Prospect Info: Matthew Beniers (Round 1, 2 overall)

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Superstars in Arizona would be wasted. That is a small market that was another one of Bettman's mistakes.

Edmonton losing the Oilers would have been a huge black-eye for Bettman after Canada lost both Quebec and Winnipeg on his watch. (rumor was they might come to Seattle)

Edmonton is a major hockey market, despite the city being relatively small when compared to a city like Phoenix. (Glendale).

I am not saying the lottery is rigged regularly, or even ever, but for close to 20 years, the results were super predictable.

And why in the hell would you not televise the draw unless there is something they don't want people to see. It is great television. But like The Marquis said, that last (and only) televised draw was super suspect.

And I agree, they would never worry about Montreal needing to win the lottery, that is why I said it will likely be Chicago that wins the draw if it is truly rigged when the next superstar is available.
I read this while imagining you with an Aluminum hat.

Reactions: Irie

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I read this while imagining you with an Aluminum hat.
Ha! I used to have one, but it no longer fits my fat head ;)

The entire conversation about the rigged lottery has been going in here off and on since last spring. It is all tongue in cheek and in jest, and mostly just the Marquis and I commiserating over many of the lottery irregularities over the years), but if you post some reference to some of the suspect shenanigans over the years, people suddenly take one post as evidence you are a hard core conspiracy theorist.

We are actually working together to collect the data and expose Bettman's draft corruption! (See, that is also not true, just messing with other posters)

And don't get me started on the lost art of understanding sarcasm in here....

The post you quoted was just me having fun playing devils advocate to the general belief on these boards that the NHL hated the idea of McDavid going to edmonton.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
better odds will help to an certain extent but it still doesn't take account to how unpredictable the lottery is. Based on past history we should have dropped at least 1 spot last year. We didn't we moved up 1 spot. People whole think we should just lose and lose need to understand chances are unlikely we'll land 1OA. Doesn't mean we won't land it but its the attutide that loosing is acceptable. its not losing should never be acceptable behavior for fans.

Fans need to stop with the whole "tank" attitude. Its annoying and it annoys other fans.

Fire the coach, fire the GM, get rid of this guy get rid of that guy, screw the refs etc. All that on and on and on annoys people. i stopped paying attention to yesterdays game once the finger pointing at the refs happened again.

A few simple rules. 1) enjoy the game 2) do not ruin the enjoyment of the game for others. 3) if 1) isn't possible then turn it off and do something else instead of being up in arms over a call you don't agree with and have no control over and ruin the enjoyment of others.

I have learned over the years to follow these simple rules. I used to harp and swear at the refs and the team all the time while watching on tv. I don't do that anymore at least that vocally. I just turn it off and do something else.

1) Absolutely no one in here's talking about us winning the lottery because we finish really low.
People know that this season's completely lost and that free agency isn't the solution to everything as you can't spend your way out of the bottom of this league.

Because of that people want the highest pick guaranteed, meaning the lower you finish the higher you guaranteed to select during the entry draft.
So if we keep the current position we'd be guaranteed a top five pick in a draft that has at least five very good prospects.
Meaning we'd have a chance at one of those and actually a better position to select the player we want.

2) Fans are not players, who will and should give it their everything all the time.

Again, we know this season's lost and that the draft is a very important part of building this team.
We just saw Beniers debut and watched a guy looking more talented than anyone else we've got on this team.
So naturally we want more of that as this is the most realistic route to improve this team.

3) Overall I think you shouldn't take comments on here to seriously and rather just enjoy the game.

I'm pretty sure if there's a nice play or a kid like Beniers doing something fun people will acknowledge that and have something fun to say about it as well.

Reactions: JelloPuddyPops

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA

The entire conversation about the rigged lottery has been going in here off and on since last spring. It is all tongue in cheek and in jest, and mostly just the Marquis and I commiserating over many of the lottery irregularities over the years), but if you post some reference to some of the suspect shenanigans over the years, people suddenly take one post as evidence you are a hard core conspiracy theorist.

We are actually working together to collect the data and expose Bettman's draft corruption! (See, that is also not true, just messing with other posters)

The post you quoted was just me having fun playing devils advocate to the general belief on these boards that the NHL hated the idea of McDavid going to edmonton.

Exactly. It’s all just for fun. If the league did rig the lottery, they’re probably doing it for the good of the sport and it would eventually come around to whoever needed it most. I’m also a big pro wrestling and boxing fan and don’t need my sports to be legit to enjoy them. :)

Reactions: Irie

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Guess it depends on what other teams you've been following, but it's difficult for me to have a casual attitude about lottery shenanigans because mine has never benefitted from them.

Try coming in dead last (for once) and getting stuck with JVR while a better team gets Pat Kane, a true franchise-changer.

Terrible luck, I guess.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Yeah I dont know why leagues go with a lottery type system when to me its obvious that the team with the worst record or least amount of points should get the number 1 pick, I know its suppose to not make tanking a a thing with the lottery but you still have to hit on your picks

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Yeah I dont know why leagues go with a lottery type system when to me its obvious that the team with the worst record or least amount of points should get the number 1 pick, I know its suppose to not make tanking a a thing with the lottery but you still have to hit on your picks
It was implemented to avoid the ridiculous behavior of a few teams doing everything they could to lose games, which was embarrassing for the league.

The NFL had a situation last year with Philadelphia, who sat starters, and then benched their QB because he was playing well. The results had major playoff implications for the rest of the league, which made it very relevant and much worse.

Not a good look.

I agree, it is not a great system, but having a lottery is not the worst scenario either. Only being able to drop two slots is much better than what they had recently.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

FYI, the easiest way to make one is to cover a baseball hat with aluminum foil, that's what I did at work.

The whole story is that Dell made a bunch of computers with improperly grounded boards, and I blew a motherboard while sitting in a vehicle during a work trip. After the laptop was repaired, I bought foil and wrapped it around a binder to use as a grounding plate under the laptop and grounded it to the seat frame. I figured I bought foil with company money so I wrapped my hat as a joke, rode the rest of the trip with a tin foil hat.

Dell wound up recalling all of the computers including a thousand or so at my company alone. We had a bunch of people lose the graphics card, I was the only one to blow the motherboard, my first month at work lol.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Even if you don't get 1st overall you should be in position to get the 2nd best C, best winger or either of the top 2 defenders. The teams needs are top line C, top line wingers and top pair defenders. So you'll check off one of those boxes. Wright is the best player in this draft but not a tier above the rest like you find in some drafts, so isn't catastrophic if you drop to say 3rd overall.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Even if you don't get 1st overall you should be in position to get the 2nd best C, best winger or either of the top 2 defenders. The teams needs are top line C, top line wingers and top pair defenders. So you'll check off one of those boxes. Wright is the best player in this draft but not a tier above the rest like you find in some drafts, so isn't catastrophic if you drop to say 3rd overall.
Agreed, and I have a feeling that there is a good chance Wright doesn't even end up being the best player taken in the top 5 when all is said and done.

I think what most are worried about is overtaking Jersey, Philly or Chicago and possibly finishing 5th and then dropping to 7th in the lottery. While that would not be the end of the world, it would be disappointing considering the season we've all endured.

The higher pick, while no guarantee to produce a better player, would at least give us the perception that maybe there was some upside to all the suffering this season. :laugh:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Agreed, and I have a feeling that there is a good chance Wright doesn't even end up being the best player taken in the top 5 when all is said and done.

I think what most are worried about is overtaking Jersey, Philly or Chicago and possibly finishing 5th and then dropping to 7th in the lottery. While that would not be the end of the world, it would be disappointing considering the season we've all endured.

The higher pick, while no guarantee to produce a better player, would at least give us the perception that maybe there was some upside to all the suffering this season. :laugh:
Right. I think it would be more of a disappointment than a worry to drop out of the top-4. I feel like Wright, Slaf and Cooley are the top-tier forwards and Nemec and Jiricek are the top-tier D-men. Though, who knows how our prospects are ranking them.

If we can get any of the 5 above prospects, it would feel like good compensation for having a shitty season like we have had.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Right. I think it would be more of a disappointment than a worry to drop out of the top-4. I feel like Wright, Slaf and Cooley are the top-tier forwards and Nemec and Jiricek are the top-tier D-men. Though, who knows how our prospects are ranking them.

If we can get any of the 5 above prospects, it would feel like good compensation for having a shitty season like we have had.
There is also the scenario where they end up with a top five pick, and then Francis and Botterill go completely off the board and grab someone like Nazar or Mateychuk.... and we will all be standing around in shocked silence for a couple of months...

Stranger things have happened :laugh:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
There is also the scenario where they end up with a top five pick, and then Francis and Botterill go completely off the board and grab someone like Nazar or Mateychuk.... and we will all be standing around in shocked silence for a couple of months...

Stranger things have happened :laugh:
Oh absolutely. Who knows. A lot of time the way scouts rank prospects is very different than the fans. Or even some analysts.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00