Prospect Info: Matthew Boldy, Left Winger, 12th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
It was in response to mine where I said "all I've heard".

Regardless, got the response I was looking for. :laugh:
In Defense if that poster, there a lot of shitting on GMBG.
I try not to pay attention to it because:

1) Nobody know what happens behind the scenes
2) there’s no magic formula for winning the cup
3) I’ve learned not to get to invested in things I cannot control

edited for spelling mistakes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rask Decisions

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

1) Nobody know what tore in behind the scenes--I can't read this, two many speling mistooks.
2) there’s no magic formula for winning the cup--Yes there is. We just don't have it.
3) I’ve learned not to get to invested in things I cannot control--Whatever...

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
We see enough service manipulation in the MLB. Always seems to backfire. Burn a year oh well. Make him feel important, no issue with signing him. Hopefully we can make some cap moves and call him up. I’d rather see him on the wing than some guys we use.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Very excited for his future, I think he will be a phenomenal player in the years to come. I think he will continue to take some big development strides too in the next couple of years with pro level skating training, the hands are already there and his IQ is off the charts.

PariseSuterKoivu

Jul 9, 2012
Big kid with a strong body. BC did a nice job developing Boldy, making him stronger and allowing him to develop as an all around 2 way winger.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

1) Nobody know what happens behind the scenes
2) there’s no magic formula for winning the cup
3) I’ve learned not to get to invested in things I cannot control

edited for spelling mistakes.

#3 is underrated and underutilized life advice. Good post.

Reactions: Wild11MN

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The stoic in me agrees, but recognizes that "investing yourself in something you have no control over" is a pretty good one-line summary of sports fandom.

So true....and some people forget "fan" is short for "fanatic".

Reactions: Bazeek

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Indeed it is, my friend. One of those "do as I say, and not as I do" things.

Eh. I used to be a diehard fan. I still enjoy watching games, for the most part, but tend to not get too invested how the team does one way or the other. They could ship the team to Siberia and my reaction would be "Oh, that sucks" and I would move on with my life.

Reactions: BagHead

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Thank Zod that Guerin protected Matt Boldy from certain playoff injury. I mean just look at how Caufield has been decimated and exposed. I was done with Guerin right there.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't think it's totally unfair to look at what Caufield is doing and wonder if it could've been the difference in a series that went 7 games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Digitalbooya

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
I don't think it's totally unfair to look at what Caufield is doing and wonder if it could've been the difference in a series that went 7 games.
The other side of that question is whether we think Boldy is as good as Caufield. Very different players with different roles so tough to make a direct comparison but idk if I put Boldy on that level.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The other side of that question is whether we think Boldy is as good as Caufield. Very different players with different roles so tough to make a direct comparison but idk if I put Boldy on that level.
(Half-)Watching these Montreal/Vegas games I haven't really seen anything that puts Caufield on a different level. I do think Caufield fits that team very well though: the Habs puck control and passing has been great, so Caufield mostly just has to keep up and get his shot on net. And for a guy that's gotten knocked for his size he hasn't looked like he's struggled much against the big bad Knights.

I think if you put Caufield on the Wild against Vegas you probably would've gotten uglier results. The games were much chippier and tighter, and I don't think Caufield alone is going to open up much space.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
There are a lot of things that could have swayed that series. The simplest ideas:

Rask is not on the ice when he hit the iron in the middle of the 3rd with the score tied. Instead, it was Hartman who was playing 1C because Boldy was playing winger on the Fiala line, so Hartman was playing Center. Hartman buried the puck, and the Wild went up 3-2.
Following that, Brodin was not injured and the Wild won 3-2 behind better defense.

It takes VERY VERY little to upend a 7 game series.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Our problem in the playoffs is that Brodin and Soucy went down, and we had mediocre C's, with apologies to JEE/Sturm. Boldy probably could've played and been fine, but there would've been an adjustment period to the speed and strength of Vegas, nvm his own team. I saw him go through it in the AHL. IMO, he got much better later in the season there...part of it was the league, but a large part is simply figuring out your team mates. He is a high IQ player, so more the more time he has to figure things out, the better he gets.

Last edited by a moderator:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Our problem in the playoffs is that Brodin and Soucy went down, and we had mediocre C's, with apologies to JEE/Sturm.

Losing Brodin didn't help, but losing three straight in a row with a -9 goal ratio isn't necessarily just because Soucy went down. This team was outscored 13 to 20 in the series and Vegas didn't even have Patches for the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->