Player Discussion: Matt Martin

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I truly love his game. He plays the right way and busts his ass every night. I understand he doesn't have top 9 skill, but idgaf when you play with 100% heart.

Since last season's playoffs and throughout this year, he's also stepped up his offensive input.

The overall numbers aren't eye popping but he's been money in clutch situations.

Despite the outrage after he inked his recent deal, he's outperformed his contract thus far.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
I truly love his game. He plays the right way and busts his ass every night. I understand he doesn't have top 9 skill, but idgaf when you play with 100% heart.
i have always thought that he has decent hands and instincts. he won't win many races, but like you say, he busts his ass every night. sticks up for mates, and that is pretty important stuff.

i would rather him at #1LW. and maybe time to throw Wally up there too. chemistry is something important, and the only way to know if they have it, is to try it.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I’ve been wrong about Matt Martin every step of the way. I was wrong about him before the Isles let him walk, wrong about him when Lou brought him back, wrong when Lou extended him this summer. I thought his skating was dreadful last season before the pause and didn’t see any worth to keeping MM here any longer. But he keeps proving me wrong so good on Matt Martin. I hope he makes me eat my words for years to come.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I’ve been wrong about Matt Martin every step of the way. I was wrong about him before the Isles let him walk, wrong about him when Lou brought him back, wrong when Lou extended him this summer. I thought his skating was dreadful last season before the pause and didn’t see any worth to keeping MM here any longer. But he keeps proving me wrong so good on Matt Martin. I hope he makes me eat my words for years to come.
When he left for Toronto we missed the playoffs those 2 seasons. We bring him back and in his 1st year when we were suppose to be dead last we made it to the playoffs. Now is directly because of Martin? NO SHOT! Did it help, I guarantee it. Insert men's warehouse commercial.

Reactions: buud and Kevin27NYI

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
First was... Jason Chimera was a huge upgrade. Chimera was a superior player, he just didn't mesh like Martin did.

Next was...Ross Johnston will easily replace him. Also proven false thus far.

I can't blame anyone for thinking either of the two were correct and glad he brings the leadership and heart for a small amount of money in terms of the NHL.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
First was... Jason Chimera was a huge upgrade. Chimera was a superior player, he just didn't mesh like Martin did.

Next was...Ross Johnston will easily replace him. Also proven false thus far.

I can't blame anyone for thinking either of the two were correct and glad he brings the leadership and heart for a small amount of money in terms of the NHL.

Chimera was a more productive player in his first season here for sure, that second was absolutely dreadful.

Martin a glue guy for sure. I still think Johnston can play a much better game but Martin seems to be Mr. Intangibles. He's also transformed his game quite a bit from his younger years. He's not looking to scrap as much, he's not throwing unnecessary hits that take him out of position. He's much more refined.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Go dye your hair!

Last edited:

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Chimera was a more productive player in his first season here for sure, that second was absolutely dreadful.

Martin a glue guy for sure. I still think Johnston can play a much better game but Martin seems to be Mr. Intangibles. He's also transformed his game quite a bit from his younger years. He's not looking to scrap as much, he's not throwing unnecessary hits that take him out of position. He's much more refined.

I will gladly say that as a player Chimera>>Martin. In terms of everything else as per the Islanders Martin>>Chimera.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
TBF, Chimera's second season was under Weight when everyone was awful. I wonder if his decline would've been quite so rapid if he had played under an even vaguely competent coach during that season.

But either way, glad Martin is an Islander and that he is making the most of his expanded role right now.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
TBF, Chimera's second season was under Weight when everyone was awful. I wonder if his decline would've been quite so rapid if he had played under an even vaguely competent coach during that season.

But either way, glad Martin is an Islander and that he is making the most of his expanded role right now.

Funny enough though, that's when his numbers went way down. He put up 20 for us in year one with 82 games. The second year, 2 goals in 58 games.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Funny enough though, that's when his numbers went way down. He put up 20 for us in year one with 82 games. The second year, 2 goals in 58 games.
Oh for sure, and it was clear he was more or less done offensively at that point. But if he was playing for a decent coach, I think he may have still been useful defensively.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I love Martin but I was against giving him such a long deal. I didn’t think it was necessary but there’s no doubt how important he is and how his presence affects the team.

he’s the modern day Mr. Islander.
Yeah, I would have preferred 2 years. I am putting myself in Lou's shoes, Martin already showed me he wants to come back, he shaved 1M off the cap hit, I got to reward my guy here with 2 extra years. Really the more I think about it, the ID line is the Islanders identity. They way Trotz talks about them, the way he trusts them. I have gone back and forth on whether the Isles should re-sign Casey, if he takes a 1M pay cut, I would take him back, and it's probably going to be another 4 year deal. Keep rolling the dice and hope these guys can hold up. The heart is there, just make sure the body is. In the regular season, they may have to rest them the odd game. The way they play does take it's toll, But when you see the impact in last night's game, and what you hear Martin does for the room. I don't think Johnston has the same it factor as Matty does. No disrespect to Johnston, it's just the chemistry these 3 guys have on the ice. Hard to explain.

Reactions: SI90

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
As a Leaf fan, I’m sad for us but happy for you and Matt that Kyle Dubas is a dipshit.

all the best in round 3.
just wanted to say Pookie that I lurk your boards alot, and that you are my fav ;) you always have the most level-headed takes IMHO

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00