Player Discussion: Matt Martin

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Komarov and Hickey's deals were bad because of the cap hit. Martin's hit is very reasonable. Imagine finally being at the point where solid players want to stay with the team and we're arguing they shouldn't over peanuts.

Who do you want replacing him? A minimum contract to save a $800K cap hit out of a $81.5million cap? A young and upcoming prospect who shouldn't be getting 4th line minutes (see Nino)?

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Komarov and Hickey's deals were bad because of the cap hit. Martin's hit is very reasonable. Imagine finally being at the point where solid players want to stay with the team and we're arguing they shouldn't over peanuts.

Who do you want replacing him? A minimum contract to save a $800K cap hit out of a $81.5million cap? A young and upcoming prospect who shouldn't be getting 4th line minutes (see Nino)?

I couldn't agree more. At least Uncle Leo can be used as a Swiss army knife, moved around the lineup and as a placeholder, be it wing, center or PK.

But Hickey's deal was especially bad because it seemed reactionary to losing CdH. Thankfully the Isles dodged a bullet there, given his shoulder issues.

Hickey even when he is healthy and at his best, the Isles still had internal options that were seemingly comparable or they could have opted to just trade for a player on an expiring contract (like Greene).

Again, with respect to the last 2 years of Martin's contract, if he has physically worn down by then, he can go to LTIR for extended stretches, and still be around the team, or it is just a $350,000 per season cap hit in the AHL, if he wants to start his next career as a player-coach.

Reactions: ScaredStreit

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
MM is good for the locker room. He's our today's version of Bolton. We signed him for YEARS and he played like 4 games a season. Gotta have that culture!

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
MM is good for the locker room. He's our today's version of Bolton. We signed him for YEARS and he played like 4 games a season. Gotta have that culture!
If you're talking about Boulton, I think it was a series of one-year deals, maybe even two-way, but get your point otherwise and agree with it.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
MM can play though. Boulton was signed to help JT become a leader in the NHL...

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
If you're talking about Boulton, I think it was a series of one-year deals, maybe even two-way, but get your point otherwise and agree with it.
I think he’s talking about Michael Bolton. They kept signing up for the all Michael Bolton radio station, cause it’s great for getting hyped before a game.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Why does Matt Martin bring chemistry to a team. You can't measure this in corsi stats. The guy almost ended his career defending a teammate. Respect him for being one of the first to stand up to Babcock, and at the cost of not seeing much ice after the incident. It all worked out, he is back home now on the ID line.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Martin was an absolute warrior during the playoffs and always wears his heart on his sleeve. He might not don the 'C' but he is still a true leader on the team.

Reactions: beach

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Why does Matt Martin bring chemistry to a team. You can't measure this in corsi stats. The guy almost ended his career defending a teammate. Respect him for being one of the first to stand up to Babcock, and at the cost of not seeing much ice after the incident. It all worked out, he is back home now on the ID line.

What happened here? Babcock called out Marner for something (I forget) and Martin stepped up to Babcock? I remember the Babcock part - don't remember the Martin part though.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What happened here? Babcock called out Marner for something (I forget) and Martin stepped up to Babcock? I remember the Babcock part - don't remember the Martin part though.
Here was the story as per Matt O'Leary. Eyes on Isles. Legendary stuff.
Apparently, teammates didn’t get mad at Mitch Marner, a rookie who was just trying to please his coach, instead, one, in particular, turned against Mike Babcock. That player is now New York Islanders forward Matt Martin.
According to TML Updates, Matt Martin confronted Mike Babcock about the situation and wouldn’t let it go. The initial confrontation was heated and it had to be broken up by Leo Komarov, who is now also an Islander.

Islanders: Matt Martin Defends Mitch Marner Against Mike Babcock

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

Who cares, you see his cap hit? The term of his deal? I mean another guy referenced in there is also a waste of space too (pun intended).

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Interesting I looked up the leafs roster for that year - four alternate captains (including Leo) and no Captain. And Babcock bullying the kid. Sounds like a great organizational structure.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Martin was an absolute warrior during the playoffs and always wears his heart on his sleeve. He might not don the 'C' but he is still a true leader on the team.

I'm not happy with the term, but character does matter. Matty Marts brings a lot to the locker room, better to have too much leadership than not enough. The money is fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad