Prospect Info: Matthew Beniers (Round 1, 2 overall)

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Well, that's actually most articles these days cause that's the only way journalists can keep on doing their jobs.

It's not great but I actually think the Athletic is absolutely worth the subscription. ;)
Yeah. It is unfortunate but that is just the truth. I know folks who work in the media and the dwindling newspaper subscriptions have closed quite a few newspapers. Twitter is a good free resource for us to get news but if you want to get stories, the paid route may be the only option in some cases.

I am never going to tell people where to spend their money but like you I agree that the Athletic is worth it. That plus they often do promotions where you can get 6 months for a $1/month too.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Yeah. It is unfortunate but that is just the truth. I know folks who work in the media and the dwindling newspaper subscriptions have closed quite a few newspapers. Twitter is a good free resource for us to get news but if you want to get stories, the paid route may be the only option in some cases.

I am never going to tell people where to spend their money but like you I agree that the Athletic is worth it. That plus they often do promotions where you can get 6 months for a $1/month too.

I currently have a subscription of $24 for 12 months.
Though, it ends at the end of May.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I don't buy that for a second. If it were true, Arizona would have gotten Matthews.

and don't tell me the league wanted Toronto to have him, T-dot as a hockey town succeeds no matter who plays there. league was all in on making Arizona survive at the time for national tv coverage issues.

Besides, if the league were to fix it, they have more interest in Seattle thriving than in helping Montreal where, like Toronto, hockey will thrive no matter what.
Superstars in Arizona would be wasted. That is a small market that was another one of Bettman's mistakes.

Edmonton losing the Oilers would have been a huge black-eye for Bettman after Canada lost both Quebec and Winnipeg on his watch. (rumor was they might come to Seattle)

Edmonton is a major hockey market, despite the city being relatively small when compared to a city like Phoenix. (Glendale).

I am not saying the lottery is rigged regularly, or even ever, but for close to 20 years, the results were super predictable.

And why in the hell would you not televise the draw unless there is something they don't want people to see. It is great television. But like The Marquis said, that last (and only) televised draw was super suspect.

And I agree, they would never worry about Montreal needing to win the lottery, that is why I said it will likely be Chicago that wins the draw if it is truly rigged when the next superstar is available.

Reactions: The Marquis

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
And I agree, they would never worry about Montreal needing to win the lottery, that is why I said it will likely be Chicago that wins the draw if it is truly rigged when the next superstar is available.
Hey, don't forget Detroit. It is a major hockey market, one of the original six.

As for the signing, now I have a reason to watch games.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Hey, don't forget Detroit. It is a major hockey market, one of the original six.

Detroit fans are better fans than Chicago fans. Detroit can lose for a decade and still sell out.

If the Blackhawks are irrelevant for 2 years, there are tons of empty seats.

So, it is actually you and the other Redwing's fans that are to blame for not getting premier talent.

If you'd only be a little more fickle and fairweather, putting the team's future in the city in jeopardy, and I am sure you'd have draft luck like the penguins.... :nod:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Detroit fans are better fans than Chicago fans. Detroit can lose for a decade and still sell out.

If the Blackhawks are irrelevant for 2 years, there are tons of empty seats.

So, it is actually you and the other Redwing's fans that are to blame for not getting premier talent.

If you'd only be a little more fickle and fairweather, putting the team's future in the city in jeopardy, and I am sure you'd have draft luck like the penguins.... :nod:

Not to change the subject, but it's amazing that the Lions have any fans left. Michigan fans are loyal to the point of stupidity I guess.

I quit watching football because of the Lions, my childhood team was the Redskins, and I can't stand Snyder so I really didn't have any reason to watch.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Superstars in Arizona would be wasted. That is a small market that was another one of Bettman's mistakes.

Edmonton losing the Oilers would have been a huge black-eye for Bettman after Canada lost both Quebec and Winnipeg on his watch. (rumor was they might come to Seattle)

Edmonton is a major hockey market, despite the city being relatively small when compared to a city like Phoenix. (Glendale).

I am not saying the lottery is rigged regularly, or even ever, but for close to 20 years, the results were super predictable.

And why in the hell would you not televise the draw unless there is something they don't want people to see. It is great television. But like The Marquis said, that last (and only) televised draw was super suspect.

Edmonton was never in danger of losing their hockey team and didn't need McDavid to survive. That is utter nonsense.
Arizona on the other hand could have benefited greatly from an (almost) local boy hero. So I don't buy it for a second.
Rags winning it was a bit dodgy, they certainly didn't need that boost but luck happens good and bad.
Besides, lotteries don't always work and scouting can be wrong. Just ask Philly. They lucked into 2nd overall and took can't miss star Nolan Patrick rather than some stiff named Cale Makar who went 2 picks later.
Bottom line, whatever we get, it'll be a very high pick with decent odds of that guy being a good player, but there will be no guarantee. Never is.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Edmonton was never in danger of losing their hockey team and didn't need McDavid to survive. That is utter nonsense.

I never said that draft was rigged, and I did not say Edmonton needed McDavid to survive. I just posted the facts

Katz was meeting with Seattle and looking for a city to relocate the club to.

Edmonton's value was struggling relative to other teams in the league

Bettman entered the negotiations with the city of Edmonton.

The arena deal got done, and Edmonton wins the lottery.

To believe that McDavid wasn't a huge boon to a market that the NHL really was looking to boost wasn't fortuitous and good for the NHLs interest is a narrative that is posted on these boards a lot that ignores the reality of that situation almost 10 years ago.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Detroit has dropped more than anyone else during previous draft lotteries.

I mean they're basically the reason why the league changed the rules so only the top 2 picks are being drawn in that lottery, which also means you can only drop two spots.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Detroit has dropped more than anyone else during previous draft lotteries.

I mean they're basically the reason why the league changed the rules so only the top 2 picks are being drawn in that lottery, which also means you can only drop two spots.

I still don't think we'll get wright no matter where we finish at. People do need to understand that the odds are always the best that you drop a spot than to remain or move up. So the idea that we should just lose for wright is stupid cause you are not guaranteed to win the lottery and get 1OA. We should encourage that the team at least finishes the season strong then just wanting to lose just for the sake of losing.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I still don't think we'll get wright no matter where we finish at. People do need to understand that the odds are always the best that you drop a spot than to remain or move up. So the idea that we should just lose for wright is stupid cause you are not guaranteed to win the lottery and get 1OA. We should encourage that the team at least finishes the season strong then just wanting to lose just for the sake of losing.

I'm pretty sure everyone knows that winning the lottery is just that, winning a lottery.
It's just the odds that are better and if we'd finish at the current spot we'd guarantee us a top five spot.

And that's exactly what people are looking for, a hopefully top five pick for a season that didn't give us too much excitement besides the start of it(and it being new) and now watching our first kid and draft pick playing for the team.

BTW: I always hope we don't drop more than one spot and I certainly don't expect us to win the lottery.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Odds are greater that we'll drop a spot or two than outright winning it.
For me personally, it is not about winning the lottery. The concern is staying in the top tiers of talent. (I think there are three forwards and two defenders that likely don't make it past 6)

You are correct, that if they don't finish last, the odds of dropping two slots is very high.

With that in mind, finishing third guarantees a top 5 pick. Finishing 5th likely means you pick 7th, which probably means you are picking one of the next five or six players that are all lumped into a lower tier.

Also, don't dismiss the odds being changed back to what they used to be for the last place team. That is a pretty huge change.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
For me personally, it is not about winning the lottery. The concern is staying in the top tiers of talent. (I think there are three forwards and two defenders that likely don't make it past 6)

You are correct, that if they don't finish last, the odds of dropping two slots is very high.

With that in mind, finishing third guarantees a top 5 pick. Finishing 5th likely means you pick 7th, which probably means you are picking one of the next five or six players that are all lumped into a lower tier.

Also, don't dismiss the odds being changed back to what they used to be for the last place team. That is a pretty huge change.

Even if the team finishes last. You still have a 75% chance of dropping.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Not sure if you missed the point. You tend to hyperfocus on small details of most posts while completely ignoring the context of the messages,

The point is, you do NOT want to drop out of the top tier.

In the old system, If you finish last, you had about the same odds of picking 4th as you have of picking 2nd in the current system. That is a big change.

Reactions: JelloPuddyPops

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Why would you not want better odds? Strange argument.

better odds will help to an certain extent but it still doesn't take account to how unpredictable the lottery is. Based on past history we should have dropped at least 1 spot last year. We didn't we moved up 1 spot. People whole think we should just lose and lose need to understand chances are unlikely we'll land 1OA. Doesn't mean we won't land it but its the attutide that loosing is acceptable. its not losing should never be acceptable behavior for fans.

Fans need to stop with the whole "tank" attitude. Its annoying and it annoys other fans.

Fire the coach, fire the GM, get rid of this guy get rid of that guy, screw the refs etc. All that on and on and on annoys people. i stopped paying attention to yesterdays game once the finger pointing at the refs happened again.

A few simple rules. 1) enjoy the game 2) do not ruin the enjoyment of the game for others. 3) if 1) isn't possible then turn it off and do something else instead of being up in arms over a call you don't agree with and have no control over and ruin the enjoyment of others.

I have learned over the years to follow these simple rules. I used to harp and swear at the refs and the team all the time while watching on tv. I don't do that anymore at least that vocally. I just turn it off and do something else.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
better odds will help to an certain extent but it still doesn't take account to how unpredictable the lottery is. Based on past history we should have dropped at least 1 spot last year. We didn't we moved up 1 spot. People whole think we should just lose and lose need to understand chances are unlikely we'll land 1OA. Doesn't mean we won't land it but its the attutide that loosing is acceptable. its not losing should never be acceptable behavior for fans.

Fans need to stop with the whole "tank" attitude. Its annoying and it annoys other fans.

Fire the coach, fire the GM, get rid of this guy get rid of that guy, screw the refs etc. All that on and on and on annoys people. i stopped paying attention to yesterdays game once the finger pointing at the refs happened again.

A few simple rules. 1) enjoy the game 2) do not ruin the enjoyment of the game for others. 3) if 1) isn't possible then turn it off and do something else instead of being up in arms over a call you don't agree with and have no control over and ruin the enjoyment of others.

I have learned over the years to follow these simple rules. I used to harp and swear at the refs and the team all the time while watching on tv. I don't do that anymore at least that vocally. I just turn it off and do something else.
The season is lost.

Forgive us for getting excited about the potential of drafting a great prospect in the draft.

Draft position IS the huge silver lining of a bad season.

And if you keep quoting lottery percentages without understanding that draft tiers are more important than actual lottery positioning, you are completely missing the point of most of us here on the board.

I will give you some context you might understand: Slipping out of the upper tier this year would be like drafting Matthew Coronato or Brennan Othmann instead of Matty Beniers last year. Is that no big deal in your opinion?

Last edited:
Reactions: JelloPuddyPops

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
The season is lost.

Forgive us for getting excited about the potential of drafting a great prospect in the draft.

Draft position IS the huge silver lining of a bad season.

And if you keep quoting lottery percentages without understanding that draft tiers are more important than actual lottery positioning, you are completely missing the point of most of us here on the board.

I will give you some context you might understand: Slipping out of the upper tier this year would be like drafting Matthew Coronato or Brennan Othmann instead of Matty Beniers last year. Is that no big deal in your opinion?

Sure as hell better than relegation.

I do want the Kraken to win, and that have been lately at a higher rate than earlier in the season, but forward thinking doesn’t want the teams around them to be losing. That’s really more where I sit. I’d love it if Arizona, Seattle, Montreal, New Jersey and Philadelphia went and won nearly every game the rest of the season. I just don’t want Seattle to do it if the rest are going to suck, because the likelihood of us improving in the longer term starts to go down. So when I’m talking about “the tank”. I’m talking about the Kraken winning and losing in relation to those near them in the standings, not straight up deliberately losing. I have absolute confidence the Kraken won’t over perform my expectations, but I really want them to have a top 5 pick and there’s only one way that happens.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

I'm not pro-tank, just stating math, lol. Better odds are better odds, better draft position is better draft position.

The team shouldn't lose just to lose, they should put together one good line with Matty so that his line wins. Give him some favorable matchups, make sure his shifts are successful. The rest of the team is meaningless at this point in the season. Plus that'll give something for the fans to watch.

One season with a bad coach won't hurt Matty's career, but if Hakstol doesn't improve next season he needs to go. That has nothing to do with the draft, it's because he sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad