Player Discussion Matt Grzelcyk

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Sundqvist's been good these playoffs. 4 goals, 5 assists, and best plus/minus (+8) on the Blues along with Bouwmeester. That's better production than DeBrusk and equal Marcus Johansson. Are DeBrusk and Johansson also scrubs?

Good God. JDB is a million times the player Sundqvist is. Debrusk has nearly as many goals this year as Sundqvist had points. JDB is also averaging double the PPG that Sunqvist has for their careers. .62 PPG vs .31 PPG for OS. So comparing them to each other is literally ridiculous. It's funny because JDB's line has struggled in the playoffs, and despite him struggling and Sunqvist playing well above his own usual level, JDB has one less point during this run. So I stand by my OP. Losing Sundqvist for a game is not a big deal for the Blues.

BruinFanSam

Mar 24, 2010
Boston
Good God. JDB is a million times the player Sundqvist is. Debrusk has nearly as many goals this year as Sundqvist had points. JDB is also averaging double the PPG that Sunqvist has for their careers. .62 PPG vs .31 PPG for OS. So comparing them to each other is literally ridiculous. It's funny because JDB's line has struggled in the playoffs, and despite him struggling and Sunqvist playing well above his own usual level, JDB has one less point during this run. So I stand by my OP. Losing Sundqvist for a game is not a big deal for the Blues.

While I dont think he is a great player, even Berube has stated that he is an important guy for them in terms of match-ups. IMO this time of year ANY change to your lines can be disruptive. Look at our 4th line when we got Kuraly back!

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
While I dont think he is a great player, even Berube has stated that he is an important guy for them in terms of match-ups. IMO this time of year ANY change to your lines can be disruptive. Look at our 4th line when we got Kuraly back!

Them losing Sunqvist for a game is nothing like the impact of the Bruins losing DeBrusk or Johansson

Reactions: LSCII

MAINE-IAC

Feb 12, 2003
southern maine
I think it’s a fair penalty but In some cases I would like to see players suspended until the injured player can return. Not really the case here but definitely others.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Players will do what they can get away with. It's up to the refs and league to moderate dirty play. They have very much turned a blind eye to the Blues this season. It's real simple. If a team starts getting called hardcore for shenanigans in big games then the shenanigans will cease. The Blues have been enabled all playoffs to play dirty. They are also a good team. Giving them the advantage to take liberties makes it that much more difficult to beat them. They were trying to injure Jake and Krug last game, arguably Rask as well (when is the last time you saw a goalie plowed into TWICE in a scf game?). This is why I wanted the Sharks so bad. It sucks having to play a protected team like the Blues.

dtam83

Jun 8, 2011
Boston
not a good trade off. getting a 5 min major in game 2 would have been better than him being suspended 1 game

Reactions: LSCII

berglund58

May 22, 2019
(Blues fan) - Can't argue with a game suspension seeing the result. One of the prior comments talked about how often players get hit in the numbers going back to play a puck and I think that was Sundqvist's intent, but it went awry when Gryz put himself in an awkward position. I don't think there was intent to injure, but he still did and got punished for it. I imagine anything more than a game suspension in a finals would have to be a Raffi Torres type situation. The loss of Sundqvist does hurt the Blues 4th line, which has played similar even strength minutes to the other 3 lines during the playoffs and he is one of the better penalty killers for the Blues.

Also, it was Bortuzzo that slashed Debrusk.

Reactions: Lady Rhian

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
(Blues fan) - Can't argue with a game suspension seeing the result. One of the prior comments talked about how often players get hit in the numbers going back to play a puck and I think that was Sundqvist's intent, but it went awry when Gryz put himself in an awkward position. I don't think there was intent to injure, but he still did and got punished for it. I imagine anything more than a game suspension in a finals would have to be a Raffi Torres type situation. The loss of Sundqvist does hurt the Blues 4th line, which has played similar even strength minutes to the other 3 lines during the playoffs and he is one of the better penalty killers for the Blues.

Whatever. Sell that nonsense someplace else. We're all stocked up here.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
This thread is everything wrong with how fans view the league and suspensions, etc

WELL YOUR GUY DID THIS!! LETS FREEZE FRAME ONE THING TO SHOW IM RIGHT, INSTEAD SHOWING THE WHOLE PLAY

Yes a guy getting pasted from behind into the boards and his head hitting the glass, is totally the same thing as shoulder to shoulder contact that catches the head at the very end after the contact is finished.

Reactions: TCB and Kreegz2

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I suspect the league has issued a warning to St. Louis about their little game plan. I also expect the refs to clamp down on things going forward which is what happened in game 3 vs. Columbus.

Yea I realize the Bruins are no angels but none of our guys have been intentionally running guys all playoffs like they have.

It almost seems like the Blues have possibly put a bounty on certain players from the opposing team (I have no proof but when you look into each series it's hard to ignore)

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

I blame it more on the inconsistency of the officials. The hit was bad and Sundqvist clearly saw Grizz's numbers well before hand. He should of been able to hold up, but the problem lies with the officials letting it go way to often and only making the call if there appears to be an injury.

At the start of the game I believe it was Blais on Carlo, drove him square in the back right between the numbers and into the boards, no penalty called although according to the NHL rules this is a penalty as it should be considering he harm it can do to the player receiving the hit.

Its a dangerous hit which could end a players career. The league wants to take hits like this out of the game, then its time the officials start protecting the game/players and making the calls.

berglund58

May 22, 2019
I blame it more on the inconsistency of the officials. The hit was bad and Sundqvist clearly saw Grizz's numbers well before hand. He should of been able to hold up, but the problem lies with the officials letting it go way to often and only making the call if there appears to be an injury.

At the start of the game I believe it was Blais on Carlo, drove him square in the back right between the numbers and into the boards, no penalty called although according to the NHL rules this is a penalty as it should be considering he harm it can do to the player receiving the hit.

Its a dangerous hit which could end a players career. The league wants to take hits like this out of the game, then its time the officials start protecting the game/players and making the calls.

I agree. Those are the types of hits the league has accepted occurring in games. Those hits are all penalties according to the rulebook. It seems with how it's (not) called, if the dman goes upright against the glass, they're free game to be hit.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Not the first team of meanies I've seen skating around in the playoffs. Make life difficult for them. Can't let players like Tarasenko feel comfortable trying to make highlight real goals out there. He should be cautiously skating with his head up

Reactions: HockeyMomx2 and TCB

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Not the first team of meanies I've seen skating around in the playoffs. Make life difficult for them. Can't let players like Tarasenko feel comfortable trying to make highlight real goals out there. He should be cautiously skating with his head up
B`s need to move the puck quickly like they did after the 1st period in game 1.

Thought they all but eliminated the Blues chance to play physical by making quick puck decisions and dishing it long before a Blues player could apply any pressure or use their body.

Game 2, Blues played quicker but the B`s D didn`t move the puck nearly quick enough and the forwards didn`t drop down nearly low enough in their own zone to give the D an easy outlet pass.

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
If there was no suspension here I really would have no idea what would be suspension worthy !!!

I have heard a couple of analysts say that they had no issue with the hit...... Huh???

How the hell does this HEADSHOT with INTENT not warrant a suspension??????

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario

Thought they all but eliminated the Blues chance to play physical by making quick puck decisions and dishing it long before a Blues player could apply any pressure or use their body.

Game 2, Blues played quicker but the B`s D didn`t move the puck nearly quick enough and the forwards didn`t drop down nearly low enough in their own zone to give the D an easy outlet pass.
I also thought the D was guilty of maybe rushing the plays ,maybe got a

Yes definitely have to be better getting it out,not necessarily always quicker but definitely smarter,I thought they were guilty sometimes of just trying to move it as quickly as possible,but really with out a plan ,sometimes moving it maybe just to avoid getting hit,kind of thought that with Carlo after he took that big hit.Can’t say I blame him especially after the hit on Gryz.

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
not a good trade off. getting a 5 min major in game 2 would have been better than him being suspended 1 game
I don't know if I could handle a pass, pass, pass, pass, thread to the Blues player, puck cleared out of the zone, for five minutes. Or pass, pass, pass, pass, thread to Marchand or whoever the unlucky forward is on the point- misses connecting with the forward completely as it goes out of the zone or a Blues player intercepts it and clears it for five minutes.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
This thread is everything wrong with how fans view the league and suspensions, etc

WELL YOUR GUY DID THIS!! LETS FREEZE FRAME ONE THING TO SHOW IM RIGHT, INSTEAD SHOWING THE WHOLE PLAY

Yes a guy getting pasted from behind into the boards and his head hitting the glass, is totally the same thing as shoulder to shoulder contact that catches the head at the very end after the contact is finished.

I've been on a twitter mission to rectify this faulty thinking, but I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. Here's the video i keep sharing. Interestingly, not many people continue the fight when they see it:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad