Prospect Info: Matthew Beniers (Round 1, 2 overall)

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Great stuff.
giphy.gif

Here's the artcile on the homepage.
According to it, he'll start practicing with the team tomorrow.

BTW: I think we just need to bitch and moan a bit more for Ron to do the stuff we want. :laugh:

i'll say this regarding Beniers do not be surprised if Seattle tries him as a 1C for the rest of the season before setting him on more longer term Center position line wise for next season. The first set of games will give the team an idea on how he'll handle NHL talent so it wouldn't hurt to throw him as a 1C and see what happens then set a more long term forward line position in the off-season.

Like @Fistfullofbeer said, that's probably not a good idea.

I think it's more likely he'll even play on the wing of Gourde to ease him into action and not force him into those tough situations early on.

Reactions: Irie

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I don't think that is a great idea putting that much pressure on him. That being said, the team has been playing McCann on the 4th line so do we really have true 1-4 lines right now? Also, is he really a better option that Gourde, Wennberg or McCann right now?

Easing him to the speed and physicality of the NHL is a better way to introduce him to the pros.

If the player has that understanding that the team is trying things to see how he fairs, i don't see why not only for a few games. Now if he joined us from the start of the season then that's a different situation. It gives the team and him an idea what his potential ceiling would be.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
If the player has that understanding that the team is trying things to see how he fairs, i don't see why not only for a few games. Now if he joined us from the start of the season then that's a different situation. It gives the team and him an idea what his potential ceiling would be.
There is a HUGE difference between the speed of the NHL and College.

Don't give the kid too much responsibility to start his career. Let him have some fun and savor the moment of playing in the league before you break him.

Playing center requires a lot more understanding of the system and more processing time.

He is not ready for that.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Not that I expect him to just show up and make a difference at this stage, but am excited to finally see him out there!

We're in a weird situation due to not really having a 1C already, and having Hakstol for a coach. Most kids look pretty wobbly at first so I hope somebody smart is evaluating the ideal minutes and line mates for him. They 100% must do this correctly if Beniers is supposed to become a leader and franchise forward.

edit: by "do this correctly" I'm referring to long-term development.

Reactions: kihei

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Not that I expect him to just show up and make a difference at this stage, but am excited to finally see him out there!

We're in a weird situation due to not really having a 1C already, and having Hakstol for a coach. Most kids look pretty wobbly at first so I hope somebody smart is evaluating the ideal minutes and line mates for him. They 100% must do this correctly if Beniers is supposed to become a leader and franchise forward.

edit: by "do this correctly" I'm referring to long-term development.

He might you never know. Eh. It still doesn't matter who's head coach, the roster has holes in it which is to be expected when its a new team.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Beniers will have a long learning curve, like most blue-chip prospects. I keep telling myself that. It is hard, though, to temper my enthusiasm, but more pressure from fans is not what he needs. Glad to have him aboard, though.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Beniers will have a long learning curve, like most blue-chip prospects. I keep telling myself that. It is hard, though, to temper my enthusiasm, but more pressure from fans is not what he needs. Glad to have him aboard, though.

Eh he may adjust quicker than others. Each prospect playing their first season adjust differently than others.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
That's a nice setup for success - and a lot of speed (relatively speaking on our roster, that is).

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
What odd lines. Doesn't even feel like the same team. Interesting that Sprong ended up the man out, though that's probably the decision I make as well.

Haydn Fleury out of concussion protocol yet? Wild stuff that he's still not playing in games.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I definitely think he should start out at C running a top line. He just got finished with the Frozen Four playing center so let him play where he is comfortable. NHL is way different than college but it is only nine games or so I think let him play his position and see what he can do.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I definitely think he should start out at C running a top line. He just got finished with the Frozen Four playing center so let him play where he is comfortable. NHL is way different than college but it is only nine games or so I think let him play his position and see what he can do.

10 games left in the season.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
What odd lines. Doesn't even feel like the same team. Interesting that Sprong ended up the man out, though that's probably the decision I make as well.

Haydn Fleury out of concussion protocol yet? Wild stuff that he's still not playing in games.
He was skating today with a red (no-contact) jersey so my guess is he is getting better but not quite out of it yet.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Went to the practice. Was cool to see him on the ice. I like the line combination with Eberle & Donato.

Bonus: my kid chased a puck and the kid that got it gave it to my kid since they already had one. Then my kid dropped his puck and when getting it, found another and gave the extra to another kid. #KrakenRoots

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
You know what would be a fun line? schwartz-beniers-eberle once schwartz is back playing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad