Player Discussion Matt Grzelcyk

Status
Not open for further replies.

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
Yes and they lost to a bigger team. That’s my point. Big teams win the cup. Hate to say it.

If you look at Chicago at their heyday or Pittsburgh during their back to back cup wins, they didn't exactly have huge bruising d-cores. They built their defense around smart, mobile, two-way defencemen. Sweeney seems to have tried to remodel Bruins defence post-2015 based on that blueprint and it got them to Game 7 of Stanley Cup finals and to President's Trophy the following year.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If you look at Chicago at their heyday or Pittsburgh during their back to back cup wins, they didn't exactly have huge bruising d-cores. They built their defense around smart, mobile, two-way defencemen. Sweeney seems to have tried to remodel Bruins defence post-2015 based on that blueprint and it got them to Game 7 of Stanley Cup finals and to President's Trophy the following year.

I quite agree. Lots of fans of big physical defensemen like to reference the Caps and Tom Wilson, but the reality is is that are few Tom Wilsons in the league. There are not very many power types like Charlie Coyle either. Smaller defensemen are by and large fine these days, especially if they can skate and dodge like Gryz and can move the puck quickly and accurately.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Just looking at the advanced numbers, is Grzelcyk underrated even among B's fans? Was looking at some traditional and rel numbers at 5v5 this morning and thought this was interesting...

Rank Among B's Players
TOI/G - 2nd
CF% rel - 1st
SF% rel - 2nd
GF% rel - 15th
xGF% rel - 1st
HDCF% rel - 2nd
TkA - 8th
Blks - 5th

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Just looking at the advanced numbers, is Grzelcyk underrated even among B's fans? Was looking at some traditional and rel numbers at 5v5 this morning and thought this was interesting...

Rank Among B's Players
TOI/G - 2nd
CF% rel - 1st
SF% rel - 2nd
GF% rel - 15th
xGF% rel - 1st
HDCF% rel - 2nd
TkA - 8th
Blks - 5th

He's been an advanced stats darling for years. I think he goes unappreciated because he doesn't put up a lot of points.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He's been an advanced stats darling for years. I think he goes unappreciated because he doesn't put up a lot of points.

He'd put up more if he was consistently put in a position to do so. 20-30 seconds of PP time on a man advantage, 3rd pair matchups putting him out there with such offensive dynamos like Wagner, Kuraly, Lindholm, Ritchie etc.

Reactions: Kalus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad