Prospect Info: Matthew Beniers (Round 1, 2 overall)

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
The Berniers hype feels similar for me to when the Canucks got Trevor Linden with the 2OV pick in 1988. A new hope for the franchise, a good 2-way forward who can score. I recall going to Canucks' training camp in 1988 in Parksville, BC and seeing the team and the giddiness for Linden. Then last week I took one of my kids to the Kraken open practice and felt similar giddiness to the Beniers arrival and play. Bonus that my kid got a puck that he shot out of play on a drill he was working on with Donato.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Makes me less worried about where the Kraken pick in the top 5 this season. Beniers has legit 1C potential.
I do see that potential but really see him as a solid 2C, ironically very similar to what Ron Francis was with the Penguins. That of course is predicated on a true 1C that if acquired (free agent, draft or trade) would bode well for the Kraken.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I do see that potential but really see him as a solid 2C, ironically very similar to what Ron Francis was with the Penguins. That of course is predicated on a true 1C that if acquired (free agent, draft or trade) would bode well for the Kraken.
Francis was a 1C quality even with the penguin 1b maybe, but still could lead the whole team if needed. Beniers will probably do the same - however, I think Beniers brings a physicality that didn't exist in Francis's game.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
And that should be obvious. I'd watch out for Shane Pinto and maybe Kent Johnson but Matty ought to be the favorite.
Don't forget Owen Power. He's already the Sabres second best D man (although that wasn't hard to do :)) He's a less sexy pick as a D man but he's in the running.

Beniers is ahead of where I thought he'd be though. Very impressive so far.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Don't forget Owen Power. He's already the Sabres second best D man (although that wasn't hard to do :)) He's a less sexy pick as a D man but he's in the running.

Beniers is ahead of where I thought he'd be though. Very impressive so far.
And the thing that excites me about this is that it takes a lot of pressure off Wright to be 'the man'. They seemed to have developed a pretty good relationship already, and I am pretty sure will feed off each other and keep improving. It is an ideal situation for both.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
And the thing that excites me about this is that it takes a lot of pressure off Wright to be 'the man'. They seemed to have developed a pretty good relationship already, and I am pretty sure will feed off each other and keep improving. It is an ideal situation for both.
With Beniers there, I don't think he will ever actually get the chance to be THE man. At least, I think Matty will be the best center on this team long term. Still laughing about how many people were sour on last years draft class. I think there are more high ceiling, star prospects from the 2021 draft than the 2019, 2020 and 2022 drafts. Can't ever trust when all the pundits and fans start generalizing about entire draft classes. And maybe it didn't have a "generational player", or at least an obvious one, someone still may reach that level, I still think Beniers is going to be a Toews like stud.

Man, Beniers, McTavish, Kent Johnson, Eklund, Guenther, SIllinger, Othmann, Coronato, Lysell, Lucius, ..... guys who were taken later than they should have been like Svechkov, Johnston, Bourgault, L'Heureux and even 2nd rounders, Stankoven, Raty, Chibrikov, Klimovich, Knies, Pinelli.... and those young D prospects, Power, Hughes, Clarke, Edvinsson, Zellweger, Morrow, Lambos, Iorio and two first round goalies in Cossa and Walstedt..... seriously, if even 1/4 of the 1st/2nd round 2021 prospects reach their potential, it'l have been one of the best drafts since like 2015.

Last edited:
Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
How's he been playing recently? Pretty quiet lately while the other Calder favorites (including an unexpected one from the desert) are slowly catching up to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad