Prospect Info: Matthew Boldy, Left Winger, 12th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He was stepping down in competition from college to the Q, and played with linemates in the Q that were also men amongst boys there.

If anything, the Q made Coyle think the game was too easy. He should've gone to the AHL instead of stepping backwards in competition.

I do agree that in hindsight, the Q wasn't the best option for him. My only point was that the numbers he was putting up were ridiculous regardless. Everyone here was drooling over him after his year in the QMJHL and to say he never produced like Boldy as a prospect is a little disingenuous.

I was saying then, exactly what I'm saying now though. I looked at his college numbers, looked at his numbers in the Q, I was unimpressed.

Boldy on the other hand, was dominant in college in ways Coyle could only dream of.
Here you go, my thoughts from his time in the Q...

Player Discussion - Charlie Coyle
Keep in mind he was not scoring in the NCAA's like he is now... In Juniors he's a man amongst boys. Not really a test of his ability. Playing against older players may well end up being culture shock for him now. I think the AHL will be a nice way to ease him into better competition without destroying his confidence.
Also, looking at the posts even before mine in that thread, yes... some were drooling as you say, but I'd day most were taking it with a grain of salt due to the step down in competition and the fact that he was playing on a stacked team.

Overall, a very different outlook with Boldy IMO. Boldy played a dominant game against better competition.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Yes, lets rehash this all over again.

Go read previous posts describing the very thing you're questioning. Again.
Let me explain it to you.

Making a player earn his ice-time is a perfectly logical plan. Refusing to give a kid ice-time when he has in fact earned it, would be counterproductive to said plan. Talking out of both sides of his mouth makes a GM look ignorant and unprepared, and causes others to question his decision making.

Reactions: Nino Noderreiter

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Let me explain it to you.

Making a player earn his ice-time is a perfectly logical plan. Refusing to give a kid ice-time when he has in fact earned it, would be counterproductive to said plan. Talking out of both sides of his mouth makes a GM look ignorant and unprepared, and causes others to question his decision making.

Wow. Glad you could put it into simple words that even I could understand. You truly are an Angel.

Reactions: Nino Noderreiter

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Here you go, my thoughts from his time in the Q...

Player Discussion - Charlie Coyle

Also, looking at the posts even before mine in that thread, yes... some were drooling as you say, but I'd day most were taking it with a grain of salt due to the step down in competition and the fact that he was playing on a stacked team.

Overall, a very different outlook with Boldy IMO. Boldy played a dominant game against better competition.
Keep in mind that the AHL was not as good of a league last year. Some of the best players were sitting on taxi squads, others went to other leagues in Europe because they were unsure if there would be a season, and there were a lot of underage players that normally wouldn't. Bottom line is that this past years AHL stats need to be taken with a grain of salt, if not two.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Coyle is not remotely in the same class as Boldy.

Not in pre-draft ranking, draft stock, world juniors, college effectiveness, or AHL success.

Coyle went down a league to play in the Q to pad his stats and get PP time.

Boldy became the top PP threat on an AHL time after 1 or 2 games.

Reactions: fentonsbrainchild

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Coyle is not remotely in the same class as Boldy.

Not in pre-draft ranking, draft stock, world juniors, college effectiveness, or AHL success.

Coyle went down a league to play in the Q to pad his stats and get PP time.

Boldy became the top PP threat on an AHL time after 1 or 2 games.

Coyle was the rookie of the year at Boston University, and was considered a blue chip prospect after the first year. Coyle was and is a different player than Boldy, so it's hard to compare the two.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
similar height / weight & both power forwards so to speak. bigger ? is can boldy live upto caufield's production.

boldy is more of a sniper than a power forward. Hes a way better scorer than coyle. id compare him more to kessel than coyle

obviously better defensively and skating than kessel

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
If you think Boldy is closer to Kessel than Coyle, idk what to tell ya man lol

Boldy has never seen as a power forward; Coyle has. Boldy has always been seen as skilled player that isn't too shabby at defense. Coyle was seen as a heavy type of guy and I saw him as a Dustin Brown guy that threw around his weight on the ice (and he did when he was much younger) and was just a pain to play against. I hear Coyle and I think a physical beast of a player. I hear Boldy and I think of finesse and point producer.

Reactions: 57special

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Keep in mind that the AHL was not as good of a league last year. Some of the best players were sitting on taxi squads, others went to other leagues in Europe because they were unsure if there would be a season, and there were a lot of underage players that normally wouldn't. Bottom line is that this past years AHL stats need to be taken with a grain of salt, if not two.
I didn't mention anything about Boldy's time in the AHL, only his time in College which is absolutely comparable.
bleh why are we talking about coyle vs boldy? two totally different types of players.
Because someone claimed they saw Boldy becoming a player pretty much like Charlie Coyle... which I think most here disagree with, they see much more potential in Boldy than that, and always have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad