Player Discussion: Matt Martin

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Last time Isles held the line on term, he split to Toronto for term. He got paid, had to deal with the consequences of it, then magically it worked out for him to return.

Along the way though...in typical fashion...isles fans complained about losing him and ‘how could we not match that?’ style. Now, Isles give him term to settle down the cap hit and, guess what, people are complaining again. Unbelievable.
Don't assume the group complaining about losing him is the same complaining about this deal. I had no issue with him leaving.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Our 4th line is and will continue to be something that few teams in hockey have.

It'll also likely only play together for 50% of the time. There's a lot of wear and tear there - and they won't be getting any sturdier any time soon.

Our top 6 are skill players (in the grand scheme of things) and Pageau is plenty skilled himself. Only Barzal can be exceptional, although Nelson is becoming unique in a lot of ways himself.

In essence, it looks like this franchise is going to put its offensive eggs in the baskets of Wahlstrom and the hope that one of Bellows, Holmstrom, Timashov, Koivula or even Dal Colle can break through at some point. I only really see Wahlstrom having the skill set for more than a third liner, but he also leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to overall wherewithal.

In any case, with Boychuk out, Martin really becomes about the most important glue guy in the organization.

Sure, Ross may be the org's top fighter and there are easily 12+ better skaters, but Martin is an identity and has a wide range of respect around the league.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
If Cizikas next contract is under two, and same for Clutter, the most expensive 4th line in hockey becomes manageable. Martin is taking a million pay cut.

Clutterbuck though, I don't see him playing past his next deal right now. He's had some real bad injuries and has already considered retirement.
Can't see it right now. His salary this season will be 4 mil, and if he manages to stay healthy (no guarantee!) he doesn't really have any reason to take a big discount. Line is greater than the sum of its parts, yadda yadda, but he's the backbone of it and other teams know it.

Martin is taking a pay cut because nobody was giving him close to 2.5 mil, Lou at least recognized that much. Shot in the dark but if the Rangers were in on him, I'd guess they offered 1-1.5 mil for two years max. Other teams saw what happened with him in Toronto and they're not going to pay much for a potential repeat.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
That's the thing, if Martin comes back and took a shave of 1M per to do so, Cizikas and Clutterbuck should follow suit. I would prefer them around a 2-2.5 AVV than their current AVV of 3-3.5 currently.

As a whole, they are better than 3 individuals.

Reactions: Beacon Isles

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Why are we committing 4 years to Matt Martin??? I agree that the money is right, but this length was not necessary. No matter what his age is that's too much term for a guy who has not had a good regular season (nor stays healthy) in the last 2 years. I realize he had a fine playoff and is a fan favorite but 2 years would have been the right length for Martin.

The next move for us had better be to extend Barry Trotz's contract otherwise in 2 years we're going to give the next coach a 4th line that he may not want, assuming we're going to re-sign Cizikas for a similar term next year.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Why are we committing 4 years to Matt Martin??? I agree that the money is right, but this length was not necessary. No matter what his age is that's too much term for a guy who has not had a good regular season (nor stays healthy) in the last 2 years. I realize he had a fine playoff and is a fan favorite but 2 years would have been the right length for Martin.

The next move for us had better be to extend Barry Trotz's contract otherwise in 2 years we're going to give the next coach a 4th line that he may not want, assuming we're going to re-sign Cizikas for a similar term next year.

For the record, I was AGAINST bringing Matt Martin back from Toronto.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
That's the thing, if Martin comes back and took a shave of 1M per to do so, Cizikas and Clutterbuck should follow suit. I would prefer them around a 2-2.5 AVV than their current AVV of 3-3.5 currently.

As a whole, they are better than 3 individuals.

Id love to see Casey back on a $2.5M AAV deal but he'll be 30 as a UFA and this could be his last best chance to cash in. If he has a good year, some team may pay him $4M AAV + to be a 3C, at which point I would say you have to let him go.

Cal will be 35 in two years when hes a UFA - with his physical game, he'll be lucky he can still walk at that point. I think this is Cal's last contract TBH. Or it should be where the Isles are concerned.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
What is the debate exactly?

The Isles can bury $1.125, $1.125 and $1.15 million in the AHL over the final three years of the deal, so it is clearly not a cap issue.

Martin took a salary cut to remain with the Isles and he was worth every penny last season.

On his current salary, so far we don't have any reason not to suspect he will live up to the salary at least this season and then it will depend on health. If he wears down significantly, he maybe goes to LTIR and then the salary is irrelevant.

Even middling-to-bad NHL/AHL vet types, like Kenny Agostino (most people will probably ask, who?), make in the $700,000-$750,000 range each season to help lead AHL teams.

If the worst comes to pass, Martin becomes an AHL player/coach and surely that has to be worth the insignificant NHL cap hit and minor premium he will earn the last year or so?

I just don't see what is up for debate. The Isles owners appear to want to keep him in the fold for life, be it as a player/coach or maybe for PR down the line, and it is their money to spend.
I wasn’t taking a side either way. Just thought your point about Martin’s newfound financial security was strange.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
With hockey players career trajectories looking more and more like that of soccer players, no player over 30 should be given more than two years or three at the max.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

I'd be absolutely shocked if he's skating after two years - he barely can keep up now. No way he'll be able to do so with 2 more years of wear and tear. I see a quasi-retirement LTIR (or waiver situation) and he takes a role with the organization. He and Boychuk in charge of player development or something like that. This is a retirement payment upfront for being such a loyal guy. Otherwise, the 4 years makes no sense. None at all. The money is high, but defensible enough. The term - on its face - is not.

Reactions: MJF

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Id love to see Casey back on a $2.5M AAV deal but he'll be 30 as a UFA and this could be his last best chance to cash in. If he has a good year, some team may pay him $4M AAV + to be a 3C, at which point I would say you have to let him go.

Cal will be 35 in two years when hes a UFA - with his physical game, he'll be lucky he can still walk at that point. I think this is Cal's last contract TBH. Or it should be where the Isles are concerned.
The ID line was always better as a sum of their parts rather than individuals. I am not sure with what Cizikas will get in a post Covid world. This is where a GM can exploit, and I hate the word given it is a pandemic to get a player under a team friendly contract. Cal has 2 years left. Right now we do not have to worry about him. If the Isles can get Casey at about 2.5M in the current climate, this would have shaven close to 2M on the best 4th line in hockey. That would be great in my eyes for the next 2 years guaranteed.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i was thinking about 1.5 for two years. but he is a glue kinda guy, and our checking line (they are not a 4th line) is freaking awesome.

i actually see Clutterbuck leaving before MM. that guy is baaaaanged up. warrior, but i don't think the Isles spend anymore on him.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Great keep....#17 had options for more cash and had plenty of suitors....MTL did their damnedest to secure the Marts/even Tor took a shot..Philly was on top of it also....but it appears the Island was the place to be ...Good job Lou..Good job Matty Marts...The Nay sayers are just that ..the team is better with #17...Go Islanders

Reactions: Lek

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
I'd be absolutely shocked if he's skating after two years - he barely can keep up now. No way he'll be able to do so with 2 more years of wear and tear. I see a quasi-retirement LTIR (or waiver situation) and he takes a role with the organization. He and Boychuk in charge of player development or something like that. This is a retirement payment upfront for being such a loyal guy. Otherwise, the 4 years makes no sense. None at all. The money is high, but defensible enough. The term - on its face - is not.

Im betting it becomes a Cairns type situation after 2 years or so.... convenient injuries, spot in the org coaching or PR or whatever.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
i was thinking about 1.5 for two years. but he is a glue kinda guy, and our checking line (they are not a 4th line) is freaking awesome.

i actually see Clutterbuck leaving before MM. that guy is baaaaanged up. warrior, but i don't think the Isles spend anymore on him.

They're saying Clutter doesn't have feeling in a couple of his fingers... that, the prior back injury... love the guy but I dont see him playing past the current contract, if that.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
They're saying Clutter doesn't have feeling in a couple of his fingers... that, the prior back injury... love the guy but I dont see him playing past the current contract, if that.

Lots of injury talk ..Kairns that..no feeling in this.... players not being able to function/...Crazy talk..these are top athletes who take care of themselves yet play a rough style....that has kept this team in the thick of things for years....Ask yourself how many never touched a body in the playoffs ..be more worried about them

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I’m happy for Matty. He loves Long Island and he made his own home here. When he retires he most likely will have a position with the Islanders!
I am too, 1.5M per may be a lot to normal people, but to a hockey player who has a short time period to make their money in this game, it is not. Matt has a young family. Good that he got a bit of security. It's still not a lot, but it will put him some money in the bank while he takes care of his family and transition out of hockey into a new career.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Lots of injury talk ..Kairns that..no feeling in this.... players not being able to function/...Crazy talk..these are top athletes who take care of themselves yet play a rough style....that has kept this team in the thick of things for years....Ask yourself how many never touched a body in the playoffs ..be more worried about them

Tons of respect for Clutter and always will for the way he sacrifices the body, but you remember him getting helped off the ice prior to back surgery? And the sliced tendons? You can keep in shape as much as you want, but shit happens. Just ask Johnny Boychuk.

For his own quality of life I hope he retires at the end of the current contract, 35 and able to play with his kids and his dog.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Personally I'm more worried about an accumulation of dead contracts like Andrew Ladd's (I'm pretty sure he took care of himself but two bad knees and a bad back later it doesn't matter) but sure.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Holy Toledo. 4 years. I thought he was gonna get 2 years and then reassess after that. Salary is fine, but wow.
Wonder if original offer was in the 2x2 range, maybe 2x2.25, but Martin has a young family and maybe wants to stay on the Island long-term. Could see him getting a job with org after his playing days.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Wonder if original offer was in the 2x2 range, maybe 2x2.25, but Martin has a young family and maybe wants to stay on the Island long-term. Could see him getting a job with org after his playing days.
Yeah, I'm thinking (hoping) that the idea was to sign him for 4 years to prevent Seattle from taking him next year (since he'll be unprotected in the expansion draft), but it's a wink-wink, nod-nod thing where he retires after a couple of years to take a job in the organization or broadcast booth. Again, one can hope....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad