward imo.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think he gets AHL time for the foreseeable future. Its not like he blew the doors off in camp and the ankle injury would be even more justification to keep him in Iowa. Add to that the potential to develop some chemistry with Rossi and, to a lesser extend, Addison and you have a clear path forward imo.

I disagree, he was by far the best prospect MN had in camp. The physical NHL game was there, it was his confidence that wasn't. He started off each game very tentative/passive then got stronger as the game went on and he found his comfort level.

I think he needs the NHL games much more than the AHL games. When he's physically ready he should get a 5-10 game callup, and then re-evaluate where he should be after that. Let him experience the speed of the NHL game. Show him the flaws in his game so they can be fixed in the AHL if he's sent back down.

I think he's past the point of rushing him as a prospect. I do think keeping him in the lower levels just to keep him there could stunt his growth. This is all being said with the caveat that he is 100% (or very close) recovered. If he's only going to be 80-90% then the AHL is the correct place for him.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Beckman from Dewar and Addison PPG. Cross ice saucer from Dewar- one timer from Beckman. very impressive how Beckman adjusts to the puck and still gets his shot off. Beckman already has an assist.

Now Rossi scores! Good work by Chaffee on that one.

Iowa outshoots just about all their opponents, and look very fast. If Boldy plays for them they will be a terrific AHL team.

P10p

May 15, 2012
I disagree, he was by far the best prospect MN had in camp. The physical NHL game was there, it was his confidence that wasn't. He started off each game very tentative/passive then got stronger as the game went on and he found his comfort level.

I think he needs the NHL games much more than the AHL games. When he's physically ready he should get a 5-10 game callup, and then re-evaluate where he should be after that. Let him experience the speed of the NHL game. Show him the flaws in his game so they can be fixed in the AHL if he's sent back down.

I think he's past the point of rushing him as a prospect. I do think keeping him in the lower levels just to keep him there could stunt his growth. This is all being said with the caveat that he is 100% (or very close) recovered. If he's only going to be 80-90% then the AHL is the correct place for him.

Boldy did nothing in preseason to warrant a spot. This was becoming a story of training camp as neither Rossi nor Boldy showed as well as many thought they may. I was mildly disappointed that Boldy showed so poorly but Rossi I anticipated. I still hoped that Boldy would get a spot as I do think he is NHL ready after watching him last year in Iowa. Nonetheless, he didn't help his case in training camp and this injury could set him back a bit to where Iowa may be a good place for him until he forces management's hand.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Beckman from Dewar and Addison PPG. Cross ice saucer from Dewar- one timer from Beckman. very impressive how Beckman adjusts to the puck and still gets his shot off. Beckman already has an assist.

Now Rossi scores! Good work by Chaffee on that one.

Iowa outshoots just about all their opponents, and look very fast. If Boldy plays for them they will be a terrific AHL team.

Rossi ripped that thing past Ingram, showing his shot more and more every game.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Boldy did nothing in preseason to warrant a spot. This was becoming a story of training camp as neither Rossi nor Boldy showed as well as many thought they may. I was mildly disappointed that Boldy showed so poorly but Rossi I anticipated. I still hoped that Boldy would get a spot as I do think he is NHL ready after watching him last year in Iowa. Nonetheless, he didn't help his case in training camp and this injury could set him back a bit to where Iowa may be a good place for him until he forces management's hand.

If you're stat watching Boldy didn't do well. His on-ice was defensive (not make mistakes) at the start of the games, but strong everywhere by the end of games. I'd take him in the roster over Pitlick, Bjugstad, and Rask (his roster competition) from the preseason showings.

P10p

May 15, 2012
If you're stat watching Boldy didn't do well. His on-ice was defensive (not make mistakes) at the start of the games, but strong everywhere by the end of games. I'd take him in the roster over Pitlick, Bjugstad, and Rask (his roster competition) from the preseason showings.

Boldy wasn't strong in preseason no matter how you chop it. There were a couple flashes for sure, but to say he was good is disingenuous imo. I want him to succeed and I do hope he makes the NHL and looks great coming right off this injury but as I said earlier, I doubt it for the reasons I stated. He didn't look great in preseason and he is coming off of a lengthy absence.

I would take the Boldy I've watched the last couple of years over those players for sure, the Boldy I saw in camp? Maybe, but maybe not.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Boldy in the NHL games was playing it really simple. Looked like he was afraid to make a mistake. Wasn't willing to hold onto or carry the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad