Player Discussion: Matt Martin

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY

I flipped out at first, but the number is probably .25 too high and a year too long. People are going to compare it to Komarov and Hickey because of the term, but the AAV is a good bit lower and I don’t mind a small overpay to a ride or die guy. I also think this means Greene’s salary comes in under 1M... we’ll see though

Reactions: Beacon Isles

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

I love Martin and he’s the Mayor of the team but man why do you need to go 4 years?? He would have accepted 1 year deals or even a 2 year deal. And 1.5AAV? It’s not much but come on.

The one positive I will say is Martin scored some goals in the playoffs and was effective.

Now you better re-sign Cizikas because is Martin as effective without Cizikas?

I just don’t get the reason to go 4 years.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007

Incredible that Lou keeps doing this. There's no benefit to going four years. As a bonus, it's close to a guarantee that Cizikas gets re-signed, assuming his body doesn't fall apart during the next season (also for four years I would guess?), who knows what happens with Clutterbuck and his numb hand.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Ross is not a garbage player. If he played close to a full season, his numbers would mirror Matt's and with a similar skillset.
Not a chance. Ross plays 3-5 minutes a game. Martin plays 10-13. Why do you think that is. They are not even close.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
If Matt plays out the whole contract, that will be 13 years with the Islanders, and 2 up north of the border.

On one hand, I appreciate the loyalty to the player. The term I dont mind - its maybe a year or two longer than I would have liked, but he's taking a pay cut from the last contract and something has to give, I guess.

Biggest question now is that Ross and Matt are pretty much redundant, and making $2.5M combined. Which I guess is still less than the other two 4th liners, but you've basically got $10M tied up in your 4th line in Clutter, Casey, Matt and Ross.

Reactions: Rangers ftw

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
MM: I want to stay but the contract needs to be 2 years at $1.25 million.

Lou: I don't know if we can do that. How about 3 years at $1.25 million?

MM: Uh, well... wait, what was that?

Lou: Okay, then 4 years at $1.5 million, but that's my final offer.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I love Martin and he’s the Mayor of the team but man why do you need to go 4 years?? He would have accepted 1 year deals or even a 2 year deal. And 1.5AAV? It’s not much but come on.

The one positive I will say is Martin scored some goals in the playoffs and was effective.

Now you better re-sign Cizikas because is Martin as effective without Cizikas?

I just don’t get the reason to go 4 years.

Feel similar to you, and wanted him to be associated with Isles in some way going forwards. However, I really thought this was going to be 1M-1.25M for 2 years.. I can see some reward in here for being the current Mr Islander, the Mayor.

I had assumed 2.5M for Greene and Martin combined, now wondering what Greene brings and how much is left for Barzal.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
If Matt plays out the whole contract, that will be 13 years with the Islanders, and 2 up north of the border.

On one hand, I appreciate the loyalty to the player. The term I dont mind - its maybe a year or two longer than I would have liked, but he's taking a pay cut from the last contract and something has to give, I guess.

Biggest question now is that Ross and Matt are pretty much redundant, and making $2.5M combined. Which I guess is still less than the other two 4th liners, but you've basically got $10M tied up in your 4th line in Clutter, Casey, Matt and Ross.
Yep. Something to keep in mind when people are getting pissy about not having enough space to sign guys like Hoffman.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Whatever on the term, the cap hit isn’t anything major so it’s fine, he’s going to be an Islander forever.

I don’t really think it’s that big of a deal.
I agree. I would have done 2 years, x 1 million a year. But this is 500K extra. The 2 years is kinda meh for me, I still don't think this blocks out the Hoffmans of the world because Matty is an everyday guy. Also, I'd want him and Ross together. Not one or the other.

Reactions: xECK29x

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Not a chance. Ross plays 3-5 minutes a game. Martin plays 10-13. Why do you think that is. They are not even close.
If you extrapolate based on minutes played, Ross' numbers are actually better than Matt's. Look, I like Martin, and his chemistry with CC and Clutter is great, but Johnston has never really been given a chance at being a full time player. He has much more offensive upside than you think, and plays smart.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00