Player Discussion: Matt Martin

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Personally I'm more worried about an accumulation of dead contracts like Andrew Ladd's (I'm pretty sure he took care of himself but two bad knees and a bad back later it doesn't matter) but sure.

Personally i am more worried about a team on the brink of good things like last year...did not sign the guys who leave it all on the ice....remember the 2 past years when there were no playoffs?....You can sign any player and injuries occur..be more worried about the Brazal type contracts...Which Lou appears to be doing.and what they bring and do not....#17 has been pounding the league for 10 years and hasn't missed a beat even when bench doors are left open...he was back in record time...Some guys are just physical specimens/this comes from proper workout regiment and living style...Clutter/Casey also bounced back....they live and play for the bigger picture and each other...Lose the glue and all you have are loose parts....Great job getting this done Lou!

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Wonder if original offer was in the 2x2 range, maybe 2x2.25, but Martin has a young family and maybe wants to stay on the Island long-term. Could see him getting a job with org after his playing days.
I wonder if the competing offers were in the 2-2.5 range for a couple years and this just makes it the same cash at much less cap hit and risk (esp with a buyout or ship him to AHL/IR) to stay home. If the owners have the cash and willing to spend it, I have 0 issues with this particular structure of deal for this specific player.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Personally i am more worried about a team on the brink of good things like last year...did not sign the guys who leave it all on the ice....remember the 2 past years when there were no playoffs?....You can sign any player and injuries occur..be more worried about the Brazal type contracts...Which Lou appears to be doing.and what they bring and do not....#17 has been pounding the league for 10 years and hasn't missed a beat even when bench doors are left open...he was back in record time...Some guys are just physical specimens/this comes from proper workout regiment and living style...Clutter/Casey also bounced back....they live and play for the bigger picture and each other...Lose the glue and all you have are loose parts....Great job getting this done Lou!
I remember the years of no playoffs, Doug Weight was coaching.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
I wonder if the competing offers were in the 2-2.5 range for a couple years and this just makes it the same cash at much less cap hit and risk (esp with a buyout or ship him to AHL/IR) to stay home. If the owners have the cash and willing to spend it, I have 0 issues with this particular structure of deal for this specific player.

Makes sense. Spread the hit out, stay on the Island, $20M+ in career earnings and assuredly a career with the team in some capacity when he hangs 'em up. Life is good.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I wasn’t taking a side either way. Just thought your point about Martin’s newfound financial security was strange.

Gotcha, then that might be part of the misunderstanding. I wasn't just referencing financial security in terms of standalone $$$ but also stability, in ideally not being shuffled around be it via trade or expansion, as a derivation due to the length of the contract.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Can't see it right now. His salary this season will be 4 mil, and if he manages to stay healthy (no guarantee!) he doesn't really have any reason to take a big discount. Line is greater than the sum of its parts, yadda yadda, but he's the backbone of it and other teams know it.

Martin is taking a pay cut because nobody was giving him close to 2.5 mil, Lou at least recognized that much. Shot in the dark but if the Rangers were in on him, I'd guess they offered 1-1.5 mil for two years max. Other teams saw what happened with him in Toronto and they're not going to pay much for a potential repeat.
Ok yeah, that's wishful thinking on my part. I retract that.

One thing though, Staple said Martin generated interest but returned to the Island. I don't feel comfortable guessing what other teams did or didn't offer.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Tons of respect for Clutter and always will for the way he sacrifices the body, but you remember him getting helped off the ice prior to back surgery? And the sliced tendons? You can keep in shape as much as you want, but shit happens. Just ask Johnny Boychuk.

For his own quality of life I hope he retires at the end of the current contract, 35 and able to play with his kids and his dog.
and his wife :nod:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He would have signed a one or two year deal? Really? How do YOU know that.

He went for term in his last deal. He’s doing so again on this one. Seems obvious he wants term.
I know because of logic and common sense. Do the math.
Look at the state of the league. The cap isn’t moving and teams are up against it.

One of the greatest Defenseman of all time and 15 year captain Chara just signed a 1 year deal with another team for $750k + $750k in bonuses. He’s still a top6 defenseman and has Stanley cup and tons of leadership and experience.

Corey Perry 1yr $750k

Carl Sodarberg 1yr $1mil

Derik Brassard 1yr $1mil

Connor Sheary 1yr $735k

Michael Frolik 1yr $750k

Anthony Duclair 1yr $1.7mil young top9 winger who was on pace for 30 goals last year.

Micheal Grandlund 1yr $3.5mil

Eric Haula 1yr $1.75mil

Bogosian 1yr $1mil. Right handed shot defensman who played good in the playoffs and won a cup.

Galchenyuk 1yr $1mil

Vessey 1yr $900k

Taylor Hall. An elite MVP Winger in his prime as a UFA 1yr $8million.
Last offseason he would have gotten 7years $9+ million from someone.

You see the trend? Who was going to outbid or offer more than that for Martin?

Then add on this. Martin Loves being an island. He’s had success here and actually plays. When he left as a UFa last time he was a healthy scratch a lot. His wife and her entire family are on Long Island. They have a child who is less than a year old. With Covid so many things are uncertain and I highly doubt with everything considered Martin wanted to pack up and leave Long Island again.

If you add everything together it makes sense. Maybe the isles want to lock him up and make him feel secure. I don’t mind the AAV even though I think he would have gladly taken $1mil per but the 4 years to me is just unnecessary. it’s not going to hurt us or prevent us from anything and the contract is easy to bury if needed. I just don’t understand why 4years. The isles were bidding against themselves.

If you tell me about loyalty and rewarding a good soldier that’s fine but don’t expect to build a legit cup contender that way just rewarding guys because they’re good guys. You can be loyal and disciplined at the same time.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS

Then add on this. Martin Loves being an island. He’s had success here and actually plays. When he left as a UFa last time he was a healthy scratch a lot. His wife and her entire family are on Long Island. They have a child who is less than a year old. With Covid so many things are uncertain and I highly doubt with everything considered Martin wanted to pack up and leave Long Island again.

If you add everything together it makes sense. Maybe the isles want to lock him up and make him feel secure. I don’t mind the AAV even though I think he would have gladly taken $1mil per but the 4 years to me is just unnecessary. it’s not going to hurt us or prevent us from anything and the contract is easy to bury if needed. I just don’t understand why 4years. The isles were bidding against themselves.

If you tell me about loyalty and rewarding a good soldier that’s fine but don’t expect to build a legit cup contender that way just rewarding guys because they’re good guys. You can be loyal and disciplined at the same time.
We don't know the timing or what other offers there may have been. We're hearing about this now, but indications are it was done back when FA started. On day 1, after a really solid POs, maybe he had some offers with more $$s but less term before the market started drying up and the Isles added the term to get the dollars equal/better.

Not sure we'll ever know, given the Lou cone of silence around his deals.

Reactions: SI90

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Lou just went "wang" on us and decided to give Martin his lifetime contract.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise

ePoVX5P.gif

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I know because of logic and common sense. Do the math.
Look at the state of the league. The cap isn’t moving and teams are up against it.

One of the greatest Defenseman of all time and 15 year captain Chara just signed a 1 year deal with another team for $750k + $750k in bonuses. He’s still a top6 defenseman and has Stanley cup and tons of leadership and experience.

Corey Perry 1yr $750k

Carl Sodarberg 1yr $1mil

Derik Brassard 1yr $1mil

Connor Sheary 1yr $735k

Michael Frolik 1yr $750k

Anthony Duclair 1yr $1.7mil young top9 winger who was on pace for 30 goals last year.

Micheal Grandlund 1yr $3.5mil

Eric Haula 1yr $1.75mil

Bogosian 1yr $1mil. Right handed shot defensman who played good in the playoffs and won a cup.

Galchenyuk 1yr $1mil

Vessey 1yr $900k

Taylor Hall. An elite MVP Winger in his prime as a UFA 1yr $8million.
Last offseason he would have gotten 7years $9+ million from someone.

You have great points but I just think it’s really not a big deal, he isn’t going to ruin their cap at any point in the deal and Lou values the chemistry in the room and Martin is big part of that and perhaps even more so with Boychuk not in room any longer.

Reactions: ScaredStreit

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I remember the years of no playoffs, Doug Weight was coaching.
I'm not defending Doug Weight at all, but get a grip. You make it sound like he was coaching here for 15 long years and never made the playoffs. He was head coach for exactly one year and it was a run and gun disaster. But the year he took over an underachieving 17-17-8 team from Cap and then went 24-12-4 in the final 40 games and missed the playoffs by a point you could hardly blame him for not making the playoffs that year.

Reactions: ronsatter

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
You have great points but I just think it’s really not a big deal, he isn’t going to ruin their cap at any point in the deal and Lou values the chemistry in the room and Martin is big part of that and perhaps even more so with Boychuk not in room any longer.
He’s not going to ruin the cap. I’m not upset about it the $1.5 AAV. I’m not even really upset about that term. I just think he was an unnecessary risk that didn’t need to be done. Martin plays a heavy game and have style. Cizikas is going to be 30 this year. Look at all the injuries Clutterbuck is going through. Cizikas is starting to accumulate the injuries as well. These guys typically break down sooner.

Reactions: seabass45

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
He’s not going to ruin the cap. I’m not upset about it the $1.5 AAV. I’m not even really upset about that term. I just think he was an unnecessary risk that didn’t need to be done. Martin plays a heavy game and have style. Cizikas is going to be 30 this year. Look at all the injuries Clutterbuck is going through. Cizikas is starting to accumulate the injuries as well. These guys typically break down sooner.
But even if he does it’s not a lot of money they would need to overcome cap wise. I don’t see it as that big of risk.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It's not a big deal in a vacuum but this is hardly an isolated overpay. This is a pattern with Lou and the effect of the overpays for bottom 6/pair players, and players not on the NHL roster anymore, is cumulative.

Glue is important. But not as important as what it is you're gluing together.

Reactions: road islander

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Hard to comment when it comes to a guy you truly admire. I can see fair arguments on both sides. I was hoping 2 years at 1 mil TBH.

Obviously I'm happy he will most likely retire a Islander.

Rangers
Goals: 0
Assists: 0
Assists 0
Assists 0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

SI

Feb 16, 2013

Can you imagine what Casey gets resigned for?

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
It's a bad contract whichever way you look at it. Far too many years although the money is ok. One can only hope that it is front loaded so that the final two years are league minimum. That would mean demoting him or LTIRing him actually works in our favour.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It's a bad contract whichever way you look at it. Far too many years although the money is ok. One can only hope that it is front loaded so that the final two years are league minimum. That would mean demoting him or LTIRing him actually works in our favour.

If the 4x $1.5m is correct then about the lowest the final two years can average is around $1.2m each.

joekono

Apr 29, 2016
Roxbury,New Jersey
Glad they kept him because hopefully Cizikas can get signed and get a replacement for Clutterbuck. His body has had it. Still need this line because of the style of play, boring or not, they've been inching up since Trotz got here. We are going to win the Cup with this system, so may as well fill the pieces. Take care of Barzy now and go from there. Lou isn't stupid either. This is not the year to make jumpy moves because after all, it's another shortened season. Sucks about Hoffman going to the Blues most likely(would of fit perfect), but we all know what they need, I just want them to straighten out the Salary Cap hell they are in before 21-22 because they can win the Cup in the next 3 years, I truly believe that.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00