Player Discussion Matt Grzelcyk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
If there was no suspension here I really would have no idea what would be suspension worthy !!!

I have heard a couple of analysts say that they had no issue with the hit...... Huh???

How the hell does this HEADSHOT with INTENT not warrant a suspension??????
Oh I know- I was floored when the announcers said it was a clean hit, not suspension worthy. For a two minute PP which the B's didn't score on- we managed to lose a good defenseman who may not return the rest of the playoffs. I am glad he got suspended for at least one game, although, it just doesn't seem enough when you that Gryz may be done for the year now.

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
I've been on a twitter mission to rectify this faulty thinking, but I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. Here's the video i keep sharing. Interestingly, not many people continue the fight when they see it:

There are times when I feel shoulder to shoulder hits should be banned from the game. That video right there is a good example of why I feel this way. Nordstrom isn't a dirty player, but he could have concussed Blais there. Sure, the hit is legal, but not always without consequences.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
There are times when I feel shoulder to shoulder hits should be banned from the game. That video right there is a good example of why I feel this way. Nordstrom isn't a dirty player, but he could have concussed Blais there. Sure, the hit is legal, but not always without consequences.

The one hit, I think the NHL could benefit from taking out of the game is the one behind the goal line. There's been way too many head injuries over the last 10+ years. The players have become much faster and powerful skaters and every time a puck is dumped into a corner, it becomes open season on a defenseman.

If their serious about protecting players and eliminating head injuries, this should be their first step.

I love a clean open ice hit, but truth be told there's only a handful of players who know how to deliver one. Its a lot easier to dump the puck in the corner and try to take a guys lively hood away from him by running him through the boards. The NHL has a great product, the fastest most exciting sport going and they need to do a better job of protecting their assets.

Last edited:

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
The one hit, I think the NHL could benefit from taking out of the game is the one behind the goal line. There's been way too many head injuries over the last 10+ years. The players have become much faster and powerful skaters and every time a puck is dumped into a corner, it becomes open season on a defenseman.

If their serious about protecting players and eliminating head injuries, this should be their first step.

I love a clean open ice, but truth be told there's only a handful of players who know how to deliver one. Its a lot easier to dump the puck in the corner and try to take a guys lively hood away from him by running him through the boards. The NHL has a great product, the fastest most exciting sport going and they need to do a better job of protecting their assets.
I know I'm alone on this one.
I put a lot of blame on the NHLPA, if you are there to take care of your product (the players ). If your main goal is to protect the players long term best interest rights and well being?
Then it's of the players advantage not to damage the product? Damaging themselves.

This to me is mind blowing.
If you can't thrust the league with your money...
you also can't thrust the league with your safety and security.

Last edited:

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles

What part of the body will be left to hit?

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I blame it more on the inconsistency of the officials. The hit was bad and Sundqvist clearly saw Grizz's numbers well before hand. He should of been able to hold up, but the problem lies with the officials letting it go way to often and only making the call if there appears to be an injury.

At the start of the game I believe it was Blais on Carlo, drove him square in the back right between the numbers and into the boards, no penalty called although according to the NHL rules this is a penalty as it should be considering he harm it can do to the player receiving the hit.

Its a dangerous hit which could end a players career. The league wants to take hits like this out of the game, then its time the officials start protecting the game/players and making the calls.

Blais has thrown several of those hits, leaping from behind especially on Carlo. I hope the Bruins pointed it out because we will get a lot of PPs once again.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Was their any update on Gryz other than him being in concussion protocol?

I assume he didn’t travel with the team to St. Louis, correct?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Was their any update on Gryz other than him being in concussion protocol?

I assume he didn’t travel with the team to St. Louis, correct?
Did not travel.

Cassidy said he was in a much better place than he was after the hit and they will see where he is when they get back to Boston.

Probably won't know anything until tomorrow b/c today is a travel day

Reactions: Lady Rhian

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Did not travel.

Cassidy said he was in a much better place than he was after the hit and they will see where he is when they get back to Boston.

Probably won't know anything until tomorrow b/c today is a travel day

Thank you :)

Hoping he’s able to return at some point in the series, but with the severity of the hit I’m not counting on it.

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON

I love a clean open ice hit, but truth be told there's only a handful of players who know how to deliver one. Its a lot easier to dump the puck in the corner and try to take a guys lively hood away from him by running him through the boards. The NHL has a great product, the fastest most exciting sport going and they need to do a better job of protecting their assets.
Is the "behind the goal line" hit the new "hit to prevent icing?" Remember all the careers done in from guys ruining their legs racing into the boards to prevent the icing?

At the end of the day, what does slamming someone head-first into the end-boards accomplish?

Reactions: Lady Rhian and TCB

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Is the "behind the goal line" hit the new "hit to prevent icing?" Remember all the careers done in from guys ruining their legs racing into the boards to prevent the icing?

At the end of the day, what does slamming someone head-first into the end-boards accomplish?

In this case specifically it might have won the Blues a cup ‍♀️

Hurting the other teams players usually helps.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Yeah, That's a great point. Lets stop the play so players can't get hit/possibly injured when the puck is sent in before the center ice line, but after the center ice line their open game.:shakehead Simple solution , no checks behind the goal line.How about save your product, protect the players and the future of the game.

Only the NHL.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Fits Berube’s troglodytic modus operandi from when he played.
Sure does I remember when Berube was coaching the flyers, he actually tried to pick a fight with Byffuglien.

The one thing when he was crying about all the penalty's against them when the Bruins beat them 7-2. Well the second one was on him, as he lost a challenge, because he didn't know the rules and the last of the 4 penalty's was when the game was out of reach and one of his players gave Accairi a two-hander after he made it 6-2, but some how he managed to influence the NHL with his little sympathy speech. Un-f-believable!

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Sure does I remember when Berube was coaching the flyers, he actually tried to pick a fight with Byffuglien.

The one thing when he was crying about all the penalty's against them when the Bruins beat them 7-2. Well the second one was on him, as he lost a challenge, because he didn't know the rules and the last of the 4 penalty's was when the game was out of reach and one of his players gave Accairi a two-hander after he made it 6-2, but some how he managed to influence the NHL with his little sympathy speech. Un-f-believable!
I can just see the headline now:

Berube Brings Blues Cup using Boston’s 1970s Big Bad Bruins Blueprint

Reactions: Lady Rhian
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad