Prospect Info: Matthew Beniers (Round 1, 2 overall)

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
It’s all bullshit anyway and the light weight ball will belong to Montreal this time around.

what makes you think Montreal will get 1OA yet alone 2OA? it could be team 11 that gets 1OA and team 12 in the lottery that gets 2OA as far as we know.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
It's my favorite conspiracy theory ever, and for all I know, I might be the only person to have ever perpetuated it. It's hilarious though. Dude drops one ball... and it's the one that is drawn.
nevermind that. What made it funny was leafs ball hitting post twice.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
It’s all bullshit anyway and the light weight ball will belong to Montreal this time around.
My money is on the Blackhawks being the recipients of the fix. The NHL needs Chicago relevant, but with the 1OA not being generational this year, i could see them not tampering.... :laugh:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

I'm not sure what you're talking about here.

The league and Gary have told us numerous times that...
giphy.gif

And they wouldn't lie to us, right? :sarcasm:

Anyways, I'm actually not that worried about Wright and the #1 pick as we're not going to finish last and I rather go into draft lotteries hoping we don't drop more than one spot.

Just gotta hope that Ron and his scouts are making the right decision with that first round pick and don't end up with another Haydn Fleury selection.

Reactions: Irie

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Lottery fixed? So you're saying the league WANTED McDavid up in frozen Edmonton? Sorry, I don't think so.
You have to remember, Betman had worked with Katz to sway the Edmonton city council to build the new barn.

The council finally approves the arena, they start building it, and the Oilers win the McDavid sweepstakes.

With everything that went in to that deal, and the new building coming, McDavid landing in Edmonton was actually much better for the NHL than people realize.

Now I'm not saying it's rigged, but for years they have done it behind closed doors, and the big names go to the teams that will benefit the league at the that time more often than not, so from an optics point of view, it does always seem a bit dodgy.

And then the one year they actually televised it.... the entire thing did not look natural :laugh:

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
You have to remember, Betman had worked with Katz to sway the Edmonton city council to build the new barn.

The council finally approves the arena, they start building it, and the Oilers win the McDavid sweepstakes.

With everything that went in to that deal, and the new building coming, McDavid landing in Edmonton was actually much better for the NHL than people realize.

Now I'm not saying it's rigged, but for years they have done it behind closed doors, and the big names go to the teams that will benefit the league at the that time more often than not, so from an optics point of view, it does always seem a bit dodgy.

And then the one year they actually televised it.... the entire thing did not look natural :laugh:

Dealers be dealin’.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Probably goes something like "Do you like money"? Ok. Sign here and we'll pay you lots to keep doing the thing that got you into college in the first place.
The article was actually a lot about Beniers' family and the role that they played in his decision. And how Francis meeting the family over dinner helped making the decision easier.

Never going to tell people to pay for things but shooting an article or source down because they want to get paid for their work seems unfair to me. 🤷

Reactions: JelloPuddyPops

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
I don't think that is a great idea putting that much pressure on him. That being said, the team has been playing McCann on the 4th line so do we really have true 1-4 lines right now? Also, is he really a better option that Gourde, Wennberg or McCann right now?

Easing him to the speed and physicality of the NHL is a better way to introduce him to the pros.

With this sunk season I would at least try for a game or two. Gives the fans something to get excited about (drastically needed) and gives GMRF a measuring stick.

DaGreatOne

Dec 14, 2021
SeaTown
The article was actually a lot about Beniers' family and the role that they played in his decision. And how Francis meeting the family over dinner helped making the decision easier.

Never going to tell people to pay for things but shooting an article or source down because they want to get paid for their work seems unfair to me. 🤷
Just becomes tiresome when people post a link to an article nobody can read without paying for it.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021

I don't buy that for a second. If it were true, Arizona would have gotten Matthews.

and don't tell me the league wanted Toronto to have him, T-dot as a hockey town succeeds no matter who plays there. league was all in on making Arizona survive at the time for national tv coverage issues.

Besides, if the league were to fix it, they have more interest in Seattle thriving than in helping Montreal where, like Toronto, hockey will thrive no matter what.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Just becomes tiresome when people post a link to an article nobody can read without paying for it.

Well, that's actually most articles these days cause that's the only way journalists can keep on doing their jobs.

It's not great but I actually think the Athletic is absolutely worth the subscription. ;)

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I've heard that studies show that you're more likely to encounter truth behind a paywall... which is COMPLETELY BONKERS! What has the world become?

Of course the information on that study was probably not behind a paywall. Hahahaha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad