Player Discussion: Matt Martin

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
The more I think about it, Im ok with the deal. They just lost Boychuk, a big leader and locker room guy. Locking up Matt at a reasonable AAV to be a veteran voice on the team isnt so bad. I just hope that 3rd and 4th year ages well. Someday future Islanders will be getting the Matt Martin award, and he'll be taking over for Nystrom doing public appearances.

Reactions: beach

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
personally think Ross the Boss settles into a 3rd line role soon enough. The Boss JPG and a skilled fast kid on he 3rd line and were good to go. Just my two cents. Good for Matty as well!

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Clutterbuck (especially) and Cizikas's are the problem with the 4th line.

Martin's hit is what $800K over the minimum? Is an extra $800K against an $81.5million cap hit worth Martin? Absolutely.
If they let Cizikas go after this season I'll be really surprised. This is a sign that they want to keep the gang together for another few years and at this point I'm expecting another four years for Zeeker too.

Reactions: joekono

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Clutterbuck (especially) and Cizikas's are the problem with the 4th line.

Martin's hit is what $800K over the minimum? Is an extra $800K against an $81.5million cap hit worth Martin? Absolutely.
It's not a big annual cap hit but you're kidding yourself if you think that it'll be simple to bury a fan favorite in the AHL.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I am not necessarily worried about contracts like Martin and Johnston, since they are in the $1-1.5 million range. If the player isn't needed, the salary can be buried in the AHL, assuming they aren't claimed on waivers of course.

I assume the length on Martin's deal is potentially as a deterrent for the expansion draft. It will be interesting to see if the contract is back loaded.

Or, if Seattle claims Martin, it should give him and his family some financial stability. As opposed to being drafted and flipped as a trade chip.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
I am not necessarily worried about contracts like Martin and Johnston, since they are in the $1-1.5 million range. If the player isn't needed, the salary can be buried in the AHL, assuming they aren't claimed on waivers of course.

I assume the length on Martin's deal is potentially as a deterrent for the expansion draft. It will be interesting to see if the contract is back loaded.

Or, if Seattle claims Martin, it should give him and his family some financial stability. As opposed to being drafted and flipped as a trade chip.
This contract puts him over 20 million for his career, and he's married to Boomer Esiason's daughter. I think they'll be ok financially haha

I'm fine with keeping him around, absolutely love Matty Marts. Just think it's kind of redundant to keep Ross around too.

Reactions: The Real JT

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I’m going to guess the four years is to keep the cap hit down for the front loaded salary he’s getting for the next two years.

As I speculated in another thread. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is more an organizational vs player contract. If his game completely falls apart by year four, whatever amount he would walk away from with retirement can be made up elsewhere in the organization.

We all know Matt Martin and the Isles are lifers.

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I’m going to guess the four years is to keep the cap hit down for the front loaded salary he’s getting for the next two years.

As I speculated in another thread. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is more an organizational vs player contract. If his game completely falls apart by year four, whatever amount he would walk away from with retirement can be made up elsewhere in the organization.

We all know Matt Martin and the Isles are lifers.
Interesting take but that only makes signing Barzal more difficult.

I suppose Lou might have something else up his sleeve. Maybe another LTIR?

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
It's not a big annual cap hit but you're kidding yourself if you think that it'll be simple to bury a fan favorite in the AHL.

The annual hit isn't amazing but again Martin is worth $800K of a cap hit. He has plenty in the tank and the biggest thing this (continues) to do is build the culture of the team. Remember when we'd have half the roster turnover every year, or at least a big chunk? Those days are gone, and considering how well the team has been playing the past couple of years that's good.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I think the multi-millionaire pro hockey player might not have to worry about financial stability that much...

Lots of pro athletes, who have made far more than Martin, have gone broke. Heck, smart business investors make bad investments all of the time or have a large part of their net worth locked up for extended periods of time and aren't very liquid.

Reactions: joekono

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Four years is a bit too long but the money is as expected. I suppose it's front loaded to make it easier to trade or demote him if needed in a couple of years.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
If Cizikas next contract is under two, and same for Clutter, the most expensive 4th line in hockey becomes manageable. Martin is taking a million pay cut.

Clutterbuck though, I don't see him playing past his next deal right now. He's had some real bad injuries and has already considered retirement.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
Lots of pro athletes, who have made far more than Martin, have gone broke. Heck, smart business investors make bad investments all of the time or have a large part of their net worth locked up for extended periods of time and aren't very liquid.
Yeah of course... but that shouldn’t be used as a reason to justify paying him more money than he’s worth. Should all athletes be paid more in case they make bad financial decisions in the future?

Of course Martin wants as much as he can make, but the point up for debate is whether the Isles should pay him that.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Last time Isles held the line on term, he split to Toronto for term. He got paid, had to deal with the consequences of it, then magically it worked out for him to return.

Along the way though...in typical fashion...isles fans complained about losing him and ‘how could we not match that?’ style. Now, Isles give him term to settle down the cap hit and, guess what, people are complaining again. Unbelievable.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I love Martin and he’s the Mayor of the team but man why do you need to go 4 years?? He would have accepted 1 year deals or even a 2 year deal. And 1.5AAV? It’s not much but come on.

The one positive I will say is Martin scored some goals in the playoffs and was effective.

Now you better re-sign Cizikas because is Martin as effective without Cizikas?

I just don’t get the reason to go 4 years.
He would have signed a one or two year deal? Really? How do YOU know that.

He went for term in his last deal. He’s doing so again on this one. Seems obvious he wants term.

Reactions: danteipp

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm annoyed if this is the deal. Too much term and too much money for a player that I was hoping we'd move on from before he declined, not after. It can be buried for almost the full amount, which is nice, but I do not like this deal.

Reactions: MJF

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Re: Casey, I have no issue bringing him back for less $$ but I have to think someone out there may offer him as much or more than we're paying now.

Re: Clutter, he's what, 33 already. Probably best to not bring him back.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
He'll more than likely never play in BP, but he can be sent down for cap purposes if need be.

This seems like a thank you for your loyalty, type deal. unnecessary in both amount and length as there were probably not many (or any) bidders, but he likely won't be playing in 2-3 years and will be part of the Organization for many years after. This deal is simply a down payment for his life after hockey. Would have preferred it to be $1m so there wouldn't be that extra 1/2 million cap implication when he gets buried, but for a guy like Matty, I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. If anyone should get a slight overpayment to ensure some stability going forward, its him.

But if he plays 2 of the 4 years of this deal, that will be a lot. He's quickly losing the speed he needs to be effective in this league. But as far as heart goes, there ain't any better.

It is interesting though that ownership ok's the team essentially gifting away money - which is essentially what's happening here. Not my money (well, being that I just signed my Ticket Holder Agreement, it partially is....) so if that's what they want to do, so be it....

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Yeah of course... but that shouldn’t be used as a reason to justify paying him more money than he’s worth. Should all athletes be paid more in case they make bad financial decisions in the future?

Of course Martin wants as much as he can make, but the point up for debate is whether the Isles should pay him that.

What is the debate exactly?

The Isles can bury $1.125, $1.125 and $1.15 million in the AHL over the final three years of the deal, so it is clearly not a cap issue.

Martin took a salary cut to remain with the Isles and he was worth every penny last season.

On his current salary, so far we don't have any reason not to suspect he will live up to the salary at least this season and then it will depend on health. If he wears down significantly, he maybe goes to LTIR and then the salary is irrelevant.

Even middling-to-bad NHL/AHL vet types, like Kenny Agostino (most people will probably ask, who?), make in the $700,000-$750,000 range each season to help lead AHL teams.

If the worst comes to pass, Martin becomes an AHL player/coach and surely that has to be worth the insignificant NHL cap hit and minor premium he will earn the last year or so?

I just don't see what is up for debate. The Isles owners appear to want to keep him in the fold for life, be it as a player/coach or maybe for PR down the line, and it is their money to spend.

Reactions: JKP

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Martin is a valuable Islander, I trust Lou here. It's not a 2.5m x 4 year contract. It is at 1M less per year. A significant pay cut the Isles can survive on the short term, in 2+ years when the cap increases, 1.5M per will be a discount. The 4 years to me is Lou messaging to other players on the team, he will look after players that are loyal to the logo. There is a strong synergy to this. Lou has always been more about team dynamics, it's what keeps him ahead of Dumbass Gm's that like to build teams like EA sports team's. If this team can survive Ladd at 5.5M per, it can certainly be better with Martin at 1.5M per. There can be no dispute if Martin can stay healthy, he is a big contributor to this team. I don't think it's a coincidence the Isles have made the playoffs, and won 3 playoff rds the past 2 seasons since he came back.

Last edited:

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I'm annoyed if this is the deal. Too much term and too much money for a player that I was hoping we'd move on from before he declined, not after. It can be buried for almost the full amount, which is nice, but I do not like this deal.
The dollar amount isn't really the big deal as you mention - it can be buried. But the roster spot might be needed in the future. Hopefully we will have a wink/wink deal where he will go on IR (LTIR or otherwise) whenever we need him to. Sort of like Eric Boulton seemed to pull a hammy in practice every time we needed a roster spot.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The dollar amount isn't really the big deal as you mention - it can be buried. But the roster spot might be needed in the future. Hopefully we will have a wink/wink deal where he will go on IR (LTIR or otherwise) whenever we need him to. Sort of like Eric Boulton seemed to pull a hammy in practice every time we needed a roster spot.
I don't see a problem with the cap hit. 1.5M is not really a big deal. If he signed a 2.5M x 4 year contract yes, it would be. But shaving 1M off his cap hit, which probably would not have happened had it not been for a pandemic may look good when the cap rises again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad